General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

airbag light blinking

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 02:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default airbag light blinking

I will be going to Texas in the morning.I am picking up a 93 Trans Am its my sisters car and she is giving it to me.I will be driving it to Pennsylvania on the 18th.She just told me today that the airbag light is blinking and I was wondering what could be causing this.I have some experience with cars but not a ton any help would be greatly appreciated.She offered to pay for the repair if it wasn't to costly.I would like to be able to save her some money if this is something I can fix myself. Thanks Paul
Old 06-09-2008, 02:58 PM
Teching In

She just recently replaced the battery and had a problem with the turn signals blinking slow or not at all she had the flasher replaced.I'm thinking maybe alternator or bad connection battery cable .The car only has 50,000 miles on it.
Old 06-09-2008, 03:08 PM
On The Tree

well my alternator jus went out and the battery got so low that the airbag and traction light came on (99 z28) and the turn signal was flashing really slow. once i replace the alternator it was perfect. i even got the old one tested at 2 different places and it tested good soooo.. try the old trick of having the car on and disconnecting the battery.. if it turns off. its the alternator.
Old 06-09-2008, 03:14 PM
Teching In

I have to remove the positive connection right?I will give it a try when I get there.Thanks for the reply.anyone else?
Old 06-09-2008, 09:59 PM
Teching In

Well I have been searching here and speedensity and it seems it could just be an airbag problem,broken clockspring,bad airbag module,loose connector or a blown fuse.I guess I'll just have to go through it piece by piece and figure it out.I'm just worried about it because I have to make a 1500 trip with it.

Thanks Paul
Old 06-09-2008, 10:09 PM
On The Tree

Just to be on the safe side (I say that, because if their is something wrong with it, I wouldn't want it going off in my face while I'm leaning forward or something) for the long trip, you could just take the airbag out. I know a lot of people are going to disagree, but I'll take my chances with no air bag over a possible faulty one bolwing up in my face. Btw, I have a grant so I don't even have an airbag anymore.
Old 06-11-2008, 12:41 PM
TECH Junkie

the lights will sometimes come on with a low or bad battery, but they should not blink. if there is a fault in the system the light should stay on constent, not blink. the only time it should blink is on startup.
Old 06-11-2008, 12:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by DJ's 02' Z28
Just to be on the safe side (I say that, because if their is something wrong with it, I wouldn't want it going off in my face while I'm leaning forward or something) for the long trip, you could just take the airbag out. I know a lot of people are going to disagree, but I'll take my chances with no air bag over a possible faulty one bolwing up in my face. Btw, I have a grant so I don't even have an airbag anymore.
also they wont blow up in your face if the lights on thats a big misconception. if the lights on its telling you that it wont work in case of an accident.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:20 PM
TECH Resident

Bump from the dead, I didnt want to make a new thread for the same thing...

My air bag will blink at start up and then just stay on solid after that? any ideas

Quick Reply: airbag light blinking