General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Higher Milage TA

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 09:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Higher Milage TA

I'm considering purchasing a higher milage T/A that I know of at a local place... It's an '01 so it's not exactly that old, but it has 110k miles on the clock... I'm thinking there was lots and lots of highway miles put on it...

But anyways, I was just curious if this could be a good buy if I was planning to put a built motor in it once I got it...

How much does a good, forged 346 typically run along with its install? And is anyone ever in the market for an LS1 with 110k miles on the clock??

I could replace the motor, sell it, and put it towards the cost of a new one.

Last edited by mahhddgtp; 01-15-2007 at 10:24 PM.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:32 AM
On The Tree

Whats the price on it? LS1's if taken care of can last a very long time. There are some here never rebuilt still running strong at 150K+.
Old 01-18-2007, 02:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mines got 100K on it now doesnt consume/burn ANY oil at ALL like some of the horror stories I hear on here about LS1's with 40K miles on them taking a quart every 2 weeks. It's also seeing some heads/cam now as well and probably a little spray soon. An old lady had it before me so im guessing its got very little abuse in it. Hell before I bought it I took the ttops off and hell I thought the car had been in a flood there was dirt/cobwebs all kinds of crap under there turns out the lady NEVER took them off. If its an auto pull the dipstick smell for burnt fluid check the color if its brown/black dont even bother with it. CHeck for leaks under the car
Old 01-18-2007, 09:53 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bet a forged rotating assembly will prob run you maybe 3500 bucks but then for the install it will be outrageous. Just do it yourself and save the green..

Also 110k miles is nothing for these cars. Although i hate to see my car roll over a new thousand bout to be at a 109 myself.
Old 01-18-2007, 11:07 AM
Launching!

I have seen several LSx motors go well over 200,000 miles. If taken care of. As stated pull the dipstick if auto and check the trans fluid. Use your judgement on it. Drive it and be very hard on it to test the trany. If the price is right than buy it and you could put a built tranny in it.
Old 01-18-2007, 01:17 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 01WS6er
I have seen several LSx motors go well over 200,000 miles. If taken care of. As stated pull the dipstick if auto and check the trans fluid. Use your judgement on it. Drive it and be very hard on it to test the trany. If the price is right than buy it and you could put a built tranny in it.
That's what I'd be more concerned about, The tranny and possibly the rear end. If you do add more HP you'd better budget for those as well because with those miles they'll probably be going out soon with the added HP.
Old 01-18-2007, 05:18 PM
TECH Resident

My dad's 02 has 105k on it and it runs like a champ. The only problem he has is his rear main seal is leaking slightly and he thinks he is gonna need a new clutch in the future. Doesn't burn oil and looks immaculate! He daily drives the car since he bought it with 5 miles on it. I would just bring it to a third party dealer to look at it before you bought it. I would def buy my dad's car off him when he sells it one day.
Old 01-19-2007, 05:20 AM
On The Tree

I bought mine not to long ago (sep '06) with 96k for $13k. Not one problem, runs very strong and everything is still very clean. It was well taken care of. I made sure it had no leaks, no squeeks, no rattels and I ran it pretty hard on the test drive (M6) and it didnt hesitate one bit nor smoke. So it is very possible to get a very good car with high milage. GL!