General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Key on, Headlights on?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 07:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key on, Headlights on?

I don't know what is causing this, or if it's normal or what. But when I turn my key to the on position, or start it, or whatever, the headlights come on. Even if I have the rotary switch in the off position. Now I know the orange parking lights are always on, but are the headlights supposed to be on too? I work nightcheck on a Naval base and the gate guards are pissed that I can't turn my lights off lol.
Old 04-11-2006, 07:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

The Cameros have auto headlights.On the dash is a censor. It could be bad or you somehow have it covered with something causing the headlights always to be on. You can pull the censor and hook the 2 wires together and it will disable the auto headlights. I'm sure there is a write up on here somewhere. You need to pull up the dash to do this. Its pretty simple to do.
Old 04-11-2006, 07:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah it's normal - the guards at NAS JAX hate me too when it's dark.
Old 04-11-2006, 07:33 PM
On The Tree

Do you know where the sensor might be? If I can get a general location I'll see if it's covered. I have an Xm antenna and Nav antenna on my dash. I guess I haven't really checked if it's on during the day or not. I'll let you know tomorrow.
Old 04-11-2006, 08:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's a writeup on disabling your auto-headlight feature...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/wiring-stereo-electronics/446386-another-look-disabling-auto-headlight-feature.html

The sensor is right next to your alarm blinkey red light on the dash, in your defrost grill. All you have to do is lift up the dash (velcro) and jumper the two wires together. That will make your headlights function manually.

Be advised, there may be safety ***** warning you not to disable this very important "safety" feature.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:28 PM
Launching!

you can also have the parking brake handle up a little before you start youre car,not to much to engage the brakes just enough so that the brake light in dash will turn on and youre lights will not come on
Old 04-12-2006, 07:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took some photos of what I did for the delete. The first one is a general view of what the dash looks like when lifted for access. The second one is of what I did.

I apologize for refering to the dash held down by velcro. It's actually held down with clips. They were easy to lift on my car.

Old 04-28-2006, 07:02 PM
Teching In

thanks guys for the thread, used it to replace the red led with a blue led, looks cool and it was 5 bucks at radio shack, also you werent kidding on the sharp edges. cut the crap outa my thumb. not trying to hijack the thread since i didnt use it to mod my auto headlights but again thanks fellas.