General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Random hesitation and backfire

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 01:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Random hesitation and backfire

My car just today started hesitating for a second and then it would go again. at first it was only around 2k rpms and in a certain gear. Now it is becoming more random but doesnt seem to do it in the higher rpms. I was at 2.5k then it just dropped foot on the gas to 2k then again to about 1.7k and then back up. I am not sure what could be causing this problem. Also I have had random backfires ever since i had a crankshaft sensor problem. That sensor has been replaced within the last week but i still get a few random backfires
Old 09-29-2016, 01:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

check o2 sensors and codes. Is your SES light blinking?
Old 09-30-2016, 10:57 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by usnfenix
check o2 sensors and codes. Is your SES light blinking?
nope no light at all thats whats throwing me off
Old 09-30-2016, 11:00 AM
Teching In

it got worse today mostly when i got to 4th gear at 2k and 5th at 1.5k. Almost undrivable. It was almost like it was trying to shut off and the rpms would even go to 0 completely while i am driving and cant really give it gas at all. If i do it just backfires really loud a few times
Old 10-01-2016, 05:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Not on my T/A, but my Maxima once had some sporadic hesitation at different RPM's with no CEL. It was a coil pack going out. Not knowing which one, I swapped them all with my spare set. One day I may have to figure out which one is bad.

Does the LS1 have 8 or 4 coil packs? If there is one per cylinder I wouldn't think it would cause that much trouble, but if they're doubled up that might make more sense.
Old 10-02-2016, 06:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by komik
Not on my T/A, but my Maxima once had some sporadic hesitation at different RPM's with no CEL. It was a coil pack going out. Not knowing which one, I swapped them all with my spare set. One day I may have to figure out which one is bad.

Does the LS1 have 8 or 4 coil packs? If there is one per cylinder I wouldn't think it would cause that much trouble, but if they're doubled up that might make more sense.
Did you get her pop the hood on your T/A? The LS1 has a coil per cylinder.
Old 10-02-2016, 11:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by King Nothing
Did you get her pop the hood on your T/A? The LS1 has a coil per cylinder.
Sorry. I do no own a T/A at present and could not remember the setup. My '98 Grand Prix GTP had paired coils which were interchangeable between that 3.8 and the 3.1 in my mother's Grand Am back in the day. Currently my V6 Maxima and LS2 GTO each have one coil pack per cylinder as well.
Old 10-03-2016, 08:30 AM
Teching In

It ended up being the wiring to the crank sensor. The headers had melted through the heat shield and plastic housing all those wires. But now that I had someone fix that I have another problem of my check engine light flashing only when i accelerate so i cant get a code and I almost feel a little bit of a clunkiness in the gas pedal. I was told to change my o2 but not so sure thats all thats wrong
Old 10-03-2016, 12:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Even if theres no constant light on the dash I believe you can still recall the code on a good scan reader. Someone correct me if im wrong. Either way sounds like you need to datalog to see whats going on during that check gauges flash.

Quick Reply: Random hesitation and backfire