General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

fuel gauge stuck on full

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 10:21 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel gauge stuck on full

sry guys the search function isn't working.

The gas gause is stuck on full, on an 01 ss, what do i do?
Old 10-07-2008, 11:05 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is probably a level sensor. The quick check would be to get under the back of the car and unplug the wires going to the fuel tank at the body connector. Should have 2 purple wires and a red and black wire. Turn key on guage should read either empty or full.(I can't remeber which) then jumper the 2 purple wires on the bady side and the gauge should read opposite of that. If this is the case then it is a level sensor. hope this helps
Old 10-11-2008, 11:25 AM
On The Tree

dschmittie1 is probably right, but here is my experience with the gas gauge.

I always had issues with my gas gauge reading wrong since I bought the car. I would just reset the trip every fill up and go by that. I figured out that it would try to read right if I was just cruising but I was always getting on it which made the gauge go back over full. After doing some WOT runs, the gauge would never go back to where it was before the run.

Now that I work locally and don't drive across town anymore (no highway "spurts") and I don't really have a chance to get on it anymore going to work, my gauge reads right. Between that and this 10% ethanol gas we have now, it seems to be working ok. I think the ethanol possible "cleaned" the level sensor or something. I do try to fill up with 100% gas when I have a choice now though because we have a couple of stations around here that haven't converted yet.

A week ago or so, my friend was with me and I went WOT 1st and 2nd just to let him feel some power. Gauge still works fine.

If your issue is like mine, worst case is to take a mpg hit and fill up with 10% ethanol a few times and do a mix of easy and "fun" driving. It might work for you like it did me.
Old 10-11-2008, 06:56 PM
TECH Resident

Sweet now you'll never have to fill up! Sorry couldn't resist!
Old 10-11-2008, 07:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

^ that would be nice, except on drag days since it would be added weight
Old 10-12-2008, 02:12 AM
Deranged Rat Fink

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When the fuel sender ( in tank ) goes out , it reads full all the time. You got one hell of a job ahead of you to fix it....
Old 10-12-2008, 12:40 PM
Staging Lane

when i did my fuel pump on the camaro i just cut out an access panel from above. saves having to drop the tank and what not
Old 10-13-2008, 01:10 AM
Staging Lane

before you drop the tank and go through all that make sure you have a good ground. i had almost the same problem but my gauge wouldnt let me fill above 3/4 tank, or so i thought... immediaelly i condemed the level sending unit to find all it was was a bad ground connection. might also want to check the actual gauge behind the dash first. hey id rather work behind a clean dash than under a dirty car anyday..
Old 10-13-2008, 05:38 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by W.hiteS.6
before you drop the tank and go through all that make sure you have a good ground. i had almost the same problem but my gauge wouldnt let me fill above 3/4 tank, or so i thought... immediaelly i condemed the level sending unit to find all it was was a bad ground connection. might also want to check the actual gauge behind the dash first. hey id rather work behind a clean dash than under a dirty car anyday..

That is why I said to test it the was I did. Tells you if the gauge and all the wiring are ok. just eliminates the level sensor itself.

Quick Reply: fuel gauge stuck on full