General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Question about tail lights

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 10:29 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about tail lights

So ever since I've had my car the driver's side tail light has had water in the small clear brake light, I took it to the place where I bought it and the guy cleaned it out and said that there was a peice of rubber that wasn't in place and that it wouldn't fill up with water again. After I washed my car I notice that wayyy after the whole thing was dry and even into the next day water would come dribbling out of the side of that tail light. The light is filled with water again and I have no idea how to take the dang thing off, I saw a bunch of screws with the butterfly looking handles behind the tail light but I don't know where to go from there. This probably sounds really stupid but I've never replaced a tail light before and I don't how. Also one tail light is darker than the other and I was wondering if it was just because it was an aftermarket tail light *which I don't know that it is* or if the one that seems fine is the aftermarket one! I really need to match them up and get this fixed please help.
Oh and btw I did do a search on this topic but found nothing.
Attached Thumbnails Question about tail lights-joo-021.jpg  
Old 07-05-2006, 10:45 PM
TECH Addict

Have you tried to put some clear silicone around the edge of the taillight, where the clear plastic housing meets the inner plastic. Some guys have that same problem and just put some clear RTV sealant around the edge to seal it up better and usually fixes the problem.
Old 07-06-2006, 02:40 PM
Launching!

ARGH! I feel like an idiot, I couldn't get the tail light off completely because of that hidden last screw! I finally got it undone and seriously about half a gallon of water came out of my light. I have no idea how the lights and everything were working with that much water in there. I took it off and dried it out and I can't find any place where water could get in. Does anyone have a picture of where I can put the silicone?
On the back of the light it said GM so I assume the other tail light is the aftermarket one. Maybe I should just replace the whole thing?
Old 07-06-2006, 02:48 PM
TECH Regular

All of our tail lights fail sooner or later. My tail lights were completely filled when it happened to me. The water slightly damaged my sockets on the wiring harness but I'm getting by with them. I ended up buying the newer style ones because they were newer and it was a cosmetic upgrate for my car. I like the clear silicon idea. That should seal you up pretty good. Where the cover meets the body of the lense is where you want to put it. Make sure you get it good and dried out before you seal it up.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:25 PM
12 Second Club

If you want to replace them, I've noticed alot of LS1 tail lights on ebay recently. Check there.
Old 07-07-2006, 12:19 AM
Launching!

Oh boy I noticed that no matter if water is around it or not water starts to form in the lights anyway... after I cleaned them out today and let them dry I put them back in but about an hour later they have condensation all over the plastic.
Also this is a stupid question but are there supposed to be three red lights that light up on each tail light? My newer tail light only has one that lights up but it is brighter than all three on the other side.
Old 07-07-2006, 05:47 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by rayvendawn
Oh boy I noticed that no matter if water is around it or not water starts to form in the lights anyway... after I cleaned them out today and let them dry I put them back in but about an hour later they have condensation all over the plastic.
Also this is a stupid question but are there supposed to be three red lights that light up on each tail light? My newer tail light only has one that lights up but it is brighter than all three on the other side.
Yeah. They will condensate unless you have a good seal.

With your lights on, there should be three lights on (one element) with brakes applied, two out of three of your lights will be brighter (brake lights - dual element bulbs). The fourth light is for your reverse light (closer to the center). Is your newer tail light using the same wiring harness? Make sure all of your sockets are cleaned out and clear of any rust or corrosion. It would be a good idea to spray electronics cleaner in there and follow it up with a silicone spray to keep the moisture off of the metal. I used steel wool but you have to be careful not to wear too much of the metal away. Also, if you use steel wool, DO NOT have your lights on when you do it. Steel wool is conductive and will short the connector sockets.

Once the sockets get wet, they can be a little touchy. A lot of people replace the harness but I've gotten by with my original harness.... so far. I have to, routinely do a little maintenance on it, though.
Old 07-08-2006, 03:28 PM
TECH Resident

I think your passenger side taillight might have been replaced at some point, due to it being lighter in color than your driver side. I dont believe anyone buy GM makes "factory style" taillights. If you have a free day take the tail light off and let it dry out in the sun... Hopefully that will get rid of the moisture, I know some guys drill small holes into the bottom of lights to get rid of water but I wouldnt recommend that. After the moisture is out Id make sure the foam-type gaskets are on the light sockets and possibly add some clear silicone (carefully) to everywhere that water can get through.

