General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Weird over heating problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 07:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Weird over heating problem

this is driving me insane. I installed a new radiator. Fill it up with water and it gets to 210 and stays there. Then 5-8 minutes later water comes boiling out of the over flow BUT the temp gauge still reads 210. Now2 weeks ago my temp gauge worked fine because I saw it go way up and thats why I replaced the radiator. I tried a new radiator cap and that didnt work. I think I got all the air out of it.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:55 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make sure the steam vent tube running to the radiator (right below the cap) is on the nipple below the over flow tube. Over flow goes on the top nipple, steam pipe to the bottom. Er, maybe its the other way around. Ill have to pop the hood and check. But look into that. Ive seen the exact thing happen from having these tubes crossed. The system will build pressure and overwhelm the overflow tank.

Might also want to run a pressure check on the cooling system and make double sure the waterpump isnt leaking or on its way out. If you run a pressure test and you get bubbles in the overflow, switch the tubes.

Hope this helps, Josh.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:12 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like you still have air in the system. are your fans working?
Old 08-13-2008, 05:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by BigZee71
Make sure the steam vent tube running to the radiator (right below the cap) is on the nipple below the over flow tube. Over flow goes on the top nipple, steam pipe to the bottom. Er, maybe its the other way around. Ill have to pop the hood and check. But look into that. Ive seen the exact thing happen from having these tubes crossed. The system will build pressure and overwhelm the overflow tank.

Might also want to run a pressure check on the cooling system and make double sure the waterpump isnt leaking or on its way out. If you run a pressure test and you get bubbles in the overflow, switch the tubes.

Hope this helps, Josh.
I just checked, my overflow is on the bottom nipple and my steam tube is on the top nipple The end of my steam tube is blocked off with a bolt in the end of it. Is this OK? I ran it like that before.

fans are working.

thanks
Old 08-13-2008, 10:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 30th t/a
this is driving me insane. I installed a new radiator. Fill it up with water and it gets to 210 and stays there. Then 5-8 minutes later water comes boiling out of the over flow BUT the temp gauge still reads 210. Now2 weeks ago my temp gauge worked fine because I saw it go way up and thats why I replaced the radiator. I tried a new radiator cap and that didnt work. I think I got all the air out of it.
The gauge is not accurate at all so long as the vehicle is at operating temp or slightly higher. You can be from 180-240ish and the darn thing will still be at 210. When it does grossly overheat though, that's when you actually see the gauge move (which is too late because the vehicle's been overheating for quite some time by that point).

How did you determine the radiator was bad in the first place?

I would try rebleeding via the crossover tube to see if there is any more air. Then take it from there...
Old 08-13-2008, 11:36 AM
TECH Junkie

my gauge always worked fine with the old rad. My old rad had some little leaks so i just bought a replacement rad. From what Im being told, I got the overflow hose and steam vent hose backwards. Ill see what happens tonight.
Old 08-13-2008, 01:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by keliente
The gauge is not accurate at all so long as the vehicle is at operating temp or slightly higher. You can be from 180-240ish and the darn thing will still be at 210. When it does grossly overheat though, that's when you actually see the gauge move (which is too late because the vehicle's been overheating for quite some time by that point).

How did you determine the radiator was bad in the first place?

I would try rebleeding via the crossover tube to see if there is any more air. Then take it from there...

I had an overheating problem as well and i didnt bleed the system right the first time. ....SO like he said bleed the system vis crossover tube and pour the coolant slowly until you have a steady flow of coolant coming out of the tube. That fixed my problem
Old 08-13-2008, 08:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Fixed the problem. BigZee71 wins...I had the overflow hose & the steam vent hose switched around wrong. Everything seems good now. Thanks everyone.