General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

TCS off Light on

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 12:07 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TCS off Light on

Hey guys,

Yesterday I was driving from the job with my car, then about 3 mins of driving, the TCS off light poped up with no reason. I tried to turn it on and off and the light was always there, strange stuff.

I wonder if it's because I washed my car with a Karcher Steamer; that machine doesn't push water too hard, but I wonder if the water jet could have tiped off a cable or broke/un-plugged a sensor, since I washed the inside of the fenders, especially the left-rear one since it was really dirty inside it.

I laso removed the MAF grill and polished it on that day but I doubt it has anything to do with that

Any advise or info about that problem? Is it frequent? First time happening to me.
Old 04-19-2007, 12:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

not to say this is whats happening to your car.....but mine did that last week...and my battery died not long after

or it could just be the sensor back on the axle
Old 04-19-2007, 12:22 AM
On The Tree

Then maybe the battery has something to do with that because my battery is very low on voltage, still accept the charge quiet well, but seems like it can't store it. Just opening the windows with the powerlock makes the light fade down alot. Even when the car is running, when the rad fan starts, all the lights fades down. The alternator charges good, 14,5v.

Maybe it'S the batt, maybe not, but it's strange now that you say so, since i'm having torubles with mine too.
Old 04-19-2007, 11:11 AM
Banned

If the TCS light is ON but the ABS/Brake light is OFF, it is in a backup mode and the error is only effecting one corner of the car and is not critical enough to shut off the whole system. The majority of the possible issues involve a wheelspeed problem on only one corner of the car. The are some multiple failures that would only disable the TCS and leave ABS alive, but very unlikely.

So, you are looking for one issue on one corner of the car. Since you stated it came on after several minutes of driving, it is going to be an issue causing the Wheelspeed sensor to report a value approximatly 6% off or the wheelspeed sensor failed. Actually, I am probably boring you and my memory is a bit rusty since it has been several years since I worked at Bosch in ABS/TCS/ESP software.

First, check to make sure all wheelspeed sensor connectors are dry, clean and connected properly.

Second, make sure all tires are the same size and inflated to the same psi.

Third, check the wheelspeed tone wheels and verify they are clean and not missing any teeth. The front are integrated into the hubs, so nothing to do there unless one is bad. The rear (if I remember correctly) are not integrateed and you should be able to do a visual inspection.

Since the error occurred at speed, you may need to meet the conditions of the test for the light to go off. I can't remember if the f-bodies were ece13 complient or not.

If these don't fix it, let me know and I will try to help.
Old 04-19-2007, 05:11 PM
On The Tree

THanks alot, I'll check these sensors and the gears if they are in good shape. Maybe I just unplugged one with the waterjet. Btw, this morning, it did the same again, the light poped after a couple of minutes. And it is actually a one wheel problem only,I learnt it the bad way yesterday I was coming back from my gf when a jeep parks aside me at a light and makes his engine roar. When the light pops green, I let go the clutch but gee, the car was reacting so strange. I slowed on the gas, let the car grip again,s witched in 2nd and gave a good burst, but then againt the car started to act amazing lol The rear was bouncing left and right! That guy in that jeep must have had a good one cheking me going. Anyway, now that you say it affects only one wheel, my self esteem is on the way up again lol . . . loosing to a jeep, man it hurts.
Old 04-19-2007, 05:19 PM
TECH Veteran

My TCS "off" light was staying "ON" in the guage cluster with no other lights, and my fix was a new throttle position sensor. So you CAN have just the TCS "off" light staying on and it might have nothing to do with sensors on any wheel or anywhere under the car.

I had no SES light and the car ran just fine. Hell, I even unplugged the TPS and it ran fine. The PCM goes to SD tune. So you won't know your TPS is bad until you scan it.

Go to Advance Auto and get a free PCM scan.

Old 04-19-2007, 05:35 PM
Banned

True, but he said it comes on after driving at speed for several minutes. So, its not a TPS sensor.
Old 04-19-2007, 06:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Gregg_98TA
True, but he said it comes on after driving at speed for several minutes. So, its not a TPS sensor.
Mine never came on immediately after start-up either, it took a little bit to come on.

But ever since I got my Strange rear-end and went to 315 tires in the rear, my TCS, Brake and ABS light will come on after I do anything over 77 mph for about 5 minutes. If I keep it under 77mph everything will stay normal.

Wierd ****.

