General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

OMFG window motor install

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 01:20 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OMFG window motor install

Last night i changed out the passenger window motor. All i have to say is, that was a lot more difficult and frustrating than most people on here make it out to be. Shoebox's site was helpful but the pictures of where to cut the holes are horrible. i ended up cutting probably 10 holes untill i found the 3 rivets. Then my drill bits kept breaking. After i got the rivets out it took 20 minutes to finish. Took me 3 hours to get the rivets out.... If you have a window motor going out, have fun!!!!!

and for every one that is going to say "oh man that was so easy, you just suck",
Old 01-25-2008, 01:23 PM
On The Tree

Nah, say it aint so. I've done a few of them by now - you just need to get those holes drilled right and its not that bad.

You should really add relays for you motors - give them a longer life, better speed, and not have to worry about replacing them any more.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:23 PM
Launching!

My mistake when I did my driver side was not relubricating the track with grease and ended up ripping the rubber guide out of the metal plate at the rear of the window. I agree....more trouble than it seemed to be.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:28 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

It might be bad the first time, but once you've done one you shouldn't have any more trouble the next time. Don't worry, there will be a next time. . .

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 01-25-2008, 01:31 PM
TECH Regular

oh ****. i didnt relube anything. oh well the hard part wasnt putting it in or getting the panel off, that was easy. If the same motor goes out i could change it under an hour i suppose.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:33 PM
On The Tree

It took me a while to get it my first time, but I haven't spent more than 20 min on an install since figuring it out. You got the idea of how to do it now, hopefully you learned something that will help you next time.
Old 01-25-2008, 02:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scottso
Nah, say it aint so. I've done a few of them by now - you just need to get those holes drilled right and its not that bad.

You should really add relays for you motors - give them a longer life, better speed, and not have to worry about replacing them any more.
How so?
Old 01-25-2008, 02:19 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ROCNDAV
How so?
Not sure I get your question. How so.... to install the relays? or how do they improve motor longevity?
Old 01-25-2008, 02:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by scottso
Not sure I get your question. How so.... to install the relays? or how do they improve motor longevity?
Sorry, yes, how do they improve the longetivity.

I don't know the circuit, but I assume the door switches already control relays that switch the polarity of the motor(s) terminals, don't they?
Old 01-25-2008, 02:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

It really helps to have an extra set of hands. Also, Shoebox's guide was helpful. I went out and drilled close to where I thought the pictures resembled. I was dead on with 2 of the holes and slightly off to the right on one. It wasn't as bad as everyone makes it.
Old 01-25-2008, 02:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Whats the link to the shoebox guide?
Old 01-25-2008, 03:17 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

I don't know the circuit, but I assume the door switches already control relays that switch the polarity of the motor(s) terminals, don't they?
You use a relay and a separate 12volt source to provide full voltage to the motor. The factory wiring does not do that and it really contributes to slow windows and the motors going out

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 01-25-2008, 03:19 PM
On The Tree

No. The motors are powered direct through the window switches.

There has been real legnthy discussions on this at another board. The short story is...

It was propsed that the reason the motors constantly fail is from the ever increasing (with age) resistance of the wiring and switches in the power window circuit causing a high current draw.

The relays are wired in and wiring is run direct to the battery to power the windows - with the switches only being used to trip the relays.

I now own the second car that I have performed this mod on - and I can attest to it's undeniable success - as many others can. It woke up both of the tired motors on the 2000 SS I just bought.

There is even a company selling the parts needed to do (only the PS window) mod. It is purely a convenience, as the parts only require running about town a bit to collect.

I would highly recommend it to anyone tired of changing out window motors. The hassle isn't necessarily changing the motors, but this way you don't need to worry about them s-l-o-w-i-n-g down and driving you nuts before they fail.

This is a fix for what really seems to be a GM design shortcoming. Its not a workaround.
Old 01-25-2008, 04:49 PM
TECH Addict

Oh man that was so easy, you just suck.

, you're right the pictures aren't exact on where to drill the holes. It gives you a good idea, not his fault your drill sucked and you broke the bits
Old 01-25-2008, 05:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Whats funny is that I never had any problem with my Camaro window motors and I have a 94. I just bought two new ones to swap out anyway since the car will be down for door panel mods, perfect time to swap them out.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

i thought it was cake my first time, i did the motor mod and ripped out the thermal bs i did each side in like 45 min total
Old 01-25-2008, 10:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

It still isn't a breeze by any means, but imagine doing it without that guide...

Anyway, my experience was much better than yours with my first one, but it still took me awhile to finish. I think I'm the king of taking breaks. Also, I had no problems drilling, as I was rolling the titanium drill bits (no breaks here). As stated earlier, now that you've drilled the holes, and done away with the rivets (as you bolt in the new motor), the next replacement will be much easier. The first one always sucks.

Even though your experience was kinda rough, just think of the money you saved over taking it to a shop. That should help a little. Maybe?
Old 01-26-2008, 10:09 AM
Launching!

the pictures were pretty accurate I thought. I drilled right where the holes on the pictures were and I was pretty much right on with the rivets.
Old 01-26-2008, 12:31 PM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I was worried about having to deal with locating the rivets when it came to do both my Z28 and T/A. Luckily, when I popped the door panels off it seems that someone had already taken the rivets out and done a motor swap previously...
Old 01-26-2008, 12:54 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn, both my windows barely move if at all. Whats the link to t hat guide?

Quick Reply: OMFG window motor install