General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

can u guys help me? knock or tick and squeal..WTF?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 09:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default can u guys help me? knock or tick and squeal..WTF?

Ive got this posted on all the forums cause I want to figure out what this is?
I have no idea....if this is in the wrong place, sorry bout that I just need help.

listen to the knocking and especially the squealing!..like metal to metal

here is the write up and vid...help me out please?
THis has been th worse nightmare of a build...I just wanted a fast car to have fun on the weekends and had it for a few weekends but never raced anyone except for an 07 GT which I took care of. Anyways, I havent drove the car since Weds. cause of my trans overheating problem so I install the new trans cooler today and buttoned everything up and decided to take it to a shop that I knew the guys and where I always got my bottle filled and decided to do that and go ahead and put it on their dyno to see what Ive got before I have it dyno tuned. I start the car up and head out n Im thinkin "cool" cause the trans temp is way down....and then after about 3 miles I start hearing this rat tat tat sound so I stop and get gas and pop the hood and can hear it real good when I give it gas but doesnt do it at idle so I figured it would go away.....I just figured it was normal but then it got louder but only does it when I get on it and just certain RPM's and as im driving I check my oil pressure and notice that its bouncing from 40 to 80 like if someone was unplugin/plugin the sending unit then it goes back to normal 40psi while driving....I go about 15miles to the shop and shut it off..they havnt seen my car in a year and half since I blew the 160000 mile 305.....I ask them what they think it is and start the car...he told me more than likely its valve train and to go home and adjust my lash cause they may have come loose....then an other guy which I met 2 weeks ago pulls up and he seems to be pretty smart about motors from when I met/talked to him (he's got an S10 with an LT1 in it) anyways....he listens to it and I told him about the oil pressure freaking out on me and instantly says ROD BEARING OR WRIST PIN and the reason for the pressure spikes was because I was loosing pressure in that cylinder...an Im like...no freakin way???? and start cussin!!..he told me that I should tow it home and pull the motor....I told him I cant tow it that I have to drive it....he's say he's certain that it will be doing it at idle by the time I get home. The first guys says to adjust the lash before pulling the motor just to make sure.....SO I head home and baby it on the way and yes it was doing it at ilde by the time I got to the house..rat tat tat real loud.. I adjust the lash and found 2 to be out. I finish all of them and fire the motor and the sound it gone..Im like WHEW!!! the first guy was right.....its about 9:30pm by now so I head out after taking a shower to see what I can find on the roads...I drive and no noise. Then after about 10 miles I can hear the sound coming back I turn around and stop at a store and pop the hood and yep! the sound is there and loud so I head back to the house and can hear it getting louder and louder and at every stop I can hear it and when I took off it is now with all the RPM's....I pull it in the garage and pop the hood again to see and hear....the motor is toast!.....now the sound is very real and I can hear the loud rat-tat-tat and even a squeaking sound to go along with it like 2 pieces of metal grinding against eachother...Im thinking..I CANT BELIEVE THIS!..and start laughing!!!..

Old 08-05-2007, 10:51 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ouch...yea..it sounds like a bearing to me..Hopefully im wrong tho. Good luck either way, and sorry to hear about this...
Old 08-05-2007, 11:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

alot of people are pointing to valvetrain....but I dont know what the squealing is
Old 08-05-2007, 12:15 PM
TECH Regular

does it do it all the time now? Or only after it warms up?
Old 08-05-2007, 12:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

all of the time
Old 08-22-2007, 09:46 PM
11 Second Club

Sounds like a bearing, my LS1 just started doing that exact same thing today. A little more intensely though... lol

It will be a few days 'till I can take it apart, but I was doing a bunch of runs from a dig and lost oil pressure down to like 20. Checked the oil and it was a bit lower than normal, I think it was too low for the pump and sent the bearings dry.

Good excuse to upgrade, that's the way I see it!
Old 08-22-2007, 10:26 PM
TECH Addict

drain the oil, look for brass/copper shavings, then

if not...

collapsed lifter? pull the valve covers and see if you can spot a rocker not moving as much as the others...
Old 08-23-2007, 08:51 PM
11 Second Club

Another good test, pull the spark plugs on the cylinders one at a time while idling and listen for the sound to change (make them loose before starting the vehicle). Use insulated pliers/gloves or you will prolly get shocked but a good way to see if it is a problem in a cylinder. On mine I just pull the coil pack until I hear which one is the problem. The force of the cylinder firing is what makes most of the noise. Checking the oil is a good idea too.

If that doesn't work then it is probably something else and just take a look under your valve covers.