General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Battery keeps draining, tell me where to start

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 06:08 PM
yak
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Default Battery keeps draining, tell me where to start

So my battery keeps draining over night. How do I go about finding where it is draining from? can someone walk me through what I need to do? I'm guessing I can test for current though where the fuses go and see if something is up but I rarely deal with electrical issues and am at a loss.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe it's the battery itself? Bring it to a parts store and get a free load test - if nothing else it'll eliminate it as the problem.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:32 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need to disconnect the negative cable and put an amp meter in between the cable and the battery. If you read over .5 amps you have a problem (make sure the door is closed, key off etc.), if it's under it probably is the battery. You might hear something click as you connect the wire, that might lead you to the culprit. Then you need to rule out circuits by disconnecting wires or pulling fuses until the draw is under .5 amps.
Old 11-23-2007, 08:08 PM
yak
TECH Fanatic

so i was pulling fuses and putting the ammeter in place of the fuse, with everything off the headlight doors were pulling about .4A combined could this be my problem?
Old 11-24-2007, 01:18 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do u have a a sound system in your car or somethin?? We can all give u a bunch of suggestions but if it keeps up the best thing u can do is simply take it to an electrical shop n they'll tell u what it is! In my area it cost me $20 to get a pain in the *** problem with my headlights after askin around n tryin to fix it on my own for bout 2 weeks!
Old 11-24-2007, 11:49 AM
yak
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by conde'strans
Do u have a a sound system in your car or somethin?? We can all give u a bunch of suggestions but if it keeps up the best thing u can do is simply take it to an electrical shop n they'll tell u what it is! In my area it cost me $20 to get a pain in the *** problem with my headlights after askin around n tryin to fix it on my own for bout 2 weeks!
An electrical shop? i've never heard of such a thing. care to shed some more light on this?
Old 11-24-2007, 01:36 PM
11 Second Club

My God where do u live that you've never heard of electrical shops for cars? Just open your phone book and look up auto electricians/shops. Same thing happened to me in my Tahoe and it ended up being that I had my indash screen/stereo hooked up directly to my battery instead of needing to put the key in the ignition. I just hooked it up so that it needed the key in the ignition to power up n problem solved.
Old 11-25-2007, 01:57 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by conde'strans
You must live in a less-expensive area. The electric shop that I used to work out now charges $85 just to look at the car.