General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Antifreeze smell

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 09:07 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Antifreeze smell

I have a 99 z-28 and i keep getting the smell of antifreeze while i drive the car kind of hard. As soon as i stop i pop the hood and check everywhere i can and i see no leak. The only experience i have with this was when my dads old t-bird did the same, next thing we new blown head gasket. Any ideas or it is a likely hood of the head gasket?

Thanks in advanced
Old 07-26-2008, 09:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Mine developed the smell of antifreeze with a slight loss of coolant in the resevoir. Could not see any leaks until it was on a lift. The water pump was leaking. There was traces of fluid on the k member but none ever reached the ground.
Old 07-26-2008, 09:58 AM
TECH Resident

I know when my heater core went out on my 3rd gen, it smelled like antifreeze in my car, check inside your car bro. I had probably 3 cups that leaked out onto my passenger side floor before noticing it.
Old 07-27-2008, 02:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Get underneath the car and check the water pump seals. It's almost impossible to see that leaking from the top. I'd been smelling antifreeze for awhile and never could find a leak until I lifted my car at work to do an oil change and could see where it was running down the face of the block.

I still havn't put a new seal on yet, I've got a cam waiting to go in so I'll just fix it then
Old 07-27-2008, 05:53 PM
11 Second Club

I'd bet it's the water pump.
Old 07-28-2008, 03:02 PM
TECH Resident

i had a similar problem. knew it was leaking but couldnt tell where. so i got under the car and it was coming from the bottom of the water pump.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Until the waterpump REALLY starts leaking, it only drips while under pressure. When mine went it puked all over the parking lot. Still, I couldn't find the leak until I started it and it got pressurized again.

Or, it could simply be coming from the overflow. If you have to fill it up regularly it would likely indicate a waterpump.

But, since drips often travel far before you can see them, you may have to do a lot of poking and looking for a while until you find the source.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

My waterpump went out on my 98 Z28 right after I had the factory DEXCOOL flushed! I too had a smell of antifreeze but I didn't have any signs of a leak but then one day...bam; I had a puddle!
Old 08-03-2008, 07:16 PM
TECH Regular

Sorry guys been out of town the last week, and just pulled the car up today for some repair. It was the water pump. I couldnt get a leak while sitting idle, but when i drove it it would spit everywhere. Put a vaccum on the coolant system and bingo, the water pump had a split in the rear. All fixed now. Thanks guys.

Quick Reply: Antifreeze smell