Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Plugs & wires question.

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 09:57 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plugs & wires question.

I'm getting ready to change my original plugs and wires. Stock motor, long tube headers, GMMG exhaust w/o cats. Car has 46,500 miles on it. Guess it just looked like such a pain I'm just now going to tackle it. The car has never run bad. Just think it's time to change everything. Tips on the right rear plug would be cool also.
Old 10-11-2008, 11:40 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by dbeach2001
I'm getting ready to change my original plugs and wires. Stock motor, long tube headers, GMMG exhaust w/o cats. Car has 46,500 miles on it. Guess it just looked like such a pain I'm just now going to tackle it. The car has never run bad. Just think it's time to change everything. Tips on the right rear plug would be cool also.
If you mean the passenger side rear plug (and I'm pretty sure you do, cuz that one's a pain) I go at it from under the car behind the wheel every time now. If you have rhino ramps it makes it easy or you can jack it up. I haven't had long tubes in years (smog ***** in Cali made me take them off) but I think you might still have a clear shot, well... maybe not clear but more clear than trying to go at it from the top. I pop the wire off of and on to the coil from under there as well. People say that sounds like a pain, but I don't think it would be possible for me to do it any other way.
Old 10-11-2008, 12:13 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I always get #8 from the top. Remove the coil packs and it's easier.
Old 10-11-2008, 02:02 PM
Teching In

I went from the top. Removed the coil packs. I used Taylor wires and Bosch platinum fusion plugs. They were out of the Demco's. I hope I made a good choice. Now it's time to throw down a few!
Old 10-11-2008, 02:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea, you prolly deserve a day off after that.
Old 10-11-2008, 05:35 PM
On The Tree

I struggled for way too long on plug #8. Couldn't quite get at it from the top or bottom.
Finally I unbolted and moved the cyl #6 coil up (mines a 98 so they come off individually) and I had so much more room and got it done, kneeling on the battery. Of course unbolt the AIR tubes and move them out of the way.
Old 10-11-2008, 08:27 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dbeach2001
I went from the top. Removed the coil packs. I used Taylor wires and Bosch platinum fusion plugs. They were out of the Demco's. I hope I made a good choice. Now it's time to throw down a few!
Unfortunately no the Taylor wire isnt a good choice. Just be careful when you change plugs or pull a wire off. The electrode breaks off on them very easily.