General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

True Dual!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 02:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default True Dual!

Ok, I already have the Magnaflow catbac system. I have a friend that is gonna give me another magnaflow muffler. What would I have to do to make my 02 WS6 a true dual. And what are usually the gains. Better Performance, better sound, ...? Thanks!
Old 01-17-2008, 02:36 PM
TECH Resident

better sound yes in my opinion. performance not really, unless you are making alot of power. with your application I doubt you will pick up a noticable amount of power, but it sounds mean as hell with duals. you will have some issuses using your current mufflers becuase they are huge and since it is run on a catback it should be a single in dual out muffler right? You need single in single out to properly due the duals.
Old 01-17-2008, 02:37 PM
Banned

Spend lots & lots of moola for a heavier vehicle that drags all the time & for an exhaust system that hangs so low you can see it from the side & picks up maybe 2 or 3 Hp . But heh,It will probably sound a LITTLE better .
Just my 2 cents . If its just the sound that you want put a nice camshaft in it .
Old 01-17-2008, 02:38 PM
TECH Resident

My duals actually gave me more clearance than my y pipe and catback did, but I have WAY smaller mufflers now than what you would be running.
Old 01-19-2008, 02:56 AM
Launching!

I also have more ground clearance with over the axle duals than I had with that stupid "Y" pipe. A dyno tast showed that I picked up 15 horse poweer when I went from the Y pipe system to the dual exhaust system.
Old 01-19-2008, 05:06 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by JEB Garner
I also have more ground clearance with over the axle duals than I had with that stupid "Y" pipe. A dyno tast showed that I picked up 15 horse poweer when I went from the Y pipe system to the dual exhaust system.
Where did you get your over-the-axle duals done at?
Old 01-19-2008, 10:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

click header install link...did them in there
Old 01-19-2008, 03:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Read the sticky's in the exhaust section. Got tons of useful info in there. Should help you with all your questions and problems. Good luck with your decision.
Old 01-20-2008, 04:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did true duals over the axle and have had no issues with clearance EXCEPT for me being a cheap *** and using magnaflow 3 inch cats. That's a bit low on the driver's side that requires a bit more finesse to clear the speedbumps (shocks would solve that problem or getting a smaller cat).

As for performance, a good y-pipe design can net you the same power but nowhere near the sound of a true dual setup. Another thing to note is that true duals are very effective. Mine are 2.5 inch, not equal length, using cats and 3 inch mufflers for each side. (3 inch hi flow type muffler will flow = to a 2.5 straightpipe)

Despite those restrictions/conditions, adding headers and true duals netted me a 43HP gain over stock. I went from 306->349HP. Before the tune it was 344HP with the stock 98 tune. It could quite easily be a 50HP+ gain in total if I didn't use cats and kept the bullets on the car. QTP advertises 40HP gain on their website... not too often you find any performance parts giving "marketing" numbers...