Browse all: Tranmission Guides
Print Wikipost

Weird noise when shifting into reverse - *VIDEO*

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 12:56 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Weird noise when shifting into reverse - *VIDEO*

So this has happened on pretty much every Firebird/Trans Am I've owned, which is three presently, but this is by far the worst it's ever been. When I shift into reverse, I hear a grinding noise and it just doesn't seem like my car wants to go into that gear. It's not like it's actually difficult to shift into reverse, but it's defiantly harder to shift into reverse than it is to shift into any other gear. But here, you guys judge. This is me shifting form P to R twice.

So what do you guys think? The tranny fluid is where it needs to be and it drives fine for the most part aside from the rattles and bumps we're all accustomed to what with GM's wonderful craftsmanship. Suggestions?

EDIT: And let me also add that the first shift into R is not nearly as bad as it can be after the car has been sitting overnight or for a long period of time in general
Old 07-03-2007, 07:46 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

man, my car does the SAME EXACT THING..... seriously, if you can find any kind of answer let me know.. but it grinds just like that when i go from park to reverse...PLEASE LET ME KNOW
Old 07-03-2007, 08:20 PM
((((((Administrator))))))

There was alot of people with a "pop" going into R in the past. The fix from the dealerships was to install a new steel driveshaft.

Can't say for sure what it is though, just remember what the A4 guys were going through years ago and what the dealships did to fix.

Peace,
Craig.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:03 PM
Launching!

Ah faahck. Well at least I know my transmission isn't taking a dump and my rear end isn't getting ready to bomb out on me... I hope.

Does anybody else have some ideas as to what a fix for this could be? Other than a costly drive shaft replacement?
Old 07-04-2007, 01:34 AM
On The Tree

I would get a hold of the guys at sixspeedsinc.com, they might be able to tell you if it is related to something internal in the trans. I just had a complete rebuild done by them and my t56 was in bad shape but I never heard a noise like that when shifting into reverse.
Old 07-04-2007, 03:21 AM
((((((Administrator))))))

Originally Posted by convexion
I would get a hold of the guys at sixspeedsinc.com, they might be able to tell you if it is related to something internal in the trans. I just had a complete rebuild done by them and my t56 was in bad shape but I never heard a noise like that when shifting into reverse.
Thats because you have an M6, and he has an A4!

Originally Posted by Gallstaff
...This is me shifting form P to R twice.

...EDIT: And let me also add that the first shift into R is not nearly as bad as it can be after the car has been sitting overnight or for a long period of time in general
^^See?

Peace,
Craig.
Old 09-15-2007, 10:17 PM
Launching!

Hey guys so this is getting worse and worse. It's really intense and I'm embarrassed when people see me going into reverse to get out of a parking space since it's just this big loud embarrassing thud which totally detracts from the awesome-ness of my car haha. Any new ideas would be much appreciated.
The following users liked this post:
kwikchic (09-14-2022)
Old 09-16-2007, 10:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've had 4 4 gens and they all do that with an Aluminum DS on the car with the stock stall. It could be a trans problem if there is a long delay as you said it feels like it doesn't want to go into R. Post up in the Automatic Trans forum.
Old 09-16-2007, 10:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As stated before that is the driveshaft. Just about every auto trans LS1 with the aluminum shaft does it. Replacing it with a new stock aluminum driveshaft will fix the problem, but only for a while.
Old 09-16-2007, 06:39 PM
Launching!

I thought that the stock driveshaft WASN'T aluminum and that a one piece aluminum driveshaft was a popular upgrade. So I guess I'm in the market for a new driveshaft - any suggestions on what one wont take a dump on me for a reasonable price?
Old 09-16-2007, 06:59 PM
10 Second Club

I know all this talk is about the DS, but have you looked at your tranny mount to make sure its not fk'ed up? Made made almost the same noise when i discovered i have a trans. mount that was completely ripped in 1/2. The noise was the Trans. hitting the floor board and the exaust hitting the trans.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:12 AM
Teching In

Had the same problem. I had to swap out for a steel driveshaft - heavier, but much stronger. Also, check your u-joints and tranny mount, as those were also bad on mine.
With everything, you should look at spending $500 - doing it yourself that is. Not very difficult.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:58 PM
TECH Resident

i've got a steel ds from my 97z two new ujoints and balanced just wanted the ls1 alm ds
Old 09-18-2007, 12:38 AM
Teching In

damn that the same damn noise i got in my 99 z28. please let me know if you find a good fix it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:01 AM
Banned

i would definently say u joints!!!! they are not costly at all, and also if you have recently removed the driveshaft there is a special grease you have to put in the yoke where it connects to the output shaft so that can be it as well, but just to do a test jack up the rear and start the car put it in reverse see if it still does it that will eliminate the posiblity of a drivetrain problem and tranny problem goodluck
Old 09-18-2007, 11:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Forget everything I said then........I thought it was an M6.............

Last edited by SOM02WS6; 09-18-2007 at 02:33 PM.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SOM02WS6
This might sound dumb, put the car in another gear before putting it into reverse. If going from park put it into 5th don't let the clutch out but them drop it into R..... If it works great I will explain it later if not them you have something else going on...Its not going to be the U joints or anything to do with the drive shaft since the car isn't moving yet..
The shaft still shifts a little though when putting it into gear. Only thing from keeping it from continuing to turn is because the brakes are on.

He has an A4, not manual BTW so your testing won't work.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:05 PM
Launching!

Hey guys, I haven't been home from school yet so I haven't had a chance to get under the car yet, but I have been thinking - how could it be the u joints going bad? Maybe I just don't grasp the idea, but if I'm not actually moving, aren't the u joints not moving as well? I would think they wouldn't make any sort of noise until my wheels start spinning.
Old 09-20-2007, 05:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gallstaff
Hey guys, I haven't been home from school yet so I haven't had a chance to get under the car yet, but I have been thinking - how could it be the u joints going bad? Maybe I just don't grasp the idea, but if I'm not actually moving, aren't the u joints not moving as well? I would think they wouldn't make any sort of noise until my wheels start spinning.
When the U joints are loose the slop lets the shaft rotate a little then stop making a clunking noise.
Old 09-21-2007, 11:11 AM
TECH Regular

Any drive train slop will cause a bang of clink when going rev. to drive. Sounds to me like a little slop in the rear end or LS differential(gear lash). This is normal for a high mileage car. Mine does it. It slowly gets worse to a point that you may want to start replacing stuff. With the e-brake on and the auto in neutral, go under the car and turn the driveshaft back and forth. That will show you the play in the differential housing and/or U-joints.

I'm chasing a strange clicking sound that only apears after I was beating on the car. Changing U-joints on the AL driveshaft did not make any of the noises go away. I'm thinking my problem is an axle bearing, pinion bearing or c-clip issue.

Quick Reply: Weird noise when shifting into reverse - *VIDEO*