General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

passenger A pillar and dash separation?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 06:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default passenger A pillar and dash separation?

What would cause it?

Sorry for the cell phone pic, I don't usually have my real camera handy. It was that way when I bought the car. No frame damage, the car is perfectly straight (minor exterior dings aside), everything else seems to fit fine, the dash is tight, and the driver side is lined up perfectly. Really puzzles me, anyone seen this before and have any ideas of how to fix it? It hasn't bothered me too much, but recently all the little imperfections in the car have been driving me nuts and I finally am trying to get some of these things fixed.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Attached Thumbnails passenger A pillar and dash separation?-0619081957.jpg  
Old 06-24-2008, 01:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

I guess if no one has seen this before it is a good thing that it isn't common, but sure doesn't help when I'm looking to fix it
Old 06-24-2008, 04:01 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd take out the screws at the top of the A pillar molding and pull up and off the whole piece. Inspect it for any issues, then shove it back on. Good luck.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:17 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

having to much torque
Old 06-24-2008, 05:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

shrinkedge ???????
Old 06-24-2008, 08:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SuperSport
I'd take out the screws at the top of the A pillar molding and pull up and off the whole piece. Inspect it for any issues, then shove it back on. Good luck.
Good idea, I'll check that.

Originally Posted by ae13291
having to much torque
Highly doubt it since this is in a V6

Originally Posted by billyb
shrinkedge ???????
possibly, but what would cause it and only on one side?
Old 06-26-2008, 05:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

mine has that too! its a 99 t/a and I have noticed it for a long time, but just been too lazy to take it apart and figure it out. Let me know if you find out whats causing it.
Old 06-26-2008, 05:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
What would cause it?

Sorry for the cell phone pic, I don't usually have my real camera handy. It was that way when I bought the car. No frame damage, the car is perfectly straight (minor exterior dings aside), everything else seems to fit fine, the dash is tight, and the driver side is lined up perfectly. Really puzzles me, anyone seen this before and have any ideas of how to fix it? It hasn't bothered me too much, but recently all the little imperfections in the car have been driving me nuts and I finally am trying to get some of these things fixed.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Can you move the dash up by hand, (open the glove-box and lift up) is it loose, if you're not sure try the drivers side for comparison. IMO, It could be loose,missing, or possibly broken/cracked dash mount/ing hardware.
Has the heater core been replaced , or did it already have a aftermarket radio or alarm installed when you got it?

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 06-26-2008 at 05:53 PM.
Old 06-26-2008, 05:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

That's the first thing I did is push and pull on the dash, it was perfectly tight and won't budge anywhere.

I don't know if the heatercore was replaced, but the radio was stock I do know that. Someone had been in the car at one point doing something in there because on the driver side there are two screw holes in the panel under the steering column and one of the fat red wires was missing insulation from a previous splice (taped that sucker up), and on the passenger side the plastic piece that runs along the floor between the door and the seat had been removed at one point as there was a missing screw and another wire in a harness under the dash against the passenger side wall was nicked up some. What had been done to this thing, I don't know.
Old 06-26-2008, 05:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is no doubt in my mind that car had the airbags popped at some point in time.
Old 06-26-2008, 06:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
There is no doubt in my mind that car had the airbags popped at some point in time.
Suppose that's possible, previous guy did hit a deer at some point it looks like from looking at the busted driver fender, but it was mostly on the side, no real front impact at all. And considering the fender didn't get fixed, I am doubtful about the bags going off and getting replaced
Old 06-26-2008, 07:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Thumbs up

Did you take a close look at the A pillar molding ? Does it look like it's mounted correctly in comparison to the drivers side A pillar molding?

If that's not it try loosening all the dash mounts you can find on the passenger side, then see if you can pull / push it up into the correct position. If you can while it's where you want it, tighten it down!

Good luck, hope it helps!

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 06-26-2008 at 07:59 PM.