General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

oil pressure fluctuating

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 12:57 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default oil pressure fluctuating

hey guys dumb question but my oil pressure is fluctuating.... at 1000 rpm its at 12-15 psi at 3000 rpm its about 40 it goes up with rpms but ive never seen it get that low at idle it use to idle at 20 its a fresh oil change my question is what could be causing the flutuating gauge
Old 09-07-2007, 01:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow yah my friends camaro ss started doing that just a week ago after a fast intake manifold, fuel rails and the 90 mm tb came on. this happened after he got his car tuned, not sure what it is though but keep me posted plz

thank you,
michael
Old 09-07-2007, 01:51 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by night ghost
wow yah my friends camaro ss started doing that just a week ago after a fast intake manifold, fuel rails and the 90 mm tb came on. this happened after he got his car tuned, not sure what it is though but keep me posted plz

thank you,
michael
Well as of right now i let the car cool down and started it and as soon as i turned it on it stayed at zero i turned it off but it was to late i think i have a bearing out right now my luck has sucked for the last 2 months lost the gf took out my clutch and tranny in the T/A took the rear end and axle out in my 65 chevelle i think quite a few people in the world right now are playing the worlds smallest

Last edited by 71velle; 09-07-2007 at 02:19 AM.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:19 AM
Launching!

well i would say the oil pump went bad
Old 09-07-2007, 11:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 71velle
Well as of right now i let the car cool down and started it and as soon as i turned it on it stayed at zero i turned it off but it was to late i think i have a bearing out right now my luck has sucked for the last 2 months lost the gf took out my clutch and tranny in the T/A took the rear end and axle out in my 65 chevelle i think quite a few people in the world right now are playing the worlds smallest
well hopefully everything goes good, but man that would suck if that did happen sorry man
Old 09-07-2007, 04:51 PM
On The Tree

thanks guys im gunna be looking into it here if its the oil pump ill fix that if it the motor ill be rebuilding or buying a crate motor most likely rebuild it but i hope nothing to serious happened and if its internal hopefully its just a bearing
Old 09-07-2007, 05:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 71velle
i hope nothing to serious happened and if its internal hopefully its just a bearing
A bearing is nothing to blow off. It is serious.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:53 PM
On The Tree

Default Check Sending unit

While it sounds pretty serious, if the motor is still running OK with no unusual noises I'd check the oil pressure with a mechanical gauge. I've had the oil pressure sending unit go bad on three different cars and a diesel truck. Start with the least cost items before spending money on the expensive ones. I'm sure you've already checked the oil level. Since the problem started after the oil change, could the wrong oil or filter have been used? Good Luck.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:55 PM
On The Tree

yeah very true anything that goes wrong in an internal engine is serious but it could be worse anyone have a rough estimate on a full rebuild for ls1 ay help or advice is appreciated
Old 09-08-2007, 03:21 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Originally Posted by HDNVALLEY
While it sounds pretty serious, if the motor is still running OK with no unusual noises I'd check the oil pressure with a mechanical gauge. I've had the oil pressure sending unit go bad on three different cars and a diesel truck. Start with the least cost items before spending money on the expensive ones. I'm sure you've already checked the oil level. Since the problem started after the oil change, could the wrong oil or filter have been used? Good Luck.

^^ ^^

The sender unit has done this on a few F-bodies I have fixed. Most definately check you actual oil pressure with a wet gauge to be sure.
Old 09-08-2007, 03:29 PM
11 Second Club

im having the same problem myself. are there any other spots to get an oil pressure reading, other than the sender thats all the way behind the intake manifold?
Old 09-08-2007, 09:15 PM
On The Tree

well personally if anything its my oil pump becuz if anything im not getting any oil to the top of my motor u can hear the rocker arms chatter plus i already bealive i spun a bearing so right now in the process of looking to see how much itll cost to rebuild an LS1