General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Trans am Hard starts

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 07:28 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans am Hard starts

99 pontiac firebird vert ws6

So ive noticed that my car basically starts up when it wants too. Sometimes it will start up as soon as i turn the key, and other times it will take a few seconds.

Ive tried priming the key forward several times before attempting to start it , but it does not make a difference, it will hard start if it wants to.

I also figured maybe it was only a cold start issue, but no.. sometimes it starts right up from a cold start without hesitation.

the car does have a racetronix fuel pump installed by the Previous owner, i ended up finding the install paperwork in the car after purchase.

Does anyone know what could cause this issue? I plan on starting small by swapping the fuel filter in the next few days and see if it makes a difference and im looking for suggestions on what else to check
Old 10-12-2016, 10:51 AM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

A dirty MAF causes hard starts. $6.00 for a can of spray cleaner. Clean it real good. Also hit the IAT sensor in the lid with the same spray.

Old 10-12-2016, 11:13 AM
Staging Lane

really? i was not aware of that, i will definitely give that a try.
Old 10-12-2016, 03:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Replace the Ignition relay
Old 10-19-2016, 10:01 AM
Staging Lane

UPDATE

Cleaned MAF still hard starting,any other suggestions?
Old 10-19-2016, 01:43 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,795 Likes on 1,279 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

If it's random then I highly doubt there is any clog in the fuel filter. Never a bad idea to change this though.

Do you have any DTCs (SES light)?

Does it crank/not crank normally when you attempt to start it and it has this issue (i.e. does the engine crank normal but just not fire)?

Have you checked fuel pressure (during cranking, running, and after shutdown)? Do you hear the fuel pump priming when you turn the key to "run"? I would also suggest checking the wiring for the aftermarket fuel pump setup.
Old 10-20-2016, 06:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by j0hn_j0hn08
UPDATE

Cleaned MAF still hard starting,any other suggestions?
Well damn...it was worth a try.....at least its clean.

-Now I would check the fuel pressure at the rails. Free tool rental almost everywhere.
-How old are the spark plugs? How many miles on them?
-Crankshaft Position Sensor could be starting to act up. When they start to act up they cause hard starts, no starts....then they will work 100% perfectly for a little while. And you WILL NOT necessarily get an SES light until it gets really bad where the engine starts shutting off while driving.
-Maybe the Cam Position sensor is acting up.
-Any sensor really that is acting up can cause hard starts. IAC, IAT, TPS
-You could have a loose ground wire on the back of the passengers side head.
-And I think even a bad cell in a battery can cause starting issues.....I thought someone had that issue once and it was the battery. Get a free battery check.

Old 10-20-2016, 07:33 PM
Staging Lane

Well the car does it at random. It primes as if It is going to start but takes longer than it should to the point where its almost embarrassing sometimes starting it up in public. It is not a charge/battery issue..sounds more like maybe fuel is taking longer than it should to get to the engine IMO

yes I do have two SES codes, one is an EVAP code which I suspect the EVAP solenoid by the tank, and the other is a high voltage detection on the SES light code. So basically its an SES code for the SES light..lol if that makes any sense.

not sure on how old the plugs and plug wires are, PO changed them, MSD wires are visible though and look in good shape. Havent had the car long enough to do the full tune up on it yet.

The maf was actually really dirty so I had my fingers crossed that it would fix the issue (found some feathers in there..odd I know) hah. I think fuel pressure will probably be my next one, thing is I know the fuel pump was replaced.. and the car runs great no hesistation no bogging.. its just the random start up issue...

If I invest in an OBD II reader would I be able to find the faulty sensors easily if there is any?

ALSO when I first got the car I double checked all the grounds and cleaned them really well, so I don't think its a ground problem but I will double check the ground behind the head just in case.

