General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Go on call me an idiot i deserve it

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 06:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Go on call me an idiot i deserve it

Man i fucked up my 02 camaro SS about a month ago... Hella drunk. I was doin donuts and hit the curb. ****! Well i cracked the rim and shifted the rear end over to the left. When i took it to the shop they said it would just be the axles that need to be replaced and just reposition the rear end. They did that but the rear end still was sticking out of the left side still about a inch. They found out the rear axle housing was also damaged and needed to be worked on. Which caused that 1200 dollar job they originaly thought it would be for repairs to turn into a 2500 dollar job. GODAMN IT! Just when i thought having to spend all the money i saved up to buy a whole exaust system on repairs was bad enough (pacesetters, gmmg, and pipes in between). The whole idea of that and addition to the extra thousand topped it off. But so thats that all i wanted to know if any body could help me on any advise on how i should go about this or just at the least tell me how bad of condition my car possibly be. I was told my car might never be the same by some one and would just like to know how in what areas is this true. Thanks for any help. I just ******* hella miss my F-body and this **** sucks!
Old 05-30-2006, 07:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I wanted to act like a real dick I'd tell you if your looking for sympathy to look between **** and syphilis in the dictionary but since I'm not trying to be a dick it is just my natural state I'll say it anyway j/k

I know you don't want to hear this and I know most of us have done some really stupid things when we were young but I gotta say that if all this stunt costs you was 2500 you got REALLY lucky. It could have cost you your license, your life or someone else's life. Be happy you got a break and keep saving to get it repaired. It sucks now but maybe if it keeps you from doing it again it will be worth it. Oh and if you're not a kid I'd advise seeking professional help NOW!

Ok, I'm off my soapbox now good luck with your repairs.
Old 05-30-2006, 07:19 PM
TECH Addict

I won't belabor the point that you f*cked up and it's going to cost you (luckily it's only money and not someones, or your life)
To remedy the situation, you could find a used 10 bolt (they generally run around $300-$500 (sometimes less) and bolt that in instead of trying to fix the current one. Hopefully the axle being bent is the extent of the damage and doesn't involve the frame/unibody
Hope this is lesson learned for you
Old 05-30-2006, 07:51 PM
10 Second Club

Old 05-30-2006, 11:23 PM
11 Second Club

do donuts in a larger parking lot next time or learn to drive your car...you have two options. one is to buy a new 10 bolt they are way cheaper then $2500, or two buy a gm 12 bolt of a ford 9" rearend for around $2500.
Old 05-31-2006, 12:21 AM
TECH Veteran

u could pick up a nice used Moser 10 bolt for 900-1200, they are alot better than GMs 10 bolt, and i hope you were not injured in anyway, and that everything on ur car gets straightend out because i know i love my car!
Old 05-31-2006, 07:13 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Shinerbock07
u could pick up a nice used Moser 10 bolt for 900-1200, they are alot better than GMs 10 bolt, and i hope you were not injured in anyway, and that everything on ur car gets straightend out because i know i love my car!
Sorry for jumping in here but I was not aware of a Moser 10 bolt.(sorry for the ignorance) Do you have more info on this? If so please let me know(PM)!!
Would be nice to have another choice besides the Moser 12 or the Strange 9.
Old 05-31-2006, 08:49 AM
TECH Veteran

i dunno i think there is a 10 bolt moser, i could have sworen i saw a thread on here.
Old 05-31-2006, 09:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Swedez28
Sorry for jumping in here but I was not aware of a Moser 10 bolt.(sorry for the ignorance) Do you have more info on this? If so please let me know(PM)!!
Would be nice to have another choice besides the Moser 12 or the Strange 9.
They do list a 10 bolt 8.5" rear on their web site....

"5TT481 GM 10 Bolt 8.5" Rear - 30 spline"

I believe that is just the internals which I do not think will fit into the our 10 bolt housings.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Find a new 10 bolt, get a new PHB and a set of lcas, make sure your link mounts aren't all f'ed up and you should be fine. Adjustable links would be even better.

Second alternative - take this opportunity to make a positive out of a negative, and through in a 12 bolt.
Old 06-02-2006, 11:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Damn people, we're talking about some donuts here! Loss of life? Give me a break. Nothing like shooting from the hip half cocked. As for some advice, if you're really tight on money, search around for somebody that's swapped in a Moser/Strange/etc, and you could picked up a used F-body 10 bolt for a few hundred bucks. Go to the regional forums for your area and ask around. You could have that car back on the road for a LOT less than 2500. Hell, for that much you may as well upgrade to a brand new Moser.
Old 06-02-2006, 11:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jRaskell
Damn people, we're talking about some donuts here! Loss of life? Give me a break. Nothing like shooting from the hip half cocked. As for some advice, if you're really tight on money, search around for somebody that's swapped in a Moser/Strange/etc, and you could picked up a used F-body 10 bolt for a few hundred bucks. Go to the regional forums for your area and ask around. You could have that car back on the road for a LOT less than 2500. Hell, for that much you may as well upgrade to a brand new Moser.
Read his post again.. He said he was drunk. That is what I went off 1/2 cocked about not the fact that he likes wasting money on tires doing donuts.

EDIT: Maybe no one in your family has been killed by an idiot driving drunk. I hope it never happens to you but if it did maybe you would understand where some of us are coming from. Why is it that the ******* who is drunk rarely gets killed but the inocent person does?

Last edited by Mike02Z; 06-02-2006 at 11:50 AM.
Old 06-02-2006, 11:48 AM
Launching!

I know loss of life sounds pretty extereme for possibly slamming an f-body into somebody while doing donuts, but you ever taken a good look at something like a KIA Sophia !!!!!!!!!!!!! **** happens all the time !!!!! Like the other guy said just find a bigger parking lot and look out for those light poles too!!!
Old 06-02-2006, 12:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh, and if he was drunk doing donuts in a parking lot how do you figure he got there? I'm sure he was sober on the way to and from!
Old 06-03-2006, 07:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by WANARUNM
I know loss of life sounds pretty extereme for possibly slamming an f-body into somebody while doing donuts, but you ever taken a good look at something like a KIA Sophia !!!!!!!!!!!!! **** happens all the time !!!!! Like the other guy said just find a bigger parking lot and look out for those light poles too!!!
If he wasnt drunk none of this would have happened anyway.
Stupid is what stupid does. He allready admitted he did something stupid so let it rest.

If you think driving drunk is cool then you need to seek help as stated earlier.

The car can be repaired. Quit whining on how much it will cost now due to your stupid move and take it on the chin. I hate people that make mistakes and then bitch about how much the results from it are going to be. Sorry no sympathy here.
Old 07-03-2006, 01:12 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Farmer2
If he wasnt drunk none of this would have happened anyway.
Stupid is what stupid does. He allready admitted he did something stupid so let it rest.

If you think driving drunk is cool then you need to seek help as stated earlier.

The car can be repaired. Quit whining on how much it will cost now due to your stupid move and take it on the chin. I hate people that make mistakes and then bitch about how much the results from it are going to be. Sorry no sympathy here.
I just saw this, but did he just quote Forrest Gump?? Hummm, nice
Old 07-03-2006, 01:20 PM
Launching!

You got what was coming to you, shouldnt drive drunk.
Old 07-05-2006, 11:10 AM
TECH Resident

*insert obligatory "drunk driving is bad" statement here*

Anyways, sounds like an opportune time to upgrade your rear suspension(boxed/tubular stuff) and buy a 12-bolt, esp. for the prices you're about to get raped for