General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Pulsing lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 12:37 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pulsing lights

This is amusing, yet at the same time kind of annoying.

My lights pulse, like a heart beat. All of them, dash, cluster, headlights, taillights, you name it it will pulse.

Just got the car a week and a half ago, this just started. Doesn't seem to affect anything, it's just getting on my nerves.

So... anyone with some solutions? I have off of work tomorrow and will have some to look through things.

Only thing I can think of off the top of my head is possibly a bad ground?
Old 01-03-2008, 12:59 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like one of your spark plug wires are grounded some where
Old 01-03-2008, 01:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

^What ? I would check grounds and alternator output.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

check the battery connections/ alt power and ground, and plugs...did you ever run a carfax on the car to make sure it wasnt ever in a flood or anything that might screw up the electrical system?
Old 01-03-2008, 04:09 AM
MJK
TECH Resident

I have this same problem and haven't been able to figure it out.All the lights will pulse.Not to any great degree,just very subtle and steady.But once you notice it,it starts to drive you crazy because you can't figure it out.

Battery is good,contacts,alt...etc...Also getting good voltage reading on the volt meter in the dash.

I have searched and apparently a few others have had the same problem.Nobody though has posted a solution if any were found.

Things that make you go Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.......
Old 01-03-2008, 04:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

sometimes on the dimmer switch theres bad connections, or its going bad, too sensitive something... happened on my old 96...drove me nuts and once i started to turn down the lights a little it was still doing it, switched it out and it helped it but didnt fix it completely... not a whole fix but maybe itll be a fix for someone else... I never tried it but try reading the voltage when its doing that to see whats goin on
Old 01-03-2008, 11:37 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by venomhp
sometimes on the dimmer switch theres bad connections, or its going bad, too sensitive something... happened on my old 96...drove me nuts and once i started to turn down the lights a little it was still doing it, switched it out and it helped it but didnt fix it completely... not a whole fix but maybe itll be a fix for someone else... I never tried it but try reading the voltage when its doing that to see whats goin on
I car faxed it, car came out clean. I will do all the grounds again for the sake of it and get a voltage off the alternator to see if it fluxes at all. My dad also immediately suggested the dimmer switch so I will have to try and take a look at that too.

MJK, described exactly what I'm talking about. Real subtle pulsing of the lights, wouldn't be annoying if I didn't notice it! Lol.
Old 01-03-2008, 11:43 AM
11 Second Club

Mine did that, was the alternator.
Old 01-03-2008, 12:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

my car does the same thing when I first start the car up. Once its warmed up it will stop doing the pulsing. Its been doing this for 2 years now and nothing bad has happened so I wouldn't worry to much about it. just a little annoying
Old 01-03-2008, 02:31 PM
Banned

it will also do this with bad spark plug wire with to much resistance
Old 01-04-2008, 01:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

god I hate electrical systems...but theyre so nice when everything works perfectly...
Old 01-05-2008, 12:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have something similar, noticed my lights will dim a little, then go back to bright again. Noticed my voltmeter on the dash is up a little above 14 then it'll drop down to 13 then go back to 14 again. Weird. Gonna check battery connections first I suppose. Hope it isn't the alternator....
Old 01-05-2008, 09:18 AM
On The Tree

I have the same thing happing right now *Thread "Disco Lights"* man it suc
Old 01-05-2008, 09:53 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Alternator here as well. Guage and everything looked fine, no other issues just pulsing lights. changed alternator and no more pulsing lights.
Old 01-05-2008, 04:57 PM
Staging Lane

I have a bad feeling it's the alternator, only because for me when something goes wrong it's never the easiest/cheapest thing to fix, lol.

Also a quick question not pertaining to the lights. My coolant level light keeps coming on... but my coolant level is fine. Anyway to get rid of this dumb thing, I have a feeling the sensor went.
Old 01-05-2008, 05:29 PM
MJK
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SovXietday
I have a bad feeling it's the alternator, only because for me when something goes wrong it's never the easiest/cheapest thing to fix, lol.

Also a quick question not pertaining to the lights. My coolant level light keeps coming on... but my coolant level is fine. Anyway to get rid of this dumb thing, I have a feeling the sensor went.
Very common F-Body problem...You can try cleaning it and reinstalling or you need to buy a new sensor.
Old 01-05-2008, 05:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My interior lights have started acting funny when i turn the ignition off! everything goes off, then a minute or so later they come back on flicker a couple times fade out then stay off
Old 01-05-2008, 05:36 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by MJK
Very common F-Body problem...You can try cleaning it and reinstalling or you need to buy a new sensor.
Ok thanks, where is that sensor located, near the top of the rad?
Old 01-05-2008, 07:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tording99Z28
Alternator here as well. Guage and everything looked fine, no other issues just pulsing lights. changed alternator and no more pulsing lights.
Same here!

My car was doing it since I got it around 2 years ago and didn't get worse or better.. then all the sudden I started my car one night and it was really.. really bad. soo bad the headlights looked like they were turning on and off. Next day I changed the alternator and no problems since.
Old 01-05-2008, 11:57 PM
MJK
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by tording99Z28
Originally Posted by sixvi6-camaro
Same here!

My car was doing it since I got it around 2 years ago and didn't get worse or better.. then all the sudden I started my car one night and it was really.. really bad. soo bad the headlights looked like they were turning on and off. Next day I changed the alternator and no problems since.
Well...was hoping it was something cheaper but,at least we know what the answer MOST likely is...The alt.