Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What else do I need for my GMMG/LPP headers setup?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 09:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow What else do I need for my GMMG/LPP headers setup?

Hows everybody doing? So my GMMG should be here any day now! I bought it used from a great seller (SRZ)) on here. He had it on his lt1 camaro with custom CME tips so I am bidding on a set of Corsa clones on ebay(unless anybod has any GMMG ovals) for my 1994 LT1trans am. I plan to extinguish my savings and buy the LPP headers and ORY and just do the install all at once. Following multiple peoples advice on here and on ltxtech, I am going to hold off on the cats for the time being and see how I like the freeer/ louder system. I have never installed anything on my car and I have no prior experience with cars and I dont want to ruin an fbody...SOOOO that is where your advice comes into play. HERES what I need to know. I have the GMMG coming in and it comes with the exhaust hangers. I have tips coming in(i will need some clamps for them). I have the Ory. I have the headers.

1.) What else do I need? I think I need 02 extensions and someone said to get new 02 sensors as well. What sizes, brands?
2.) I'm going to buy stage 8 locking header bolts (any particular size needed ?)and new header gaskets(what brand/size should I get??).
3.) I dont know if i need to, but I thought while I am down there I could change the spark plugs and wires with better plugs and stronger wires(any reccomended brands?)
4.)Is that all I need besides jack stands and a tool kit to do the job myself.
5.) Should I buy anything kinda lube or spray to cover the headers or GMMG in to help them or whatnot. The GMMG needs a lil elbow grease to give it that nice shine again. What products should I use for this?
6.) Will I need a mail order tune tune? A cam is planned for the near future(next six months) and CAI, ewp, airfoil suspension components and pullies will also be going on soon(NEXT couple of months). Should I just wait until I put the other goodies and the cam on?

For all of those concerned with my lack of experience and taking on these tasks...Rest easy. I will have a automobile smarty helping me out...He owns a 2002 TA and I am confident he can navigate around my fbody(that sounds dirty .) I dont want to get started on the install only to realize I need this or that and have to put it off again...So please include anything I may need...even if it is some bolts or screws. Thanks people!
Old 10-21-2008, 10:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. You may need plugs for the ports for the rear o2 sensors since you arent running cats.
2.Im not sure about the bolts for LT1s, but get OEM GM gaskets from the Chevy dealer.
3.DEFINATELY a good idea to do the plugs/wires while your down there. Id use NGK/MSD.
4.Id get one or two freinds to help. Some PB blaster is your friend too.
5.Prolly just some mothers polish since GMMG is Stainless IIRC.
6.Dont know much about LT1s, but my LS1 is ok without a tune. It could be better, but ok. Gets Shitty gas mileage.

And if you get nice tips id get them welded on so people wont steal them. Good luck.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BlueBird346
1. You may need plugs for the ports for the rear o2 sensors since you arent running cats.
2.Im not sure about the bolts for LT1s, but get OEM GM gaskets from the Chevy dealer.
3.DEFINATELY a good idea to do the plugs/wires while your down there. Id use NGK/MSD.
4.Id get one or two freinds to help. Some PB blaster is your friend too.
5.Prolly just some mothers polish since GMMG is Stainless IIRC.
6.Dont know much about LT1s, but my LS1 is ok without a tune. It could be better, but ok. Gets Shitty gas mileage.

And if you get nice tips id get them welded on so people wont steal them. Good luck.
that is what you are...lol. thanks for your help. any other opinions, recommendations??
Old 10-21-2008, 10:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

BTW do headers really hurt gas mileage? I thought boltons were supposed to make a car more efficient and save gas(intake/exhaust).
Old 10-21-2008, 10:49 PM
Launching!

if its not tuned you might lose like 1mpg
Old 10-21-2008, 11:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They make it better than before if you get it tuned. Something about the o2s and cats mess with the computer, messing up the mileage.
Old 10-21-2008, 11:16 PM
Launching!

Its because the o2s are moved to a different spot and mess with the AFR.
Old 10-21-2008, 11:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

okay thanks guys. ;-)