General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Small oil leak... from where?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 07:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Small oil leak... from where?

When looking at the front of the motor, what is the pulley that is to the immediate left of the tensioner?

Whatever is connected to that appears to be leaking a little bit of oil. Probably about a couple of drops every 2-3 days or so. I know it isnt much, but I HATE OIL LEAKS... Any thoughts???
Old 06-27-2006, 07:24 AM
Staging Lane

ok, after searching around, i found out it is the A/C compressor... any idea why oil is leaking from it? Is this a common problem and an easy fix?
Old 06-27-2006, 08:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

The bolt that holds the A/C hose connector to the compressor could be loose. You might try snugging it down a little. It's kind of a pain to get to, they put the motor mount right behind it :eyes2: but it can be done. If that doesn't work, you'll have to replace the seals (there are 2 on that connector). That means discharging and recharging your A/C system. If the bolt tightening doesn't help, you might take it to a shop and have them do the evacuating / new seals / recharge. Shouldn't be too terribly labor intensive.

If it's coming from the front of the compressor, well, you could have a problem with a seal on the compressor... That's $$$...
Old 06-27-2006, 09:21 AM
Staging Lane

Ill have to take a closer look at it, it kinda looked like it was coming from right below the pulley attached to it. So if that is the case, it looks like it could be the worse of the two options.
Old 06-27-2006, 09:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Oh, keep in mind that the power steering hoses sit right over that area as well. Its fluid looks the same. You might just have a PS leak...

Been there, done that, got the floor covered in goo to prove it.
Old 06-27-2006, 11:28 AM
Staging Lane

hmmm, ok now im not sure what I would want to have more... so if it is coming from above the A/C compressor, its probably power steering, if not, then something with the A/C compressor. Ok, ill check it out, hopefully have a better idea this weekend.
Old 06-27-2006, 01:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yep. My 94 Z28 was/is leaking in that exact same spot. The compressor clutch had oil on it. I pulled the engine for the 383 swap, and never did figure out where the oil was coming from. I sprayed brake cleaner up in the A/C clutch (after the fact), and that has made the clutch dry now. I have not started the new motor yet though, nor have I filled the power steering reservoir, but it wouldn't be any stretch of the imagination to have one of those power steering lines (or even the fitting on the lower side of the pump itself) leaking PS fluid all over the A/C compressor. I personally thought mine was power steering fluid, though. Guess I'll find out soon enough again.
Old 06-28-2006, 07:52 AM
Staging Lane

Sounds like if it is PS fluid that might be the easier fix... man i hate leaks