General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

how important is properly torquing the wheel lugs

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 09:18 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how important is properly torquing the wheel lugs

I am going to be putting new rotors on and want to know if I dont use a Torque wrench will it warp my rotors ? I am ole school and just always crank them up tight as I can lol..........how much is a decent torque wrench ?

Last edited by rrgray8; 10-26-2007 at 09:49 PM.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Good to see a local guy. You dont' want to overtighten you could break one. use a tq wrench is safe and easy and quick. No reason not too!

good luck
Old 10-26-2007, 09:54 PM
TECH Regular

You can pick up a craftsman 1/2 drive torque wrench for $70 or so and feel good knowing you're torqued properly. You could also find one cheaper on ebay as well....
Old 10-26-2007, 11:35 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by coolformula
Good to see a local guy. You dont' want to overtighten you could break one. use a tq wrench is safe and easy and quick. No reason not too!

good luck
u live in the Dalton area ?
Old 10-26-2007, 11:37 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am a big believer in properly torqued fasteners. Not only is it important to have them torqued to the correct value, but also having them tightened evenly.

While an under-tightened fastener could become loose, a fastener that is over-tightened could become stressed and fail.

In your situation with installing new rotors and then re-installing the wheels, yes, having the lugs unevenly secured could make the rotors more prone to warping. It also doesn't distribute the load evenly on each stud, which can allow the ones tightened less than the others to loosen over time.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:48 PM
TECH Addict

well, ive never once used a torque wrench to tighten lug nuts if that helps any. although now that i finally picked up a torque wrench i will probably start
Old 10-27-2007, 12:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just get a torque wrench, Autozone has a 1/2" drive clicky one for $25, so there's no reason not to. And yes, overtightening can/will warp rotors.

Edit: It's $30

Last edited by Formula413; 10-27-2007 at 07:59 PM.
Old 10-27-2007, 07:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hah, I love that "just crank on 'em" attitude.

Wanna hear a story?

Back a few years ago, my friends and I were working on this POS Alfa and changing the pads.

I was the only one who really knew how to do brakes, so I did them. Then I went inside to clean up and told one of the guys to torque the wheels down. I figured I had already set the torque wrench for them, what could go wrong?

Well, we go to drive it back down the driveway and it just will not move and starts squealing and ****. So I get down and watch the wheels while they try to drive it backward and all I see is the rotors get red hot.

I go "you retards, did you torque them right?" and get a response of "I thought I'd save time by just going crazy tight!"

Well, turns out "going crazy tight" on a hat-style rotor means you're pressing the rotor against the inner pad REALLY hard.

Lesson learned for them.

Yeah, so, no.
Old 10-27-2007, 08:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

I"m in chattanooga area. Used to be down in dalton a good bit.

I had my beater car tire repaired by a major chain in chatt town, well they broke the lug nut and threaded it wrong. now I have to get that fixed.

Its important to do this job correctly and evenly and not tq one down 100 and go the next one. star patttern and not all 100 ft pound at one time.
Old 10-27-2007, 11:48 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by coolformula
I"m in chattanooga area. Used to be down in dalton a good bit.

I had my beater car tire repaired by a major chain in chatt town, well they broke the lug nut and threaded it wrong. now I have to get that fixed.

Its important to do this job correctly and evenly and not tq one down 100 and go the next one. star patttern and not all 100 ft pound at one time.
here is a forum where alot of locals are
http://www.streetcarforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7
Old 10-28-2007, 03:12 PM
Staging Lane

you should also tighten the nuts down in a star order (where as you do not tighten the nut next to the one you just tightened, but opposite it) and snug the up before the tire touches the ground so the wheel locates properly, always using the star order.