General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Fram oil filters

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 03:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fram oil filters

Hey guys, had a quick question about Fram oil filters.

I don't use them, because I've always been told not to (I use Mobil 1). I realized that my girlfriend uses them because her dad "swears by them". Upon trying to convince her not to use them, I realized I didn't really have a reason except word of mouth from some well respected posters on this site.

Do any of you know why to stay away from the Fram oil filters? Thanks.
Old 05-10-2007, 03:23 PM
TECH Regular

Nope i have used one forever and i will keep using them
Old 05-10-2007, 03:32 PM
Staging Lane

Try this link. http://www.frankhunt.com/FRANK/corve...lterstudy.html
Old 05-10-2007, 03:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

I almost picked one up today. How are the K&N filters?
Old 05-10-2007, 04:05 PM
Launching!

I don't think they will cause a catastrophic engine failure....far from it. It is just there is documentation and evidence that says you can get a superior filter for the same if not better price. Go check out www.bobistheoilguy.com and you can see where they have filters that were cut apart. You will see how the quality of the materials used on the internals on the Fram filters isn't what it should be.
Old 05-10-2007, 04:15 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Back when I was in automotive school, they cut around a dozen oil filters in half. ACDelco and FRAM had the least amount of filtration material in them(they actually had very little). Wix had the most out of all the oil filters they cut open. I use Mobil 1, they didn’t have one of those cut open.
Old 05-10-2007, 04:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks everyone, this is good stuff
Old 05-10-2007, 06:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by loyolacub68
Hey guys, had a quick question about Fram oil filters.

I don't use them, because I've always been told not to (I use Mobil 1). I realized that my girlfriend uses them because her dad "swears by them". Upon trying to convince her not to use them, I realized I didn't really have a reason except word of mouth from some well respected posters on this site.

Do any of you know why to stay away from the Fram oil filters? Thanks.
Anyone who thinks oil filters are that much different are just suckers of the marketing campaigns of the oil filter manufacturers and internet forum polls.

Fram is just as good, if not better than all other filters. Period.

Get the Fram or the AC Delco and your engine oil will be filtered just as good as any other. Change your oil every 3,000 too.

Old 05-10-2007, 06:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by 2001somws.6
Our local hot-rod shop recommends ONLY them..KN are great filters.
Old 05-10-2007, 06:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Quickin
Change your oil every 3,000 too.
Not to be a jerk or anything but I thought that was part of oil companies marketing campaign as well, I run synthetic and go about every 5000 between changes. And I thought I was being a bit conservative.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

just go with a/c delco. not expensive, not cheap, flows decent, and believe it has the bypass valve to keep oil up above it for helping cold starts.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by loyolacub68
Not to be a jerk or anything but I thought that was part of oil companies marketing campaign as well, I run synthetic and go about every 5000 between changes. And I thought I was being a bit conservative.
I say 3,000 because there is "NO" filter that can last much more than that, I don't care what anyone or any manufacturer says.

I personally change mine every 2,000-2,500. No way oil can stay clean for 3,000+, in any engine. I think 5,000 is just crazy, but synthetic oil manufacturers can tell you that because they charge ridiculous prices for their oil, so they win in the end either way. I've used regular oil (not synthetic) in my 436ci stroker and it has over 75,000 miles, its still perfectly smooth, quiet and runs like the day I bought it. All original parts too. Oil pressure on start-up is 58 and then it slowly drops to no less than 42 when its hot. Fram and AC Delco filters are all I ever use, whichever one is easier to grab off the shelf at the store.

I know guys that had stroker motors and they don't last more than 30,000, and I'm talking parts failures (bearings, rods, cranks), and they all use synthetic, what a waste of money.

Too much talk about oil and filters, its all the same ****. Synthetic oil is the biggest scam going. You can't beat whats been working for 100 years. The oil companies are making some nice $$$ off selling it though.

IMO!!!! From my experience over the past 5 years with my stroker engine. And yes, I burn oil, but that is from the ring package my builder used and my long stroke, has nothing to do with oil or filters.