Old 04-19-2007, 06:22 PM
Banned

Its not weird. It is exactly as it was designed to do. If you have a deifference in wheelspeeds greater then 6% for a period of time, a fault will set. In your case, both rears are failing and shutting the system down since the ecu believes it is recieving incorrect information. And, it is better to do nothing than to create a condition where you can not stop.
Old 04-19-2007, 07:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Gregg_98TA
And, it is better to do nothing than to create a condition where you can not stop.
This has been happening since I did all of my mods in my sig, 5 years ago. I never did anything to try and fix it because I was told it was because of the tires not being factory size. Plus, while cruising on the highway TCS, ABS and having the Brake light on are meaningless to me anyway, so I have no interest in fixing it. It resets easy enough by just turning the key off and back on quickly, even while rolling in nuetral. I always cruise at 72-74 anyway, so this actually never happens anymore.

When I drive around the city, as long as I don't go over 77mph for 5 minutes, all systems are good to go.

Old 04-19-2007, 07:29 PM
Banned

Its not weird. It is exactly as it was designed to do. If you have a deifference in wheelspeeds greater then 6% for a period of time, a fault will set. In your case, both rears are failing and shutting the system down since the ecu believes it is recieving incorrect information. And, it is better to do nothing than to create a condition where you can not stop.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Mine is on also and the diagnosis I did on it led to the EBCM. Replaced it at the dealer where I used to work and it never came back on for the 2 days I had it on. I didn't feel like paying $450 my cost on it, so they let me return it. But that's where I would start.
Old 04-20-2007, 03:52 PM
On The Tree

Actually, I took the car today for work again. This time the light didn't pop either in my both runs, but todays is a sunny and hot day, so I guess that wash-up did put some water in the connector that might have shorted it for a while untill it dried. Anyone can tell me if I could be right by saying that or if I took too much drug yesterday night.
Old 04-20-2007, 04:09 PM
Banned

Water in the connector could definately cause the issue you were having. My guess would be that you will not see it again.
Old 04-20-2007, 04:21 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bad TPS sensor. When you shut the car off and crank it the issue goes away, it happens rarely, and you may or may not have noticed being kicked out of cruis control at times b/c of it for no reason. The 2 go hand in hand and the light comes on when it knocks CC off. Replace the TPS and this SHOULD fix it. OEM dealership is $54 and you can get them as cheap as $30ish for off-brand at Oreilys. I just went OEM. Fixed my issue, although I cannot guarantee you have the same problem it sounds similar.
Old 04-20-2007, 04:49 PM
12 Second Club

If water seeped into the ASR or TCS module under the hood which is highly possible, this is exactly what would happen. Your conditions sound the same as if you just simply unplugged the module compared to water not allowing a connection. Pop your hood and have a look at it. Its the box on the passenger side where all of your throttle lines end up running to. Take off the pigtail, dry and clean the surfaces and then plug it back in. Also if you have a test light, be sure that it is getting power at the end of the pig tail.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by JayErnie
Actually, I took the car today for work again. This time the light didn't pop either in my both runs, but todays is a sunny and hot day, so I guess that wash-up did put some water in the connector that might have shorted it for a while untill it dried. Anyone can tell me if I could be right by saying that or if I took too much drug yesterday night.
Without question that could be it. Every time I wash down my engine I have all the lights on for an entire day. ABS, TCS, Brake, Check Gauges light, and my alternator hits the red line. So I go for a drive with my bright headlights on, rear defogger and I crank my stereo to keep it out of the red while driving. If its a real hot day it'll clear up in about 30 minutes of driving.

Old 04-20-2007, 09:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by BLKWS.6
Bad TPS sensor. When you shut the car off and crank it the issue goes away, it happens rarely, and you may or may not have noticed being kicked out of cruis control at times b/c of it for no reason. The 2 go hand in hand and the light comes on when it knocks CC off. Replace the TPS and this SHOULD fix it. OEM dealership is $54 and you can get them as cheap as $30ish for off-brand at Oreilys. I just went OEM. Fixed my issue, although I cannot guarantee you have the same problem it sounds similar.
My cruise control worked for 1 week with my TPS not only "not working" but completely unplugged.

Old 04-20-2007, 10:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 801 Likes on 611 Posts

I had a similar issue last week. It seems to be working OK now.
Old 06-23-2007, 08:53 PM
TECH Regular

My ASR light 'off' in the cluster was on a startup for the first time in a long time. It stayed on while driving and then was not illuminated when I started up after sitting for a minute or two. So it sounds like a battery going bad or a faulty TPS sensor, based on the responses. I'll try charging the battery fully and checking to see if it comes on tomorrow at initial startup. Otherwise, I guess I'll be looking for a TPS sensor...