General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Alternator Wires SOOO CONFUSED!!! please help

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 08:22 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator Wires SOOO CONFUSED!!! please help

Ok so I had my lights dimming for a while now. I checked my belt tensioner and it seemed that the spring was shot because it was moving when the car was running. So i replaced that and that didnt fix the headlight problem. So the next step was to change the alternator. I got a brand new alternator that was computer tested. Here is the problem when i took the old alternator off there was only 1 main wire connected with a peice of metal to the back. When i pulled it out i saw that there was a spot for a plug with 4 little wires, but all of them were snipped so they were not connected to anything. So i put the new one in, connected the wire, bolted everything up. Started the car up and it ran with the voltage at around 8 volts. After letting it idle the car started dimming all the lights as the power was dropping lower and lower. Then i couldnt start the car back up because the battery was drained. So im guessing the alternator isnt charging the battery. What is weird about this whole thing is that the old alternator didnt have those wires plugged in and it still worked perfect? Im guessing there needs to be a plug in that socket on the alternator. I cant find where those wires are or where they even come from because there was never anything plugged into them in the first place?
Old 08-22-2006, 11:15 PM
MJK
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is wierd...I know when I changed mine out there was the main wire you mentioned and then there was a very small (pathetic excuse for wire) one connected to the alt as well.

All I can say is that its gotta be up there somewhere or maybe you accidentally ripped it out when removing the alt...I can see that easily happening as I almost did that myself.....

Good luck man....
Old 08-23-2006, 12:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

You need to find the little wire/plug. The wire probably got ripped out when you dropped the altenator or if it was dropped before. It comes out of the wire loom where your coolant temp sensor is on the drivers side head. Basically check the wire loom from where your maf/iat wires come from and follow it down.

It's called the exciter wire. Without it the computer doesn't know how much voltage it's seeing and your car won't charge properly, nor will the gauge read properly. Your check gauges light should be on as well. I made a special tool out of a coat hanger by making it straight about 18" long. Then I put a little j at the end. That way it's easy to reach in from the top and unhook the wire plug from the altenator with it on the car (not that this helps now). I also soldered about 8"-10" of extra wire onto the plug, so if I ever do have to drop the altenator again. I can drop the altenator to the ground and the wire won't break.
Old 08-23-2006, 06:39 PM
Staging Lane

alright thanks guys yea that wire must have came loose when i took the old one out but i couldnt see anything. I brought it to a garage and told him the problem sure enough he found the set of wires where it ripped and now has to figure out how to get the wires connected back into the plug or to just order a new plug to put the original wires back into. I should have it back tomorrow night hopefully
Old 08-24-2006, 06:16 PM
Staging Lane

I have no clue whats going on. i had my brother stop by the garage where the guy is working on it today while i was at work. He called me and told me the guy ordered some part? which i have no idea what part he needed if it was just the wire that ripped out. I dont know exactly what he said so im going over there tomorrow. My brother said something about he might have to get a new wiring harness or something? that makes no sense whatsoever. So i will see what the real problem is tomorrow hopefully this "part" he ordered will fix it
Old 08-24-2006, 07:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

He probably ordered a new alt. plug. That's what I had to do years ago when I ripped mine out. When you buy the new plug it has about 4" of wire sticking out each terminal. Looking down on the altenator you only use the 2nd one from the left (I do believe) and snip the rest off. I think the plug was under $10, but I don't remember. Like I said in my other post, I also added enough extra wire so you can lay my altenator on the ground without stretching the wire. I zip tied the excess wire out of the way once I installed the altenator.

More than likely this is what your mechanic is going to do. Just make sure he solders the wire and doesn't but connect it. If if he says it's ok to but connect, get it soldered and wrapped anyway. Because it's the best way.
Old 01-30-2010, 06:35 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by WhiteRhino
You need to find the little wire/plug. The wire probably got ripped out when you dropped the altenator or if it was dropped before. It comes out of the wire loom where your coolant temp sensor is on the drivers side head. Basically check the wire loom from where your maf/iat wires come from and follow it down.

It's called the exciter wire. Without it the computer doesn't know how much voltage it's seeing and your car won't charge properly, nor will the gauge read properly. Your check gauges light should be on as well. I made a special tool out of a coat hanger by making it straight about 18" long. Then I put a little j at the end. That way it's easy to reach in from the top and unhook the wire plug from the altenator with it on the car (not that this helps now). I also soldered about 8"-10" of extra wire onto the plug, so if I ever do have to drop the altenator again. I can drop the altenator to the ground and the wire won't break.
I have a 99. and i have single wire alt. Two plug ins with 4 prongs on each. which plug in and prong do you connect the wire to?
Old 01-31-2010, 06:01 PM
Teching In

Ok guys the wire you are talking about is the EXCITER wire. It is what sends a mesage from the computer to the alternator to tell it to charge. Mine broke while I was driving the car. When I droped the alternator I saw it. The replacement part was only like $15 just tied the wire in and all is well. It only took me about 20 min to replace the wire and put the alternator back in.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:03 AM
Launching!

I bought a new plug and still have the same problem. The alt charges the battery then stops for awhile. I think that the exciter wire is broken or frayed somewhere in my harness.