General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

uh, WHAT THE?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 08:09 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default uh, WHAT THE?

So hopefully this sounds as bizarre to everyone else has it does to me...

I just recently got my car back after having the transmission rebuilt, and was out driving casually. As I'm going down the street, I hear a VERY loud clunk, like something fell off the car, but it was dark out and I figured I just ran some debris over...well, no

Yesterday, casually driving yet again, same noise, and I swore I heard something fall off the car. Wait for traffic to die down, and head into the street. Low and behold, there is a decent size bolt laying in the road, so I crawl under the car to look around. Uh, short bolts missing on BOTH sides of the K-Member closest to the door, where the ABS sensor (or some other wires run).

By this time, I'm trying to limp it to my g/f's house in order to get it up on some ramps and take a look at the situation. A block away, YET ANOTHER clunk/falling noise! This time, lucky enough to find the bolt, is very long, and yet again sounded from the front of the car.

Finally on some ramps, the long bolt came out from where the K-Member connects to the A-arm, right by the shock up front....holy COW!

As anyone ever had a problem REMOTELY close to this? How could this have happened?
Old 08-23-2008, 08:44 AM
On The Tree

The shop you were at took the transmission out and put it back in? My guess is they lowered the K-member a few inches to get at the top bellhousing bolts better from underneath the car... Obviously didn't tighten them all back up... The K-member bolt are not known for just falling out by themselves!
Old 08-23-2008, 08:50 AM
TECH Resident

Exactly my thoughts, although, he SWORE he didn't touch any of that up there...

I knew something was up because after that first one fell out, there was a crunching noise over bumps/coming to complete stops...just glad I was able to find the bolt in the street and locate where it came from without any trouble.
Old 08-23-2008, 09:26 AM
TECH Resident

holy crap. i heard a similar sound on my car a while back while driving. i need to put it on a ramp and see if im missing any bolts.
Old 08-24-2008, 10:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

id go back to the trans shop and shove that bolt up his ***
Old 08-24-2008, 11:42 PM
TECH Veteran

There is NO NEED to touch the K member to get the tranny out of these cars. What the hell were they thinking?!!?!

I hope you get this worked out! Let us know.
Old 08-25-2008, 02:39 AM
Staging Lane

Seriously... I hope that bastards fixes it! He better not even think about charging your ***!
Old 08-25-2008, 12:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
There is NO NEED to touch the K member to get the tranny out of these cars. What the hell were they thinking?!!?!

I hope you get this worked out! Let us know.
QFT! The weight of the trans alone will drop the back of the engine to get to the top and upper side bolts of the bellhousing. All they had to do was use about 4 1/2 ft of extensions and a swivel.

Douches.
Old 08-25-2008, 02:13 PM
TECH Resident

well guys, i wish i knew what exactly was going on...like i said, he said he didn't touch it

there is just no other reason these bolts would have fallen out, scaring the **** out of me, etc. in the mean time, i took care of everything and the car is fine now
Old 08-25-2008, 03:36 PM
10 Second Club

Sounds to me like he forgot to put the dipstick in first and had to drop the k-member to get it in. Ask me how I know. While he was in the forgetful mood he also forgot to tighten the k-member bolts. It's a good thing you were observant enough to take note of the noise. I can't imagine how bad it would be to have the engine and front suspension falling out of the car at about 55.
Old 08-25-2008, 03:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

I too had a similar sound in the rear when i used to brake there was a clunk in the passenger rear side after they rebuilt my transmission. Diddn't think much of it and checked the rear but never found nothing, i figuered it was the brakes and after a few months it went away.
Old 08-26-2008, 05:58 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 5.3LJimmy
Sounds to me like he forgot to put the dipstick in first and had to drop the k-member to get it in. Ask me how I know. While he was in the forgetful mood he also forgot to tighten the k-member bolts. It's a good thing you were observant enough to take note of the noise. I can't imagine how bad it would be to have the engine and front suspension falling out of the car at about 55.
yeah, i was very lucky to take notice the SECOND time around

when i told my g/f what could have happened, she got sooo wide eyed and got very pissed off at the situation