Last edited by j0hn_j0hn08; 10-20-2016 at 07:43 PM.
Old 10-23-2016, 06:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by j0hn_j0hn08
Well the car does it at random. It primes as if It is going to start but takes longer than it should to the point where its almost embarrassing sometimes starting it up in public. It is not a charge/battery issue..sounds more like maybe fuel is taking longer than it should to get to the engine IMO

yes I do have two SES codes, one is an EVAP code which I suspect the EVAP solenoid by the tank, and the other is a high voltage detection on the SES light code. So basically its an SES code for the SES light..lol if that makes any sense.

not sure on how old the plugs and plug wires are, PO changed them, MSD wires are visible though and look in good shape. Havent had the car long enough to do the full tune up on it yet.

The maf was actually really dirty so I had my fingers crossed that it would fix the issue (found some feathers in there..odd I know) hah. I think fuel pressure will probably be my next one, thing is I know the fuel pump was replaced.. and the car runs great no hesistation no bogging.. its just the random start up issue...

If I invest in an OBD II reader would I be able to find the faulty sensors easily if there is any?

ALSO when I first got the car I double checked all the grounds and cleaned them really well, so I don't think its a ground problem but I will double check the ground behind the head just in case.
Maybe someone else knows....but I think the rear EVAP solenoid might leak and lose pressure while its trying to prime the rails for a start....

That could be the solenoid to change.

Does it smell like raw gas outside sometimes?
See if you see it dripping right when you turn the key to "on" to prime it.

Old 10-24-2016, 12:54 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Have you tested the battery? Have you tested the starter? Have you checked the positive cables from the battery to the starter and to the fuse block?
Old 10-24-2016, 03:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RockinWs6
Replace the Ignition relay
This.... Swap it with the starter relay and see if your starter acts up.
Old 10-25-2016, 02:18 PM
Staging Lane

I'm having the EXACT same problem with my T/A.

I've replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter was replaced yesterday, plugs and wires are less than a year old, fuel pump relay was changed, when you put a mechanical fuel gauge to it, it reads 55-60 psi consistently.

Battery is brand new, car cranks strong, but it just takes a while to start and even when I prime it, it doesn't start within 1-2 seconds like its supposed to. It takes more like 5 seconds and sometimes it struggles to start but it eventually does. I cannot figure this out.
Old 10-25-2016, 02:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by Eric Trujillo
I'm having the EXACT same problem with my T/A.

I've replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter was replaced yesterday, plugs and wires are less than a year old, fuel pump relay was changed, when you put a mechanical fuel gauge to it, it reads 55-60 psi consistently.

Battery is brand new, car cranks strong, but it just takes a while to start and even when I prime it, it doesn't start within 1-2 seconds like its supposed to. It takes more like 5 seconds and sometimes it struggles to start but it eventually does. I cannot figure this out.
Thought about testing the starter yet?
Old 10-25-2016, 03:16 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by King Nothing
Thought about testing the starter yet?
Should I? I mean the car cranks well so I don't have a reason to suspect it, but I'll take a video of what it does when I leave work today so I can show you guys what I mean.
Old 10-25-2016, 03:25 PM
Staging Lane

when it starts does it run fine?
Old 10-25-2016, 03:43 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by someblackguy224
when it starts does it run fine?
99.9% of the time yes, I have had hiccups in the past of it shutting off if I've been driving it for a long time if its 95+ degrees outside, but that hasn't happened in a while. I'm still scared to take it on long trips because of that condition.
Old 10-25-2016, 03:57 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,795 Likes on 1,279 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Sounds like some of you guys might want to try replacing/swapping the ignition relay, as mentioned by two other members above.
Old 10-25-2016, 04:07 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Sounds like some of you guys might want to try replacing/swapping the ignition relay, as mentioned by two other members above.
^^^^^^^ this was going to be my suggestion, or coils if it didn't run well

is this tuned? if i missed it early i am sorry. but this could be a tuning concern
Old 10-25-2016, 04:24 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by someblackguy224
^^^^^^^ this was going to be my suggestion, or coils if it didn't run well

is this tuned? if i missed it early i am sorry. but this could be a tuning concern
Mine has a fairly mild tune on it, but it did this it before I got it tuned. I'll try swapping out the ignition relay and report back.
Old 10-26-2016, 07:59 AM
Staging Lane

compression test? if that all checks out....then reach out to the tuner and get it re-tune

Quick Reply: Trans am Hard starts