General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Wtf Is Wrong!?!?!? Idle Problem!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 05:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wtf Is Wrong!?!?!? Idle Problem!

ok...i searched, so before anyone says "try search", it's been done. however, i could not find what i wanted to know so i'm posting up!
the last couple of days my car started idling high when i would let off the throttle. if i let off the throttle from 40mph the car speed would drop to 35mph and the rpms will stay at 1000 and it will just cruise at that speed and will not decelerate unless it's going uphill. it is really pissing me off! so if anyone has any ideas i would appreciate it.

by the way...car is a 99 A4 Z28, no mods except air lid and k&n. thanks!
Old 05-25-2008, 06:16 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

MAF could be dirty, especially with the K&N filter. Buy a $5 can of MAF cleaner, take off the MAF, spray the crap out of it (and the screen), let dry for 30 minutes and reassemble. See if the problem persists. While the MAF is off spray the TB blade with the MAF cleaner too.
Old 05-25-2008, 06:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Old 05-25-2008, 06:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Viper
MAF could be dirty, especially with the K&N filter. Buy a $5 can of MAF cleaner, take off the MAF, spray the crap out of it (and the screen), let dry for 30 minutes and reassemble. See if the problem persists. While the MAF is off spray the TB blade with the MAF cleaner too.
will throttle body cleaner work or does it need to be MAF cleaner? cuz i tried cleaning the throttle body out with stp throttle body cleaner. thanks for your reply.
Old 05-25-2008, 06:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

I agree with the above...clean MAF with CRC MAF cleaner. You can use TB cleaner but they make a MAF cleaner that doesnt leave a residue. I have used brake clean with good luck before the MAF cleaner was on shelves. You might also look into a possible IAC problem if cleaning the TB and MAF dont fix it.
Old 05-25-2008, 07:08 PM
Banned

Might have a vacuum leak, hose off, etc.
The pcv rubber fittings seem to rot out quick, and there is a big one right in the back of the engine where it Y's off to each valve cover.
I'm assuming you've checked to make sure the throttle blade is closed?
Old 05-27-2008, 03:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

well it ended up being a vacuum hose that was ripped. easy fix thanks to a tech at toyota (where i work)
Old 05-27-2008, 03:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

also thanks to all that posted up advice!
Old 05-28-2008, 11:37 AM
On The Tree

This actually has been talked about quite a bit in previous posts. Search would certainly help as it the multiple problems that would cause it have been discussed.

Without rehasing my whole story.

My car has done this on more than a few occasions. I have done damn near everything to fix it but nothing has worked.

The ONLY thing that has worked...it just to let it go...after a week my problem dissappears and wont come back for another year or two...

I chalk it up to the same reasons why my power windows, and DRLS/Turn signals, and door panels suck ***. It is a poorly designed car. =)
Old 05-28-2008, 06:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

^^^ wow, that is a way to be lazy. the car was not like that when it was new, therefore that means it can be fixed "like new" once again.

like i said, mine was a small 2in vacuum hose that was dry rotted and ripped that was easily fixed and replaced. if something is wrong with my car, i'm not just gonna let it go...i'm gonna fix it or get it fixed. i like to have a car that functions the way it's suppose to. hopefully you find your problem and get it fixed.