Battery problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 04:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery problems

I know this is stupid guys but everytime i leave my car a few days without

starting it the battery sounds real draggy when started. Tonight i tried to

start my car for the first time in 4 days and it wouldn't even turn over. I have

a new Interstate battery (only about 3 months old). I checked my cables and

there tight and clean. I had to jump the car tonight and it took it a while to

charge enough to start it. After it started the voltage gauge went right up to

normal ao i dont think its the alternator. I let it charge for just a couple min.

and shut it off and it fired right back up. Does anybody know what my

problem could be? Does anyone else experience this with there f-body?
Old 07-16-2007, 04:21 AM
TECH Resident

Do you have an after market sound system, alarm, or any other hardwired components that are not factory?
Old 07-16-2007, 04:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes the car has an indash dvd player and an after market alarm and remote start.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:41 AM
TECH Regular

Mine did the same thing a few years ago. I removed the clifford alarm negative cable at the battery and let it sit and it didn't die. It turns out a solenoid the installer used for the rear trunk was always 'on' causing the drain. It was unpluggled and it's been fine since. I've heard you can also hook up a amp meter and then start pulling fuses to isolate the area. Chances are though it's an aftermarket component.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

My trunk is missing some kind of sensor or something cause my trunk light is always on. I wonder if that could be my problem.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

maybe.....
Old 07-22-2007, 11:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well i still have the dead battery problem guys. Haven't started my camaro in about 4 days went to start it and it did nothing but click. So i'm gonna have to jump or push start it again. What could be draining my battery cause i'm not leaveing anything on. How do i go about finding out what is draining it. Thanks for any help guys.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:21 AM
11 Second Club

you mentioned your truck light always being on...that dont help.
Old 07-23-2007, 03:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Its the light in the dash that tells you that your trunk is up. Not actually the light in the trunk. The light in the dash only comes on when the car is running. I should have explained that a little better....sorry guys.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I also turned my dvd player off before i shut my car off last time to see if it made a difference but it didn't. I also didn't set the after market alarm to see if it help but nope it didn't.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:10 PM
11 Second Club

alternator?
Old 07-23-2007, 01:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

After i get the car started and let it run for a few minutes and shut it off it will fire right back up. The only time it want start is when i let the car sit a few days without starting it. I figured if it was the alternator it wouldn't start right back up plus i thought the alternator was what kept the car running pretty much after the battery gets it started. I know on my 91 camaro when the alternator went out the car didn't run right and would die cause the alternator wasn't putting out enough fire to run all the electrical stuff. I'm gonna have to get this thing figured out theough. Might just have to take it some where and get it looked at.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

You have an electrical draw somewhere. My guess it has to do with the BCM staying on due to it thinking your trunk is open. When did the hatch light start staying on, after your alarm was installed? If so take it back and have them fix it.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dal1as
You have an electrical draw somewhere. My guess it has to do with the BCM staying on due to it thinking your trunk is open. When did the hatch light start staying on, after your alarm was installed? If so take it back and have them fix it.
No the trunk light was on before my alarm was put on. They couldn't hook the sensor up that tells the alarm the trunk is open because of this. How would i go about fixing that hatch light. I figure there is a sensor in that latch that tells my light in my dash to come on because the hatch isn't closed. So will i have to get another latch for my trunk?
Old 07-26-2007, 09:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by EarlSS
No the trunk light was on before my alarm was put on. They couldn't hook the sensor up that tells the alarm the trunk is open because of this. How would i go about fixing that hatch light. I figure there is a sensor in that latch that tells my light in my dash to come on because the hatch isn't closed. So will i have to get another latch for my trunk?
I believe the sensor is in the latch mechanism. With the trunk light illuminated your BCM module is staying armed in valet mode or whatever it's called. All accessories stay on like 10 or 15 minutes after you turn the car off. When diagnosing my draw last year (It was my cd changer hooked up wrong) I noticed with the valet mode activated my draw went from the normal of 40 mamps to a little over 100 mamps.

Maybe take a look around the latch assembly to see if you have any loose wires.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dal1as
I believe the sensor is in the latch mechanism. With the trunk light illuminated your BCM module is staying armed in valet mode or whatever it's called. All accessories stay on like 10 or 15 minutes after you turn the car off. When diagnosing my draw last year (It was my cd changer hooked up wrong) I noticed with the valet mode activated my draw went from the normal of 40 mamps to a little over 100 mamps.

Maybe take a look around the latch assembly to see if you have any loose wires.
I'll take a look at the latch assembly to check for a loose wire. Will this cause my battery to go dead in like 3 days without the car from even being started?
Old 08-01-2007, 03:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I checked the latch assembly and all the wires are hooked up and none of them seem loose. The light in the dash still stays on tellin me my trunk is open when its not plus i had to jump my car again today after letting it set for about 2 1/2 days with out starting it. What should i do first just go ahead and get a new latch assembly?
Old 08-02-2007, 09:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Not sure what you can do next. I hate electrical problems for this reason.

I have one now I can't trace where my check guages light comes on randomly with all my guages checking fine. Only thing I can think of is the gas tank sensor or alternator.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I disconnected the wires from the bottom of the trunk assembly and the light in my dash went off tellin me that my trunk was open. So i'm gonna say thats where the sensor was causing my dash light to come on. My interior lights also are not running in valet mode all the time now while the car is running. I'm gonna see if leaving those wires unplugged helps to keep my battery from goin dead and if it does then i'll get me a new trunk latch assembly soon.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if thats not the problem, put a multi-meter on your battery and have someone start pulling fuses. if the battery voltage changes at all you have found the drain.