General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Rear Main Seal

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 08:57 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rear Main Seal

HOW DO YOU CHANGE THE REAR SEAL? i took the trans off to get rebuilt and got new flexplate cause i broke the last one.. so i ordered the rear main seal kit a circle gasget and a rear cover gasget seal... any help
Old 04-25-2007, 10:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if im thinking correct you have to have a special tool that installs the seal correctly cause it has a flange/lip on both sidesl and the tool makes the seal set flush on both sides of the rear main the inner and outer part so it sets correctly........
Old 04-26-2007, 12:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

If you got a new gm seal it is a new revised version that no longer needs the special tool to install it. The new seal says this side out in super small letters. Just grease the end of the crank slip it around the crank and then push it in so that it is flush with the taper on the rear cover. The new ones I have done were able to be pushed on without even having to use a small hammer to tap it down.
Old 04-26-2007, 05:45 PM
TECH Regular

should i even bother changing the rear cover gasget
Old 04-26-2007, 08:59 PM
TECH Regular

i pulled the entire back cover wich was easier nocked the old one out put new one in with new cover gasket tightened them just enough and the seal seems to be even all around so i guess ill find out if it leaks
Old 04-26-2007, 10:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 01WS6/tamu
If you got a new gm seal it is a new revised version that no longer needs the special tool to install it. The new seal says this side out in super small letters. Just grease the end of the crank slip it around the crank and then push it in so that it is flush with the taper on the rear cover. The new ones I have done were able to be pushed on without even having to use a small hammer to tap it down.

Ow i didnt know they changed it, cool mines got a small leak i noticed the other day when i got under the rack guess i'll get around to it sometime soon.........hey anybody possibly got the new number to the revised seal??
Old 04-27-2007, 11:24 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I tell you what if I was you I would probably go ahead and change the rear cover gasket just to cya. I just got done pulling a tranny twice to find the cover gasket was leaking while the engine was running.
Old 04-27-2007, 06:49 PM
TECH Regular

i changed both piece a cake
Old 04-28-2007, 12:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 01WS6/tamu
I tell you what if I was you I would probably go ahead and change the rear cover gasket just to cya. I just got done pulling a tranny twice to find the cover gasket was leaking while the engine was running.

yea i was planning on changing the rear gasket regardless just to be safe y'know.... also was the number to the rear seal changed being as it was revised??