General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Just bought my ws6 and having problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 11:40 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought my ws6 and having problems

Greetings to the community, I'm new to the neighborhood. I just recently purchased a used ws6 in San Diego, I live in Phoenix Arizona. Upon returning to Arizona, I came across a couple issues which have me concerned.

After a good 100 miles into the trip, I started to notice that when I applied the brakes, the lights would flicker and my radio would skip as though it lost power for a split second. I notice it all the way into Arizona. The skip in the radio eventually stopped, the light flickering however has not.

When reaching Arizona I got off an offramp to refuel and when making it to the stop sign, I apply my brakes and the whole vehicle shuts off, leaving the car at a stop with the key reminder beep going off (Keys in ignition reminder beep). I restart the car and the radio time has reset itself (Seems like everything reset). The car runs fine all the way home.

I take the car to Pontiac where they bring up problems relating to the AC compressor being out and a leak in the rear differential. They replace a few filters, serpentine belt and I pick up the car. (I have to wait for my warranty to kick in "30 days" to repair the AC/Rear).

I picked the car up from Pontiac Friday and just yesterday when starting the car, the idle fluctuates from low to high, when I rev and let off it goes to a real low idle almost dying. I try to drive the car up the street and had it bog and die out on me twice when applying the brakes...I park it...and now I pray nothing big is wrong.

Sorry for making this so long, tried to be as detailed as I could. Any ideas? Anyone have a similar problem? My first instincts are that it is computer related, which I dread to confirm. I guess to summarize, I am losing power when applying the brakes (completely at times), what could be happening?

2001 Trans Am Ws6 - 68,xxx miles.
Old 12-31-2007, 03:42 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a similar issue and believe it or not it turned out the battery connectors were corroded. Cleaned em off and no more issues with lights and car trying to kill itself.

If it is not that, I would take out the MAF and clean the sensors. Make sure all the intake sensors and hoses are connected as well, check for any air leaks. Check the pcv and egr. Good luck.

Is the car stock? I also had similar issues after heads and cam. Nothing a tune wouldn't fix.
Old 12-31-2007, 03:44 PM
TECH Regular

have the battery tested as well.
Old 12-31-2007, 04:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The idle fluctuation sounds either battery or vacuum related IMO.
Old 12-31-2007, 04:42 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Alex L.
I had a similar issue and believe it or not it turned out the battery connectors were corroded. Cleaned em off and no more issues with lights and car trying to kill itself.

If it is not that, I would take out the MAF and clean the sensors. Make sure all the intake sensors and hoses are connected as well, check for any air leaks. Check the pcv and egr. Good luck.

Is the car stock? I also had similar issues after heads and cam. Nothing a tune wouldn't fix.
+1 on the battery connectors. These batteries are known to leak and corode the cables. The same thing happened to me and I had to replace both cables. They were so corroded inside the insulation.
Old 12-31-2007, 04:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check your battery terminals and wires.

Then check your grounds, make sure they are tight!! A bad ground will make some crazy **** start happening.
Old 12-31-2007, 09:05 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Alex L.

Right on, actually turned out to be a near dead battery not pumping out enough voltage. She's back to running like a champ. The car is bone stock, not even window tint I'm going to go ahead and give it a good tune up though, seeing as how we just pulled out the original fuel filter. Thanks everyone for the advice, certainly appreciated.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Good to hear you got everything resolved, I went through the same thing once, turned out to be the battery, who'd of thunk it...