General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

WATER LEAK, Drivers side floor

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 11:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default WATER LEAK, Drivers side floor

Anybody else have this problem.....
I had the windows adjusted, all new rubber weather seals, the driver floor still gets wet. Any Ideals......'94 Z-28 no T-tops

thanks for your help
Old 07-14-2006, 02:53 AM
TECH Resident

On almost any other car I would say the cowl is clogged and leaking in... Our cars however have the cowl on the inside of the windshield and I havent really looked into it much to see how water drains from there. (The inlets are pretty small too)
Old 07-14-2006, 06:56 PM
Staging Lane

Default water leak

bump it up
Old 07-14-2006, 07:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

could be the heatercore.... are you sure its water?
Old 07-16-2006, 09:38 AM
Teching In

The heater core is on the passenger side behind the glovebox so it isn't the heater core.
A good spot for you to check is pull your drivers side carpet and look up in the corner of the firewall and make sure the water isn't leaking through the hood release cable grommet.. Sometimes there is only electric tape wrapped around the hood cable or sometimes there is black silicone... Pull the carper and hose your windsheild and see if it leaking in from there
Also check all of your driver side weather stripping to make sure it is sealed to the metal.
Old 07-16-2006, 09:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Check the grommet where the hood release cable goes thru the firewall. Mine had popped out of the hole, pushed it back in and no more leak.
Old 07-16-2006, 10:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I had that issue when they installed an aftermarket alarm. I finally closed the hole in the firewall with some expanding foam. Worked like a champ. I had to take out my carpet and let it dry for a couple of days so it wouldnt rot our or stink up...
Old 09-12-2006, 09:35 AM
Teching In

i have the same problem, the dealership told me it would be $200 for just a water test to see where it is leaking...you guys may have saved me lots of money, thanks
Old 09-12-2006, 10:50 AM
Staging Lane

Also check to see if the cowl is clogged with leaves or pine needles. If the car is in a garage it shouldnt be a problem, but if its sits under trees or stays outside it may be the problem. As the rain water drains away and pathway is stopped up, the water will find its way into your car between a seem or grommet. Used to own a body shop and fixed countless leaks by just cleaning out the cowl. You would be amazed at what can get in there. You may need to use a coat hanger or something like that to clean the hole.
Old 09-12-2006, 11:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

yUP PULL THECOEL OFF CHECK FOR **** UNDER THERE HAPPENS ALL THE TIME.. 200 TO CHECK A WATER LEAK HELL THEY ARE CRAZY SUPER EASY TO DO YOURSELF....THE WINDSHILED IS NOT LEAKING IF YOUR FLOOR IS GETTING WET LOOK UNDER COWL AND THE FIREWALL...

Quick Reply: WATER LEAK, Drivers side floor