General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Leaky t-top fix

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2006, 11:29 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lightbulb Leaky t-top fix

I have seen a lot of people with leaking t-tops including several of my friends. I noticed 90% of them had the same problem so I would like to share my findings with everyone. If this has been posted before, I applogized but I didn't find this fix with a search.

OK here it goes:
Centered in the following pictures, there is a flap on the door openening weatherstrip and if you look closely there is also a small drain hole at the lowest part of the weatherstrip inside the flaps. These pictures show the 2 areas most affected:

When you put on the tops, the flaps centered in the above pictures have a tendency to get folded up like this:

This blocks the drain hole and is more than enough to create a bad water leak, almost enough to take a shower in

If you pay attention when you put your tops on and make sure these flaps are not folded up it should like like this:

Notice the flap fits flush over the t-top weatherstrip and will seal out the water.

On rare occasions the flap has been folded up long enough that if you try this fix it, it is too deformed to reseal. In that case you will need a new weatherstrips. If you do need a weatherstrips you will need to buy BOTH the door opening AND the t-top strips. If you don't the weatherstrips will not conform to each other, trust me. If you still have a leak after this fix, then your door glass will have to be adjusted. That is more complicated and there isn't enough room to post on how to do that but most competent glass shops or dealerships could do that but the price will vary.

Hopefully this will help many people out there with the annoying t-top leak syndrome.

Last edited by Tall Guy; 10-10-2006 at 04:49 PM.
Old 10-07-2006, 11:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my passenger side did this for a while and i came to the same conclusion you did... unfortunately mine was a little deformed and i kinda had to force it into place and leav eit like that for a while... i took them off last night for first time in 6 months and it seems they are conforming again.
Old 10-09-2006, 02:29 AM
TECH Regular

i leave a shammy cloth under the ttop to catch all teh water hahaha fixed that sucker lol yea mine water falls
Old 10-17-2006, 12:13 AM
Launching!

I appreciate that post Tall Guy. Houston raining like a !#$!@# for the last two days had me driving through traffic wanting to immitate the tune "I'm singing in the rain!". It was a constant drip for the 25 mile drive to work and when I got out, you'd swear I pissed like a race horse all over myself! Anybody have an idea how much for these weatherstrippings?
Old 10-17-2006, 12:34 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Grimlock1968
I appreciate that post Tall Guy. Houston raining like a !#$!@# for the last two days had me driving through traffic wanting to immitate the tune "I'm singing in the rain!".
lol tell me about it...my passenger seat got wet and so did the carpet in the back . grab some towels for wed....
Old 10-17-2006, 02:12 PM
TECH Resident

just a heads up to every one...i just got done checking my car for any other leaks and...not only did my t-tops leak but my trunkhas leak some where i cant fine the source though...any one else have this prob???
Old 10-17-2006, 02:33 PM
Launching!

Trunk leaks are usually the weather strip around the hatch is collapsed or torn. If the car was hit and the quarter replaced then there could be a leak in a weld seam some where. Trunk leaks are a little harder to track down.

BTW, z-28_n_tx nice avatar.
Old 10-17-2006, 02:40 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Grimlock1968
Anybody have an idea how much for these weatherstrippings?
They are about $90 for the t-top one and about $150 for the main weatherstrip. Kinda expensive .
Old 10-17-2006, 03:48 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Tall Guy
Trunk leaks are usually the weather strip around the hatch is collapsed or torn. If the car was hit and the quarter replaced then there could be a leak in a weld seam some where. Trunk leaks are a little harder to track down.

BTW, z-28_n_tx nice avatar.

ive had the car for 2 yrs now, this is the first time the trunk leaks....i took a water hose and sprayed it down but i cant find any leaks.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Mine friggin drip from the very bottom where the top and seal meet. Where it makes the oval towards the bottom you took pictures of.
Old 07-16-2008, 07:07 PM
TECH Resident

sorry to bring up an old thread, but I'm not seeing what flap the OP is talking about, can someone circle it in paint?
Old 07-16-2008, 09:17 PM
TECH Veteran

The flap is the thin u shaped piece of rubber that extends out pas the rest of the seal
Old 07-16-2008, 11:47 PM
TECH Resident

Talking

Originally Posted by fortmyerspolice
sorry to bring up an old thread, but I'm not seeing what flap the OP is talking about, can someone circle it in paint?
Look closely at the pictures, and also look closely at your T Tops and seals, you will figure it out.
Its like....
Lets play: Find Waldo....

Just look closely....

Quick Reply: Leaky t-top fix