Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hollow rattle sound from muffler area

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 10:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hollow rattle sound from muffler area

So I just got my Jet Hot headers on yesterday. Start it up and it sounds good at idle. Then I drive it. While it's still kind of cold, there is a hollow sounding rattle that is coming from the back of the car. It happened before when it wasn't getting the gas it wanted in reverse. Sounded like a vibration noise. Now with the headers it is very prominent under the smallest load while it's cold. After it warms up it sounds amazing and screams at WOT, but pat 3500 rpm you can hear the vibration again. Any idea what it could be? I have Corsa exhaust on the car.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:35 AM
TECH Resident

Check the "over the axle" pipe, if its positioned too close fwd on the aft side of the pan hard bar & support it will rub there until it gets good and warm. It expands at this point giving slightly more clearance and the rattle/vibration will usually disappear - (my Corsa is a tight fit in this particular area - I ended up wrapping a piece of helicopter hydraulic line / high heat tubing insulation around that portion of the PH bar).

Also - check and make sure the two big screw bolts are tight and secure on the exhaust hanger support just aft of the axle (passenger's side).
If those 2 bolts get slightly loose they will allow the over the axle pipe to lower slightly causing hitting/rubbing of the PH bar.

If the car is operated too long with those bolts loose it allows the exhaust to rattle excessively. They are self-tapping screw bolts and are harder than the parent material, the vibration causes the bolts to strip/wallow out the female threads. It can give you an even bigger headache down the road when you have to repair the threads. There isn't alot of meat where those bolts thread into...

Last edited by Weezzer; 11-16-2008 at 11:01 AM.
Old 11-16-2008, 03:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sweet. I'll have to find a time to get under it. Thanks a lot man.

On further noise identification.... the noise is more of a blat. lol
Old 11-16-2008, 11:07 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

check and see if the muffler is making any contact with the heat shield. i had that problem with my exhaust and tweaked the hangers to keep the muffler from rattling against the heat shield
Old 11-18-2008, 02:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'll have to check that out too. I just think that it is obscenely loud. I know it's supposed to be louder with headers because I'm not dumb, but it is ridiculous to the point where it sounds bad and is very blatty. Kinda frustrated with it.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:42 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SLPGTP
I'll have to check that out too. I just think that it is obscenely loud. I know it's supposed to be louder with headers because I'm not dumb, but it is ridiculous to the point where it sounds bad and is very blatty. Kinda frustrated with it.
Sounds like you also have rasp, you may have to add high flow cats as well.
Old 11-18-2008, 01:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

I got the good ole off-roaders.... I sure as **** hope I don't have to do that!
Old 11-19-2008, 02:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Don't know if there is a hanger loose and the headers are hitting the underside of the car. So all those who have Jet Hots, anyone ever have this problem? From what I understood was that these were darn near flawless in terms of install.

Quick Reply: Hollow rattle sound from muffler area