Also dont know if that was a typo but the clear lights are back-up/reverse lights, not brake

Hopefully this is of some help to you.
Old 07-08-2006, 04:19 PM
Launching!

*edit*
Okay all the tail light buisness is done and the lights are working, I won't know until tomorrow if the silicone works. Anyway thanks for all the help with this everyone!

Last edited by rayvendawn; 07-08-2006 at 07:13 PM.
Old 07-10-2006, 04:19 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Which Trans-Am did you end up buying? I remember you looking at a few from your other posts...
Old 07-10-2006, 05:36 PM
Launching!

I bought the one that was at a dealership where they pretty much only sell LS1s..the whole lot is filled with horribly high priced trans ams and SS camaros. I'm afraid to even say how much I paid for it but to me it's totally worth the high price. This one had a clean carfax report and came with all of the documents from the only previous owner, he kept everything..the window sticker, the dealership license plate frame *took that off* and all the warrenty and paperwork that came with the car and of the bag that the car manual came in along with the dealership cards from the salesman. lol..
Anyway this one has the t-top inserts that I don't know how to remove lol, I haven't even taken the t-tops off once since I've owned the car.
Oh and this was NOT the trans am that was in question of it being a real WS6 nor was it the one with the NOS stickers and jacked up air filter. Although both were NBM.
Attached Thumbnails Question about tail lights-imagyhhhh.jpg  
Old 07-10-2006, 07:19 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rayvendawn
I bought the one that was at a dealership where they pretty much only sell LS1s..the whole lot is filled with horribly high priced trans ams and SS camaros. I'm afraid to even say how much I paid for it but to me it's totally worth the high price. This one had a clean carfax report and came with all of the documents from the only previous owner, he kept everything..the window sticker, the dealership license plate frame *took that off* and all the warrenty and paperwork that came with the car and of the bag that the car manual came in along with the dealership cards from the salesman. lol..
Anyway this one has the t-top inserts that I don't know how to remove lol, I haven't even taken the t-tops off once since I've owned the car.
Oh and this was NOT the trans am that was in question of it being a real WS6 nor was it the one with the NOS stickers and jacked up air filter. Although both were NBM.

Whatever the price it's an AWESOME car! NBM WS6 would be my favorite F-Body ever (including first-gens, not including the 5th gen)

To get those shades off you just take off the t-top and then peel the shades off (they are velcro'd on). I don't think they come off while the t-top is on the car because they are larger than the opening...

What year is it? Any mods yet? Any more pics?
Old 07-10-2006, 07:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you got it fixed. If it happens again I'd probably just scrap the light, you can get a used one in good condition for ~$50.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:53 PM
Launching!

I was planing on replacing that lense even though I did fix it, it just looks too dark. It's a 1999 and I haven't done anything to it yet because of my lack of having a job. I plan to do some exhaust work on it and maybe trying to close the gap in between my 99 and the 02 performance wise, I'm not sure of the big differences. I've noticed my car is extremely quiet and it sounds a LOT like my friends 80s cadillac. I've noticed that my muffler has a lot of greasy hand prints on it like someone switched out the muffler and they maybe put the stock one back on. The dealership I bought it from was obcessed with making things stock again. *assuming that what I have is stock*
The car has a lot of bug spots on the front like someone left bugs on it for a very long time and never washed it. I will probably have to repaint it because the damage is so bad. This car doesn't feel as fast as my 2000 Z28, it had cutouts but was completely stock besides that. I don't understand why this car feels so slow and but it's looks sure make up for it, everywhere I go people stare at it. Nice knowing that a stock car can still grab attention
Oh and besides that I'm thinking about replacing the faded taillight centerpeice with a silver or perhaps white firebird with the "trans am" lettering and where my trans am emblems are on my door putting stickers on them in the same color. I'm not sure how this would look though.
Attached Thumbnails Question about tail lights-transam-3-.jpg   Question about tail lights-transam-14-.jpg   Question about tail lights-transam-27-.jpg   Question about tail lights-transam-34-.jpg   Question about tail lights-transam-41-.jpg