General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Headlight problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 09:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Headlight problems.....

After my car had been sitting all winter, i took it out last week and i noticed that the drivers side headlight did not want to come up when i turned the lights on, the passenger side is fine. so i turned the lights on and off a few times and then finally it popped up. but then when i turned the lights off, the passenger side went down and the drivers side just stayed up. i tried pushing it down a little but it wouldnt budge. and then as of last night it wont come up at all anymore..... initially i thought the motor was burned out, but it was kind of an intermittent problem before last night, and then i have searched and found that some people said that it could possibly be the gear inside. i dont want to buy a new motor because they are like $165 from GM and that is awfully expensive, i think. do you guys have any ideas on how to fix it, before i buy a new one. and is there any cheaper prices out there than $165? Thanks!
Old 02-28-2006, 01:21 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This happened to me twice within one year, so I converted to no flip up lights. I've had them on my car for almost three years, and haven't had one problem with them yet.
Attached Thumbnails Headlight problems-import-killer.jpg  
Old 02-28-2006, 01:55 PM
TECH Addict

I dont want to convert over because i dont have that much money to do that right now, i was just wondering if there was a cheaper fix that buying a new motor, or if anyone knew of someplace to buy one cheaper.
Old 02-28-2006, 02:06 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by B-MAN
This happened to me twice within one year, so I converted to no flip up lights. I've had them on my car for almost three years, and haven't had one problem with them yet.
Ooooh...nifty...

How much do those cost, and are they hard to install?
Old 02-28-2006, 02:40 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

98RedBird, there is a thread that I saw not more than two days ago about how to get your lights fixed for free. Ican't remeber where I read it though. Lok around LS1 tech, it's in here somewhere.

Ice Knight, you can buy them at www.breathlessperformance.com
I love thesae lights.
Old 02-28-2006, 09:38 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by B-MAN
98RedBird, there is a thread that I saw not more than two days ago about how to get your lights fixed for free. Ican't remeber where I read it though. Lok around LS1 tech, it's in here somewhere.

Ice Knight, you can buy them at www.breathlessperformance.com
I love thesae lights.
Its one of the FAQs over in the "Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002" section:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/pontiac-firebird-1967-2002/177470-firebird-headlights-all-comments-questions-regarding-headlights-go-here.html
Old 02-28-2006, 10:56 PM
TECH Addict

thanks, but i've already read through all of that material.... i was messing with it tonight and i can manually turn the gear, so, it's not the nylon gear on the inside... i also checked power and the motor is receiving 11.94V(when the voltmeter is attatched from the power wire to a known good ground) but when i test across the load the voltage drops to .01V. that seems awfully low almost like i have a bad ground. and the motor turned on tonight out of the blue, and just started rotating and sounded fine.. so i dont think the motor is burned up either... i think it might be a bad ground. what do you guys think?
Old 03-01-2006, 07:57 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check your fuses..i had a similar problem and it was a bad connection with the fuse...at first glance the fusees looked fine(they were not blown) but when you pull them out and put them back in you can hear the relay click on and off...if the relay doesn't click use a new fuse.. i figured this out AFTER i took out the motor checked the gears and put it all back together..