Old 05-10-2007, 09:50 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 2001somws.6
expensive
Old 05-11-2007, 01:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

yea it really dont matter what oil filter you use. i use fram never had a problem with it used other ones to dont notice any difference. other then k&n got that little nut on the bottom to make it a little easyer. and changing you're oil is good to change ever 3000.but if you dont drive much or race the car then it can go a little longer
Old 05-11-2007, 07:47 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Quickin
I say 3,000 because there is "NO" filter that can last much more than that, I don't care what anyone or any manufacturer says.

I personally change mine every 2,000-2,500. No way oil can stay clean for 3,000+, in any engine. I think 5,000 is just crazy, but synthetic oil manufacturers can tell you that because they charge ridiculous prices for their oil, so they win in the end either way. I've used regular oil (not synthetic) in my 436ci stroker and it has over 75,000 miles, its still perfectly smooth, quiet and runs like the day I bought it. All original parts too. Oil pressure on start-up is 58 and then it slowly drops to no less than 42 when its hot. Fram and AC Delco filters are all I ever use, whichever one is easier to grab off the shelf at the store.

I know guys that had stroker motors and they don't last more than 30,000, and I'm talking parts failures (bearings, rods, cranks), and they all use synthetic, what a waste of money.

Too much talk about oil and filters, its all the same ****. Synthetic oil is the biggest scam going. You can't beat whats been working for 100 years. The oil companies are making some nice $$$ off selling it though.

IMO!!!! From my experience over the past 5 years with my stroker engine. And yes, I burn oil, but that is from the ring package my builder used and my long stroke, has nothing to do with oil or filters.
I love people that know everything yet really have no clue.
Truth is you have no idea without doing detailed testing and used oil analysis to know what is going on. I have my used oil tested and I'm up to 7000 miles between changes and still getting very good results. There are others going with even higher change intervals than this with the same results. You keep going by how you "feel" about your oil and keep paying all that extra money to change your oil - its fine by me.

BTW to the original poster, cut open that orange fram filter and show them the cardboard end caps inside the filter that are known to leak easily. This lets unfiltered oil circulate thru your engine.
Go to bobistheoilguy.com - there should be internal pictures of the fram filters there.
Look for yourself.
Old 05-11-2007, 08:15 AM
Launching!

after reading all that, im not gonna use fram anymore.
Old 05-11-2007, 08:35 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, color me silly. I went to Bob's site and wandered all around, and was never able to see anywhere that showed these filters cut apart. Can anyone post a direct link to these pictures?
Old 05-11-2007, 10:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doesn't anybody know how to Google?

http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...h+Images&gbv=2
Old 05-11-2007, 11:04 AM
Staging Lane

Here is the link that everyone is referring to about cutting up the different oil filters:

http://people.msoe.edu/~yoderw/oilfi...lterstudy.html

Happy reading.
Old 05-11-2007, 12:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Weezzer
I love people that know everything yet really have no clue.
Truth is you have no idea without doing detailed testing and used oil analysis to know what is going on. I have my used oil tested and I'm up to 7000 miles between changes and still getting very good results. There are others going with even higher change intervals than this with the same results. You keep going by how you "feel" about your oil and keep paying all that extra money to change your oil - its fine by me.

BTW to the original poster, cut open that orange fram filter and show them the cardboard end caps inside the filter that are known to leak easily. This lets unfiltered oil circulate thru your engine.
Go to bobistheoilguy.com - there should be internal pictures of the fram filters there.
Look for yourself.
These are every day street cars, detailed analysis is a joke. Change the damn oil and filter every 3,000 and thats really all there is to it. 7,000 miles is ridiculous. Call me when you get some real horsepower AND over 75,000 miles on the engine and it still runs like day 1.

My TRUE, REAL LIFE experience has proven that regular oil is all thats needed for even the meanest of BIG stroker engines. Maybe I just take care of my engine better than you and most other people, who knows.

Quick Reply: Fram oil filters