Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FAST 78mm or LS6

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 07:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default FAST 78mm or LS6

I'm lookin at buyin a new intake and was wondering the differences in the two. Also, would it be worth the money for the FAST overthe LS6. TIA
Old 10-11-2008, 07:31 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

With your current mods any aftermarket intake is going to be a waste of money. Get your motor breathing right first with a set of longtubes, get an ASP underdrive pulley, good lid, ported throttle body (I do them for $55 btw , and then at that point it'd be a good idea to upgrade to the LS6 intake.

FAST intakes are more practical after you have internal mod work done.
Old 10-11-2008, 07:37 PM
On The Tree

gefinite fast if u put a big cam in...i would do the fast 90 then...i got 42 rwhp from my ported fast 90 90 setup cause i got ms4
Old 10-11-2008, 08:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Damian
With your current mods any aftermarket intake is going to be a waste of money. Get your motor breathing right first with a set of longtubes, get an ASP underdrive pulley, good lid, ported throttle body (I do them for $55 btw , and then at that point it'd be a good idea to upgrade to the LS6 intake.

FAST intakes are more practical after you have internal mod work done.
full exhaust is in the works right now. Just trying to set myself up ahead of time with a plan. An ASP UDP is one of the next things as well. as for the ported TB, I don't think shipping it from Hawaii would make it practical right now.
Old 10-11-2008, 08:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1bigcamdls6
gefinite fast if u put a big cam in...i would do the fast 90 then...i got 42 rwhp from my ported fast 90 90 setup cause i got ms4
A 90/90 won't be for awhile, if at all until i get back to the mainland. We don't have any tuners out here that are worth a ****, so no cam for me unless I can find someone to email me tunes.
Old 10-11-2008, 08:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

78mm would be waste of money.. do the ls6....

but if i were you id save up and get a ported 90/90.... i picked up 35rwhp.... ms4 cam.
Old 10-11-2008, 08:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lemons12
78mm would be waste of money.. do the ls6....

but if i were you id save up and get a ported 90/90.... i picked up 35rwhp.... ms4 cam.
I have read people say the 78mm is a waste, but not any reason why. as well, read my above post as to why the 90/90 is not really and option at the moment. I would love one, but it would be waste for me to do it until I get the cam.
Old 10-11-2008, 08:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by lookin4aTA
I have read people say the 78mm is a waste, but not any reason why. as well, read my above post as to why the 90/90 is not really and option at the moment. I would love one, but it would be waste for me to do it until I get the cam.
the reason it is a waste is becaus its not really that much better than an ls6 and its like 300 or so more bucks....

i would just go ahead and buy it and put it on when you can.. no reason to buy an ls6 if you plan on modding more later... if you have plans now, buy for those plans... just saying.. if you have to have more power now... and dont want to spend alot... nitrous
Old 10-11-2008, 08:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the reason it is a waste is becaus its not really that much better than an ls6 and its like 300 or so more bucks....

i would just go ahead and buy it and put it on when you can.. no reason to buy an ls6 if you plan on modding more later... if you have plans now, buy for those plans... just saying.. if you have to have more power now... and dont want to spend alot... nitrous
Ok, that is reason enough for me. as far as nitrous goes, It is $10+ a lb out here, plus I am not comfortable not haveing a tune for it. gonna stick with bolton unless the guys from vengeance come back out here.
Old 10-11-2008, 08:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you want to get a FAST intake in the future leave your intake and throttle body stock for now.

If a LS6 intake is good enough then do that with a stock ported throttle body. Its best to do one and not both. It will cost you more in the end.
Old 10-11-2008, 09:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

if i were you, id finish exhaust, beef up the clutch.. hell maybe buy some rims/tires.. pretty or drag.... and there is ALWAYS! suspension you could start on.. that doesnt need tuning..

or if nothing else just start buying parts for a cam swap.. intake, heads, cam, and all the little **** that adds up.. head bolts, gaskets, lifters, springs, timing chain, fuel pump.... goes on an on man..
Old 10-11-2008, 10:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Exhaust is first and for most right now. I'm on a 12 month plan right now and this is one of the major pieces to it. Intake will probably be after that, but I have been having problems with my 3-4 shifts the last few days, so I need to get the tranny figured out as well. If that isn't something serious that is a "cheap" fix, then an LS6 will be my next mod, and then suspension afterwards. We don't have a track out here, so wheels tires are really a big concern to me right now.
Old 10-11-2008, 11:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Exhaust is first and for most right now. I'm on a 12 month plan right now and this is one of the major pieces to it. Intake will probably be after that, but I have been having problems with my 3-4 shifts the last few days, so I need to get the tranny figured out as well. If that isn't something serious that is a "cheap" fix, then an LS6 will be my next mod, and then suspension afterwards. We don't have a track out here, so wheels tires are really a big concern to me right now.
syncros are going probably.. does it pop out of gear.. does it not let you shift into 3 and 4 gear under high rpms loads
Old 10-12-2008, 12:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

syncros are going probably.. does it pop out of gear.. does it not let you shift into 3 and 4 gear under high rpms loads
Yes, it doesn't let me shift at high RPM loads. I've been suspecting synchros, but haven't been sure though. Wasn't sure if it might be that or maybe a shift fork.
Old 10-12-2008, 12:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yes, it doesn't let me shift at high RPM loads. I've been suspecting synchros, but haven't been sure though. Wasn't sure if it might be that or maybe a shift fork.
syncros... might as well go to a built tranny....
Old 10-12-2008, 02:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

syncros... might as well go to a built tranny....
That is in the plan......and it is looking like sooner than later these days. once again though, somce down to finding someone who I can ship it to cheap cause I don't trust anyone on the islands.
Old 10-12-2008, 03:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

That is in the plan......and it is looking like sooner than later these days. once again though, somce down to finding someone who I can ship it to cheap cause I don't trust anyone on the islands.
i might be able to hook you up with rebuilding that one.. will get you buy, or you can sell it after you fix it.....

*it would be cheap... real cheap.. just let me know
Old 10-12-2008, 01:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

PM me the info and I'll let ya know.
Old 10-12-2008, 01:25 PM
Launching!

Theres just something not right about hearing "fix T-56" and "cheap" in the same sentence. Esp. if a $500 ebay FAST is pushin it. No offense, just observin. Shipping has to be killer to the islands.
Old 10-12-2008, 01:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SSickLS1
Theres just something not right about hearing "fix T-56" and "cheap" in the same sentence. Esp. if a $500 ebay FAST is pushin it. No offense, just observin. Shipping has to be killer to the islands.
"who I can ship it to cheap" Here is the part you should re-read. I am not goinjg to skimp on cost for the tranny itself, but I would really like to find someone who can ship it cheap. And yes, shipping cost are redicu;ous out here. when I ordered my lid and 160 t-stat it was something like $40 just for those two.