General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

initial start up question

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 09:05 PM
yak
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Default initial start up question

So I just put a new engine in my formy. I started it tonight and it ran like ****. that is to be expected. it's a heads cam car with a mail order cam only tune. anyway after a few minutes of keeping it alive it found idle. oil pressure is good at 45-50psi at idle. however, there is a horrible tick from the front end of the engine I think it may be one of the accessories. anyone have this issue, it is loud as ****. also the car is having heating issues. it got to about 215 real fast. it's 25* out by me and the car never gets this hot even in the winter. anyone have any advice?
Old 01-13-2007, 09:34 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,277 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Not sure on the ticking, but the cooling issue might be due to air still being in your cooling system since it's a new motor.
Old 01-14-2007, 12:13 PM
yak
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

so i may have fixed my own problem. last night, i was looking at the car after i shut it down, i added more coolant to the radiator after seeing it had gone down. today I started it, added about another 2 quarts of coolant and as I added the coolant the ticking went away. my guess is that there was a air pocket in the water pump? now it was running at about 165 idling in the garage with the heat in the car on.