Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

true duals, took out my bullets and installed ultraflos

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2003, 12:51 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default true duals, took out my bullets and installed ultraflos

Yesterday I cut the dynomax bullet mufflers out of my true dual setup with x pipe and turndowns before the axle and installed two dynomax ultraflo mufflers instead. Man, what a huge difference that made.

I was kind of worried that the ultraflo would not make much difference over the bullet, as they are both straight through design, I'm not kidding it reduced the noise at WOT by 75%. The wierd thing is that at idle it is still pretty damn loud. It's like at idle it didn't make too big of a difference but at WOT there is a huge sound reduction over the bullets. Ground clearance was reduced a lot compared to the bullets. You could argue that there really isnt room for anything other than bullets in front of the axle, depending on how picky you are about ground clearance, but I'll make 'em fit anyway.

I'll say that it has got to be one of the best sounding LS1 cars I've ever heard now. With the bullets, it was a little bit on the obnoxious side, now it's just nice, smooth v8 sound. The best thing of all is that with the bullets it used to vibrate the car really bad inside. The door locks inside and the center console would rattle really bad all the time from the noise, That problem completely went away with the new mufflers.

I had originally considered using dynomax super turbos, but I was afraid that they would be too restrictive. Dynomax says the ultraflo flows over 1200 cfm and the super turbo will flo 300-400 cfm depending on which one you order. After seeing that I changed my mind on the super turbos.

I can try and get some pics up if anyone is interested.

Jordan
Old 09-12-2003, 01:00 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: true duals, took out my bullets and installed ultraflos

Interesting info.
How much clearance is left? Do you scrape going over speed bumps?
Old 09-12-2003, 01:06 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I'd like to see pics.

How much where the mufflers?

I currently run the Moroso Spiral Flows. Anyone know how the spiral flows compare to the dynomax ultraflos?
Old 09-12-2003, 01:11 PM
10 Second Club

When you look under the car, the mufflers are really low to the ground. I have the turndowns angled straight down toward the ground right out of the mufflers, so the turndowns are actually the lowest. I may be able to pick up an extra 1/2 inch of ground clearance by removing the turndowns or turning them all the way to the side so the muffler is the lowest point instead of the turndown. I'd say total ground clearance is probably 3 inches. I'm not gonna lie to you, there isn't a lot of room under there. Big speed bumps are going to be a problem more than likely. I've probably put 60 miles on the car so far and it's only hit one time on some bumpy train tracks that I went over too fast.
Old 09-12-2003, 01:16 PM
10 Second Club

140 for the mufflers from ramchargers near my house. You can find a much better price than that, but I bought them there because they had them in stock. I don't know much about the spiral flow mufflers. I would guess they don't reduce the sound quite as much as ultra flos.
Old 09-12-2003, 01:41 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

do you have pics of the ultra's or can you describe the muffer?

The sprial flow has about a 1" tube that goes straight through, then the outisde is spiral baffled. There are maybe 5 baffles that way. I had them on my long tubes and it definately quieted it down quite a bit vs open headers.
Old 09-12-2003, 01:50 PM
10 Second Club

Bullets will quiet it down a lot compared to open headers, but it was just too loud still.
Old 09-12-2003, 01:58 PM
10 Second Club

This is the super turbo design. There are sever problems with them. First, they are 1/3 the flow according to dynomax. The other problem with them is that they are 1 inch thicker, meaning you will lose another inch of ground clearance over the ultraflo. The bullets I had are 4 inch diameter, ultraflo are 4.5 inch thick and super turbo are 5.5 inch thick. They do make 3 inch in/out super turbos that are 4.5 inch thick, but the internal twisty pipe is only 2.5 inch diameter even though the inlet/outlet is 3 inch dia. That version is the same thickness as a ultraflo, but the 2.5 inch internal pipe costs it another 100 cfm of flow over the 5.5 inch super turbo. So it only flows 1/4 as much exhaust as the ultraflo. That's why I ended up saying to hell with those and used the ultraflos.

Another think that's nice about the ultraflo is that they are fully welded. The super turbo is crimped together like the crappy stock muffler I'm pretty sure.

Jordan
Old 09-12-2003, 02:12 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Excellent writeup. So the ultraflo is still straight through. I think it will be similar loudness to the sprial flows I have now.

The nice thing about the sprial flows is that you can tuck them up into the driveshaft/torque arm tunnel for a little extra clearance unlike the flat style mufflers.

Post some sound clips when you get a chance, i'd love to hear them!
Old 09-12-2003, 02:17 PM
10 Second Club

I will try and get MyLS1Hauls to post some pics of the exhaust and some sound clips.

Your right on about tunnel thing. Not being able to put them partway in the tunnel is why I lost so much ground clearance over the bullets.

What diameter are the spiral flow mufflers? There are a little bit bigger around than the 4 inch bullet arent they?
Old 09-13-2003, 01:33 AM
TECH Resident

Im running Borla XR1s, VERY happy and think its 10 times better than the bullets, I had those on for 3 days before having them cut off... Nice and quiet around town but still intimidating at WOT... and you can still hear the cam just fine!
Old 09-13-2003, 04:55 AM
TECH Junkie

nice setup, I went with some spintechs on my dual setup which also helped to keep it a little quieter, I get compliments all the time with these, Its pretty cool.
Old 09-13-2003, 12:25 PM
10 Second Club

I've already had 3 people compliment me on the sound on my car since I put the ultraflos and they have only been on there for 1 day. Some girl riding in a truck was trying to flash me last night when I was driving around.

I guess she likes LS1s.

BTW, I've been working on my this morning and got underneath it real quick with a tape measure and I have exactly 3 inches of ground clearance at the lowest point on flat ground.

Quick Reply: true duals, took out my bullets and installed ultraflos