General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Weird coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 02:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Weird coolant leak

Ok, i have an 02 T/A... for a while now i have a small wet spot on the drivers side of the front of the oil pan where it meets the timing case and the one bolt that holds the alternator.. i put dye in the coolant and washed it off and a week later, its dexcool and dye out in the open again.. the level is barely going anywhere over a period of time. the water pump itself and gasket areas appear dry...
Is there any coolant seals or passages that go through or in the timing area under the case???? i want to fix it right the first time and not spend a lot of time and money, it is my DD and only car and i put 200 miles a week for work...
Old 09-18-2008, 02:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had leak a lot like that on my Firehawk when I bought it. It wasnt enough to really be a problem, but was more than enough bother the hell out of me. The only difference was mine would get wet on the drivers side of the hood (like you had taken a squirt bottle and sprayed a half squirt across the hood about 5in or 6in long.) It would be enough to show up after several days of driving (my Hawk is white and the antifreeze was pink...so even just a little showed up well.) It never did leak enough to really lower the coolant level enough to notice.

Anyway I looked it over for hours trying to figure out where it came from and the only thing I could come up with is the waterpump was leaking from the neck inside the pulley...and the pulley was flinging the mist in spray under the hood. Luckily I had a extra low mile LS1 water pump in off my SOM WS6 (I had one chromed and swapped it out) so I figured what the hell...the most I would have in it is about an hour and $10 worth of gaskets. So I changed water pumps and that fixed it.

I bet yours is leaking in the same place...maybe just a little worse so its getting it wet down lower like that. Take a flash light and try to see the back side of the waterpump pulley and see if it looks wet.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

ill check there, but there isnt any freeze plugs or anything like that in the timing case is there???
also anyone know where i can get a front view of the motor or exploded diagram??? cant find one
Old 09-20-2008, 05:44 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i smell coolant in mine all the time but i have a new heater core man i hate my car sometimes
Old 09-20-2008, 01:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DYING BREED
ill check there, but there isnt any freeze plugs or anything like that in the timing case is there???
also anyone know where i can get a front view of the motor or exploded diagram??? cant find one
i think there might be a freeze plug. or u can check the line that goes through the throttle body, check that area and those metal lines
Old 09-21-2008, 01:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

yeah, it doesnt look like its there, but im going to take off the alt thurs or fri and get more room to look and i have dye in it hopefully i can find the leak.... I PRAY its not like some other GM motors and the block itself is porous and is coming out thru the block
Old 09-21-2008, 01:28 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have a stock intake? There are cross-over tube junction points at the front of each cylinder. I do belive that there is a single freeze plug at the front of each head also. That would be a pretty simple fix, compared to other things!
Old 09-25-2008, 04:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

checked out the problem, moved the alternator and bracket, and found nothing.... still just wet in the corner of the timing case on drivers side by the oil pan where it meets the timing case... but my level only needs topping off maybe in a months time... im stumped...
Old 03-13-2009, 08:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

bringing the old thread to life, still had the wet spot, decided to break down and change the water pump, and it disappeared, the pump looked dry, except for where it meet the engine on the drivers side of the motor, but was barely wet, just some info for ppl searching for answers
Old 03-14-2009, 11:54 AM
TECH Addict

Glad you found it, good job!
Old 03-14-2009, 12:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One of lifes mysteries I guess.
Old 03-14-2009, 01:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

DaddySS, see ur from bergen Co.. most of my family lives there, i was born in hackensack, and lived in Union City till i moved to Fl in 87... nice ride BTW