General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Orange foam floating in oil?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 04:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Orange foam floating in oil?

My car started knocking when I would first turn it on in cold weather, the knocking would slowly fade away. Usually the knocking would stop after a good oil change, but this time when I drained my oil I checked it for fluid or any other liquid because I was told if there are signs of a milky white looking liquid sinking in the oil its a major issue...after letting it sit, there was a thin layer of orange foam floating on top of the oil...Im not sure if this would be related to the knocking or not...is it possible there is a leak of radiator fluid into the oil or engine somehow? Anyone have any issues with this?

So far, the car seems fine, doesnt have any problems. I have been using Lucas oil additives to stop the knocking, which is basically a better sticky lubricant for the knockers etc which so far has worked perfectly, car seems happy. I am just wondering if anyone has ever seen orange foam floating in their oil before?
Old 01-22-2008, 05:32 PM
12 Second Club

I usually see that crap in dodges. Might want to get your coolant system pressure tested to see if you have an internal leak. Or an external leak for that matter, but that wouldnt end up in your oil.

Also, what did you drain your oil into? was it a clean container? If not some shmeggle from the bottom of the container could have floated to the top.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:42 PM
Teching In

ya im pretty sure the pressure is fine, doesnt appear to be leaking anywhere. I had to replace the hoses a while back and ever since then its been fine. If I run a pressure test on the cap of the radiator, will that also test for interior leaks? My fear is, if there IS an interior leak, and I do a pressure test, the pressure may cause the leak to become larger because of the force from the test...Now that I think about it...you mentioned what I poored the oil into...I wonder if the funnel I used had something in it from a previous use...ha...that would be funny....id feel pretty dumb....
Old 01-22-2008, 06:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I had some crap on the rubber oil fill neck from something, similar to what you described. Wiped it off and it never came back. Not sure what it was but the car runs normally.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:47 PM
Teching In

yea i have that too...its like some kind of yellowy gunk, its not alot but just kinda wierd....must not be a big deal, ill try wiping it off like you said and see if it comes back...car runs fine too, strange things haha....gotta love em....
Old 01-23-2008, 02:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

i also have it.. not too worried
Old 01-23-2008, 02:53 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its from condensation, don't worry about it.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:16 PM
TECH Regular

Thought I would clarify something in the hopes of edjimacationing.

For the record, a cooling system pressure test will not do any more damage than what is already there. The pump/ pressure testing apparatus goes onto the radiator/cooling system just like the normal cap. You then pump the system up to the pressure rating of your cooling system cap. On our cars, IIRC, it is 15-16 psi.

When pressure testing, you never go above the system's rated pressure. There is no risk of making the leak worse above and beyond what driving the vehicle would do.

DO NOT start the vehicle up or drive it with the pressure tester installed. It is not designed to relieve pressure like the cap is...and could burst even a perfectly leak-free system.

Originally Posted by Camaro98
ya im pretty sure the pressure is fine, doesnt appear to be leaking anywhere. I had to replace the hoses a while back and ever since then its been fine. If I run a pressure test on the cap of the radiator, will that also test for interior leaks? My fear is, if there IS an interior leak, and I do a pressure test, the pressure may cause the leak to become larger because of the force from the test...Now that I think about it...you mentioned what I poored the oil into...I wonder if the funnel I used had something in it from a previous use...ha...that would be funny....id feel pretty dumb....
Old 01-23-2008, 11:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

yea if you's guys are talking about what im thinking of then its condensation. im thinking mine is just because its pretty cold out right now.

Quick Reply: Orange foam floating in oil?