General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

replaced alternator

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 06:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default replaced alternator

well i just finished replacing my alternator. it wasn't too tough, but the cramped space sure made it interesting i replaced it with an autozone one. i know i know...but i didn't have too much cash to spare. everything seems to be working just fine, but the damn thing whistles. it sounds like i have a D1 on it. how can i make this go away? can i make it go away? thanks.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:54 PM
12 Second Club

Whistles like a bird chirp?
Old 03-28-2007, 07:21 PM
On The Tree

yeah. thats about the noise it makes. like a continous bird chirp.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds like a bad bearing in the alternator! But try putting some ajax (the powder stuff) on the belts and c if it makes it go away! It may sound stupid but everytime my belts get wet they chirp like that and thats what i got to do and there even new ac delco belts!
Old 03-29-2007, 11:45 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Put a delco on it there is a reason autozone has a lifetime warranty you'll need it. Especially if you count your time as costing you. It sounds like you for sure have a bad bearing in it.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:14 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,493 Likes on 1,075 Posts

Autozone alternators =

I never buy rebuilds from any parts chains anymore. Best bet is to get those right from GM.
Old 03-29-2007, 03:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol, yeah, figure that even "new" alternators from GM are infact rebuilds, you only get a brand new one once, and thats when the car is brand new. That being said, Delco is the ONLY replacement parts Id use for the car.....
Old 03-29-2007, 04:07 PM
TECH Regular

Autozone alternators =

I just got done with TWO very bad experiences with them...GET A DELCO FROM GM so you don't get stranded somewhere.

Just my .02
Old 03-29-2007, 04:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Agreed, just put an autozone one on my car, and it worked fine for about a month, now when it gets hot the charging drops under the half mark. im going to switch to a GM one soon as this one is about to crap out
Old 03-29-2007, 06:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 01WS6/tamu
Put a delco on it there is a reason autozone has a lifetime warranty you'll need it.
No, actually it's not.

Why would they choose to put a warranty like that on a shitty product? That's just more money they're costing themselves; you think a company would do well with a business ethic like that?

Why do you think Craftsman puts a lifetime warranty on their stuff, because they break all the time? Yeah, no.
Old 03-29-2007, 06:34 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by Da Swami
Why would they choose to put a warranty like that on a shitty product?
Probably because the rebuilds are such poor quality that their cost for the rebuild is so much less than the selling price that they still make a profit even if you swap it out 3 times or more. Then, after the 3rd or 4th time most people will get fed up and just buy the better rebuild from Delco. The warranty just gets people in the door to buy the first one, and that's all they need to make money.

Originally Posted by NDFORSPD
lol, yeah, figure that even "new" alternators from GM are infact rebuilds
True, but one of two things must be happening with the GM rebuilds. They are either using higher quality parts, or they are doing a more "complete" (more new parts) rebuild than the cheap AZ units. We've all seen first had how much better the GM rebuilds are, so there is clearly a difference.
Old 03-29-2007, 07:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RPM WS6

True, but one of two things must be happening with the GM rebuilds. They are either using higher quality parts, or they are doing a more "complete" (more new parts) rebuild than the cheap AZ units. We've all seen first had how much better the GM rebuilds are, so there is clearly a difference.
Yeah definately, just from a pita install aspect, i would only buy GM Alts, its worth the extra few bucks. I remember years ago, my parents ran thru(and im not even close to jokin) 6 rebuilt alternators(this is within 3 weeks from a mom and pop place.....stranded twice....old mans face was classic second time!), they finally switched in one that worked, lol....a Delco!
Old 03-29-2007, 07:46 PM
On The Tree

thanks for all the responses guys. i will just go ahead and get one from gmdirect.com. in a few weeks. that should be the meal ticket. hopefully this ones lasts until i can get my hands on a gm one. thanks guys!
Old 03-29-2007, 09:48 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by NDFORSPD
Yeah definately, just from a pita install aspect, i would only buy GM Alts, its worth the extra few bucks. I remember years ago, my parents ran thru(and im not even close to jokin) 6 rebuilt alternators(this is within 3 weeks from a mom and pop place.....stranded twice....old mans face was classic second time!), they finally switched in one that worked, lol....a Delco!
Funny, but I went through exactly 6 rebuilds once too. They were from a local chain we have here in Chicago, called Lee Auto Parts. It was for my '89 Formula. Lucky for me, an alternator swap on a 3rd gen TPI car is so easy it could be done blindfolded and with a broken arm. Every one of the 6 went to **** after just a few weeks.

Finally, I gave up and bought one from the dealer. Didn't have another problem for the 2+ years that I had the car after that. From then on, GM rebuilds only for me.