General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Ohhh that damn window

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 01:00 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ohhh that damn window

So based on what I have read I *think my drivers side window motor is almost dead. It takes a few times to get it up from time to time but not all the time. Could it be the switch maybe? It's hit or miss.... Now question 2 I have a special offer on a great price for window tint and I want to get it done in the next few days before it expires if I have them tinted and then replace the motor is that a bad idea or will it matter? Might be a dumb question but I have never delt with this before and what can happen with the surgery. Thanks! Adam
Old 09-15-2008, 01:08 PM
Launching!

Sounds like your motor is toast. I tried doing the switch first, but I found I needed a new motor. Go ahead and get it tinted first (if it's a time sensitive deal). Replacing the motor involves supporting the window in the UP position from inside the door panel--a c clamp is a common way to do it. I say go for the tint.
Old 09-15-2008, 07:13 PM
TECH Regular

Cool! Thanks for the input! I would just hate to scratch the tint
Old 09-15-2008, 07:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

When you replace the motor, DON'T FOLLOW THE SERVICE MANUAL! Use shoebox's method, so much easier. I did it the hard way the first time, spent forever at it, ended up torquing the arms just a tad so the window doesn't operate totally smoothly anymore. My el cheapo motor stripped a gear inside so I replaced it again, this time with shoebox's instructions and it went so much more smoothly and much much faster.
Old 09-15-2008, 07:53 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by brandotron
Sounds like your motor is toast. I tried doing the switch first, but I found I needed a new motor. Go ahead and get it tinted first (if it's a time sensitive deal). Replacing the motor involves supporting the window in the UP position from inside the door panel--a c clamp is a common way to do it. I say go for the tint.
i change my window motors taking the window out
Old 09-15-2008, 07:55 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
When you replace the motor, DON'T FOLLOW THE SERVICE MANUAL! Use shoebox's method, so much easier. I did it the hard way the first time, spent forever at it, ended up torquing the arms just a tad so the window doesn't operate totally smoothly anymore. My el cheapo motor stripped a gear inside so I replaced it again, this time with shoebox's instructions and it went so much more smoothly and much much faster.
ive bought the 'el cheapos' before. stripped my gear out also. pissed me off because the motor was just changed about a year prior
Old 09-15-2008, 07:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Also consider getting Autozone window motors with a lifetime guarantee....(that sounded like a commercial but its not!) LOL!
Old 09-15-2008, 08:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by nemss1
ive bought the 'el cheapos' before. stripped my gear out also. pissed me off because the motor was just changed about a year prior
haha yes it was a year for me also. It wasn't the external gear that stripped on me, that one was metal and quite solid, but the internal gears stripped out.

I got 2 motors for $45 shipped off fleabay, what can I expect? Oh well, I dropped the second one in there, figure I'll get another year or so out of it, then when it breaks I'll either get a real motor or have replaced the car with another one - LSx powered this time! Though I still toy with the idea of making this one a project and converting it...
Old 09-15-2008, 08:18 PM
12 Second Club

haha yes it was a year for me also. It wasn't the external gear that stripped on me, that one was metal and quite solid, but the internal gears stripped out.

I got 2 motors for $45 shipped off fleabay, what can I expect? Oh well, I dropped the second one in there, figure I'll get another year or so out of it, then when it breaks I'll either get a real motor or have replaced the car with another one - LSx powered this time! Though I still toy with the idea of making this one a project and converting it...
yep, it was the internal gears that stripped on me also. my motors were the same price but i bought mine from autozone. i bought the cheapest because i thought they would be worth a damn. after this incident, i bought the most expensive and they are doing good so far (knock on wood)
Old 09-16-2008, 10:24 PM

I just put new autozone motors in my car. Following the method shown on this forum somewhere. It was alot easier than I expected.
Old 09-16-2008, 11:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

only problem is that damn fiberglass or whatever it is that gets everywhere on your skin.

ive replaced the motors on my past 4 f bodies. on my current one i did both sides in a total of 25 minutes the first two i took the motors apart and bypassed the circuit breaker. then i just got some cheap aftermarket ones. they work great.
Old 09-16-2008, 11:26 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by noriceinside
only problem is that damn fiberglass or whatever it is that gets everywhere on your skin.

ive replaced the motors on my past 4 f bodies. on my current one i did both sides in a total of 25 minutes the first two i took the motors apart and bypassed the circuit breaker. then i just got some cheap aftermarket ones. they work great.
yep, same here. change both of em in 30 min or less. the first time took hours
Old 09-25-2008, 09:44 AM
TECH Regular

Will do... Thanks! Do you have a quick link to this? I have the car for sale and now the window does this gotta love life I want to fix it before I sell it so someone else does not have to mess with it.

Originally Posted by chaman
Also consider getting Autozone window motors with a lifetime guarantee....(that sounded like a commercial but its not!) LOL!
So Autozone is good then? What about Advance? Advance is 2 min away Autozone is a long hall for me.
Old 09-25-2008, 05:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yep here you go. It is in the general maintenance sticky btw
http://shbox.com/page/windowmotor.html
Old 09-29-2008, 03:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by badmfkr
I'm doing the window motor swap.

was able to drill though and get head off of only one GM rivot (upper right on pass. side)

I was able to drill all the way though the remaining rivots however can't seam the pop off the rivot head.

any tips ?

Thanks
Use a bigger drill bit. The drill bit needs to be about the size of the rivet head, not the hard metal part in the middle. Also, if you use a bit that's too small, the rivet will spin in the hole. It should take no more than 30 seconds to drill out a rivet.

The other tip I would add to the pictorial write-up is that the door panel is not made by Ford. There are no spring clips holding the panel to the door. If you try to pry the panel off, you will bust off pieces of plastic. Don't ask me how I know. Lift up, and out.

Also, don't be afraid of drilling holes in the panel to get to the rivets. It's either fiberglass or ABS or something, but it is easy to drill through.