General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Misfire?? Hard Ass Idling; Ses Flashes!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 11:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Misfire?? Hard *** Idling; Ses Flashes!!

What is the damn problem??? Ive changed the plugs, fuel filter, used heet and lucas fuel injector cleaner, Ive recently rebuilt the transmission, what the **** else is wrong with my car...grrrrr Please I have been told it is the spark plug wires, ive gone to pep boys and bought those already if you think that would cause this horrible idle and lurching when it drives it feels like, and SES light flashes after being on for 1 min... Ide really appreciate if anyone could help diagnose this problem beofre i go crazy!!!!!!
Old 01-08-2008, 11:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

when it flashes its mostlikely a misfire, which is obvious, scan it see wat cylinder or cylinders are misfireing, then get further in it, might be a coil pack or fuel injecter, if u did plugs and wires already
Old 01-09-2008, 01:59 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

please do a favor and do not drive with a flashing ses light, what its telling u is ur cats are clogging the more u drive it!!!
Old 01-09-2008, 03:03 AM
Staging Lane

scan it and see what codes your throwing and then go from there
Old 01-09-2008, 08:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

a flashing code can be anything not just a clogged cat
Old 01-10-2008, 12:00 AM

Ok i def changed the wires tonight, and still nothing changed, it was knocking and being all weird.. and yes i have to drive my car to work so when the light starts flashing i turn off th ecar wait ten sec and go, when the car starts heating up the problem isnt as bad but still there. So could it be the cats? or what? is it expensive? thank you all for replying and having input! :-)
Old 01-10-2008, 04:10 PM
TECH Regular

Don't have it scanned, the only thing that will do is tell you what is wrong so you can fix it.
Old 01-11-2008, 09:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

lol spink thats why i quit responding in this thread
Old 01-11-2008, 11:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ae13291
please do a favor and do not drive with a flashing ses light, what its telling u is ur cats are clogging the more u drive it!!!
Um, okay, because that's the only code that could be represented by a flashing SES light?

Seriously, if you just did a plug+wire change, check to make sure one of your wires didn't shift and is now resting on one of your header pipes (had it happen once before)
Old 01-11-2008, 12:55 PM
On The Tree

I damaged a precat O2 sensor some how when I swapped out my transmission and it made my car miss and back fire and all kinds of things. Get it scanned, go from there.
Old 01-11-2008, 02:22 PM
TECH Regular

my flashing SES was that my #6 wire was burnt onto the header lol. Replaced that wire and now all is well!
Old 01-11-2008, 02:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 93redBIRDman
my flashing SES was that my #6 wire was burnt onto the header lol. Replaced that wire and now all is well!
same thing here but it was my #3 wire. check your o2's if they are fucked it could be changing your fuel imput causing the car to missfire mine used to do that till i had it tuned
Old 01-11-2008, 05:05 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Spink
Don't have it scanned, the only thing that will do is tell you what is wrong so you can fix it.
Yes please continue to throw random parts at the car.
Old 01-11-2008, 05:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by nddragon01
Um, okay, because that's the only code that could be represented by a flashing SES light?

Seriously, if you just did a plug+wire change, check to make sure one of your wires didn't shift and is now resting on one of your header pipes (had it happen once before)
naw what i mean is the there is a possibility that since there is a misfire and the mixture is not being ignited completly the gas can clog the cats! why else would the computer want you to turn the engine off immidiatly! thats how my cats got clogged! i just finelly removed my y pipe yesterday, there is some broken peices in my cat
Old 01-11-2008, 05:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

unplug the 02s...drive around and if it doesnt do it its your o2s.... do one at a time... then to determine if its one .... if it still does it ... unplug both ... this happend to me it was my driver side!
Old 01-12-2008, 04:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ae13291
naw what i mean is the there is a possibility that since there is a misfire and the mixture is not being ignited completly the gas can clog the cats! why else would the computer want you to turn the engine off immidiatly! thats how my cats got clogged! i just finelly removed my y pipe yesterday, there is some broken peices in my cat
I'm not saying that you're wrong. A blinking SES light may very well be because your cat's are clogged. What I am saying is that since they never had the computer scanned, it could be any number of problems, not just that the cat's are clogged. Like, say for instance, how when my SES light was blinking, it was because a plug wire was shorted out from being burned through on a header. My cat's were fine, but my SES light was still flashing, and the car ran like ****. I'm not saying that a clogged cat ISN'T the problem, but without having the computer scanned to find out the actual problem, you can't assume it IS the problem...
Old 01-12-2008, 04:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by keliente
Yes please continue to throw random parts at the car.
Ha ha.

On a serious note, may I ask why you (the original poster) didn't just bring the car to Autozone and have them scan it for free to find out what SES code is actually being thrown at you? Why the EFF would you (original poster again) rather just start buying parts and taking time to diagnose it yourself????
Old 01-12-2008, 04:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

sounds like scanning it is the easiest way to determine why the lights blinking in the first place...kinda why its there! anyways id do that first and go from there...simple as that
Old 01-12-2008, 05:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

You can buy a code reader for about the price of 2 tanks of gas, or less. Doesn't have to be a fancy one. I consider it an essential tool to have. Ever since I took one of my cars to the shop for a SES light only to find out the gas cap was loose. A code reader won't always tell you the exact problem, but it will point you in the right direction. And there is an OBD II data port on every car since the early nineties. OBD=On Board Diagnostics. The port is right under the dash, above your right leg, on the drivers side.
Old 01-12-2008, 06:27 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ghardester
You can buy a code reader for about the price of 2 tanks of gas, or less.
2 tanks of gas isnt all that cheap these days!...lol

X2 it is a good idea to have a code reader