General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

I have no idea where to start

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 07:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have no idea where to start

I just got a 2001 z-28 camaro a couple days ago and it has some problems. The ASR OFF light is on and the button doesnt do anything. My service engine soon light is on. My buttons on my steering wheel do not work. The front and rear driver side floorboards have water in them and I can't figure out what it is from. Also my airbag light is on and my steering wheel won't honk the horn but, the alarm will set the horn off.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:35 PM
Staging Lane

I don't know about the water in the floorboards...but I would suggest getting the codes scanned for the SES light, seems like a good place to start. Also, have you checked the fuses to see if any are blown?? Just a couple of quick suggestions.

Daniel
Old 08-27-2008, 08:36 PM
Launching!

Th water could be comming from the heatercore going bad.

Do a search on the wheel buttons.

Take it to a shop and get them to put a scanner on it. It will tell you why the SES
light is on and possible the airbag and ASR.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was planning on taking to a mechanic down here who works on a friend of mine's ss. He said that the water in the floorboard may be the heater core and he did mention he wanted to run it on a computer to check the lights. I was just wondering if maybe i could save a couple hundred dollars. I have no problem taking it to him though just a few hundred dollars is a few hundred dollars.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Have the codes read at Autozone,they do it for free,and write them down and let everyone know what they are and you will get lots of help here.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanx thats a good idea.
Old 08-27-2008, 11:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Sit inside while someone runs a water hose over the top of the car. See if the window seals are leaking. Don't know what the weather has been like where you are or if the car has been stored outside, but try to eliminate the simplest/cheapest to fix source of the problems before taking it to a shop. If your heater core is leaking then the car should steam up the windows and smell like antifreeze inside when the engine is on. Cause it should leak warm or hot engine water inside.
Old 08-28-2008, 06:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

check your interior fuses, fuse panel will be on the left side of the dash, you'll need to open the door to access them-an see if any of them are blown