Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

March vs. ASP Underdrive Pulley Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 09:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default March vs. ASP Underdrive Pulley Questions

From searching I've seen people say March is the best all-around pulley, though a bit heavier than the ASP.
I am wondering a couple things...

1) What's going to be the difference between a pulley with and without the fluid dampening? The sales pitch says it prevents ignition issues, but I haven't heard of any complaints from people with an undampened pulley.

2) The March seems to be $30 cheaper than the ASP, so why would anyone prefer the ASP?

3) I see the March is sometimes sold with an alternator pulley. Is this an underdriven or overdriven pulley?

4) I know ASP makes an underdriven alternator pulley, and I wondered if this would be alright for a car that sees decent street time, but is by no means a daily driver (No AC or PS, basic 4-speaker stereo, HIDs, small battery).

5) If by a long shot, someone has seen these next to each other, is one any bigger than the other in terms of overall diameter?

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-24-2008, 09:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

if the pulleys claim to be the same percentage under-driven then their diameter where the belt rides should be virtually identical. also, the extra alternator pulley would be considered over-driven. since its spinning slower with the addition of the under-drive crank pulley, swapping out the alternator pulley to a smaller pulley would then speed it back up to stock speed.
Old 11-24-2008, 01:41 PM
On The Tree

Yeah, the running diameters are likely identical, I just didn't know if one had more lip or anything else. I'm mainly getting it for the sake of clearance with a swap project.

I was under the impression that a smaller alternator pulley would give less charge? Either way, ASP sells under and overdriven alternator pullies.
Old 11-24-2008, 02:57 PM
TECH Resident

They are both dampers. They are both 25% underdriven, which means they are both about 5.5" in diameter. You might want to contact the manufacturers to see if the AC part of the pulley if also 25% underdriven. Do some research on fluid filled dampers, which the March is, and you can make the concusion which is best. BTW, a smaller crank pulley will slow the accessories. A smaller accessory pulley will turn faster.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:57 PM
Banned

I have the March setup and like it, clean looking and I have no problems with it.
Old 11-26-2008, 03:53 PM
On The Tree

^The same has been said for every kind of damper countless times. There's got to be some logic in determining the "best," at least for specific applications. That's what I'm after.

You were right on the overdriven alternator pulley being smaller. Seems like turning the pulley faster and reducing weight would make a smaller alternator pulley a no-brainer. I don't see a downside, and don't see why anyone would opt for the larger-than-stock underdriven alternator, since it would add rotating mass while reducing charging power...?

All I could find from research was that a fluid damper is more effective at damping over a broader RPM range, for longer engine life. I just don't know how this translates into power, or how it prevents retarding timing.
Old 11-26-2008, 04:49 PM
TECH Resident

You have to decide what is best for YOU. How much rpm will you be turning, wht kind of crank, etc. In motorsports there are very few definitive "bests." Just because you are reducing the weight of the pulley, is it offseting the added power it takes to turn the alternator faster? These are the things you must think about when "modding."
Old 11-26-2008, 07:35 PM
On The Tree

That's what I'm trying to do, but I can't make an intelligent decision if I don't know what the benefits of each setup are. It's a bolt-on LS2 (stock long block and intake). I'm just the kind of person that likes to fully understand everything I touch and "mod."
Old 11-28-2008, 12:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I chose a March because from my research it was the the best at absorbing the torsional vibrations from the crank thus providing less stress on the bearings in theory. Does that mean I am right?? No! Just my choice.

Is the ASP lighter? Yes. Will you be able to feel it? No! Does it actually dampen as well?? Dunno really, so..... Make your choice just like I did