General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Turn Signal Flashers

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 01:41 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn Signal Flashers

As of lately when I use my right turn signal, the light stays solid and doesn't blink. I know the bulbs are working because I stood outside while the the right turn signal was engaged and I noticed that both the front right and back right turn signals light up, they just don't blink. Thankfully my left turn signal works normally. This is most likely a problem with a turn signal relay right?
Old 11-07-2016, 03:21 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Your bulbs have 2 filaments in them, 1 for the marker function and 1 that "blinks" when you activate the turn signal. Take the bulbs out and check the filaments. You can try swapping relays and see if that fixes it.
Old 11-07-2016, 07:23 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

If your hazard lights work, then the problem is definitely your turn signal flasher. (This rules out anything else it could be as the hazard circuit shares a number of components.)

BTW - Switching stock flashers may not work because the thermal heard flasher expects the full load of all the bulbs.
Old 11-07-2016, 12:54 PM
On The Tree

Wait so if stock flashers may not work then which one do you replace it with that is guaranteed to work??
Old 11-07-2016, 02:02 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by INFERNY
Wait so if stock flashers may not work then which one do you replace it with that is guaranteed to work??
Stock flashers will not work if you switch them. (Aftermarket electronic flashers would - but if you have a flasher problem, that's probably not what you have.)

There are two flashers in the car. One high power one for the hazards located to the left side of the steering wheel and one lower power one for the turn signals, located to the right of the steering wheel.
Old 11-07-2016, 07:10 PM
On The Tree

So about an hour ago my front right turn signal stopped working. The bulb burnt out and the rear turn signal would still stay constant...looks like I gotta replace a bulb now too
Old 11-08-2016, 06:13 AM
Save the manuals!

A bulb being out will cause the flasher to freeze. (This is by design.). Are you sure it wasn't out before? If your headlights were on, the parking lamp filament in the bulb will make it look on, even though the DRL/turn signal filament is out.
Old 11-08-2016, 02:36 PM
On The Tree

Yeah I checked it again this morning, my daytime running lights are fine and my turn signal bulb is out. I can see condensation within the turn signal housing. I guess I'm gonna have to replace the bulb and then find a way to keep water out of the housing
Old 11-08-2016, 05:08 PM
Save the manuals!

Yeah I checked it again this morning, my daytime running lights are fine and my turn signal bulb is out. I can see condensation within the turn signal housing. I guess I'm gonna have to replace the bulb and then find a way to keep water out of the housing
"Stop. Do not pass Go! Do not collect 200 dollars!"

That condensation is problem #1 and is 99% probably why the bulb is having problems. If you press on the lens, you may reveal a crack in it. (This is common and allows moisture in.) Water + Hot Bulb = Blown Filament or Exploded Bulb You might even have some corrosion in there causing issues...

So, ^ Check this first and see if you need a new lens. Some yellow lens tape will look ghetto but can get you back in business while you await for a new one to arrive.

Your DRL filament in the bulb IS your turn signal filament. So - If your DRL works and your turn signal does not, then you likely have a flasher issue, too. Did you do the hazard test, yet?

If your headlights are on and the light goes dim when your turn signals are on - this is normal for a bad flasher. The DRL module is driven by the flasher and will turn off your parking light in anticipation of a flash.

If your parking light is out when the headlights are on, then your parking light filament is blown out.
Old 11-08-2016, 09:28 PM
On The Tree

I tried out my hazard lights! They work flawlessly!
Old 11-08-2016, 10:23 PM
Save the manuals!

So, if your parking light works, it sounds like:
- Your bulb is fine
- Your flasher is bad
- You may need a new lens
Old 11-08-2016, 10:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

consider getting LEDs so they dont heat up the lens as much as stock bulbs. I was burning out my turn signal bulbs every few months due to cracked lenses. Ive since replaced my housings, switched to LED bulbs, and havent had any problems with my bulbs anymore. If you do this, you will have to change your flasher too.
Old 11-09-2016, 01:46 PM
On The Tree

I bought a new set of bulbs and I'm getting a new flasher soon. I'll find the culprit soon! And I heard that drilling a hole on the bottom of the assembly was a good way to drain the turn signal assembly of water in case it floods so I was thinking of doing that too
Old 11-09-2016, 07:27 PM
On The Tree

Turn Signal Flashers-photo622.jpg

Turn Signal Flashers-photo188.jpg

I fixed the turn signal!!! I took out the bulb and I found the issue! The old bulb was completely burnt out and there was this really nasty yellow goo inside the socket for the bulb. The hardest part was putting the headlight assembly back in
Old 11-09-2016, 09:08 PM
Save the manuals!

there was this really nasty yellow goo inside the socket for the bulb.
Ectoplasm, no doubt. (Or maybe old dielectric grease...) It's good to see the sockets looking well.

No picture of the moisture in the lens???
Old 11-11-2016, 02:31 PM
On The Tree

Turn Signal Flashers-photo830.jpg

Here's the moisture in the lens, it's only on this side
Old 11-11-2016, 06:20 PM
Save the manuals!

Oooo. That's a lot. Any signs of cracking? Did you press on the lens to see if there are any?

If that water doesn't go away, you'll keep blowing bulbs. They are such a PITA to replace. :Z
Old 11-11-2016, 06:39 PM
On The Tree

I checked for cracks, but unfortunately I haven't found any yet. I still need to drill the drain hole for the housing
Old 11-11-2016, 09:25 PM
Save the manuals!

I recall that the TA housings may leak in other ways. (I have the V6/Formula lights, which are different.) You may check out the Firebird section to see if you can find any other threads on the problem.
Old 01-07-2017, 09:49 PM

Hey, turn signals went haywire on me a while back, replaced the front turn signal bulbs and housing for the bulb. lens is cracked but no moisture inside, and the reverse lights are tied in the same system and obviously don't work either, where do I start, how do I do this, much appreciated! I already tried the fuse too btw it just keeps blowing as soon as I plug it in.

Quick Reply: Turn Signal Flashers