Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header Help Needed

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 01:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Header Help Needed

I have put a Tsp rumbler system on my car. And all it did was make me want it to be even louder haha. So Im thinkin on putting some headers and an off road y on my 98 formula. But the only help I have is my old man and we have a basic shade tree mechanic garage... No lifts or anything. So my question is: Based on other peoples experience can a couple of guys throw some headers on an ls1 in their garage? Oh yeah and will i need the ones with A.I.R. and E.G.R or not. IM not really worried about bein legal but i still want my car to run.
Old 11-27-2008, 01:33 PM
12 Second Club

Now with that outa the way. Yes it is very common for headers to be put on with out a lift. to answer your second question that depends on your state/county/city emissions tests and whether you care about them or not.
Old 11-27-2008, 01:35 PM
Launching!

Yes i installed some in a garage/porch... just make sure it's level ground and you have some good jack stands... you don't have to get the A.I.R or E.G.R provisions if you don't care about it being legal but you will have to delete them with a tune and delete the rear o2's if your not going to run cat's...
Old 11-27-2008, 02:44 PM
11 Second Club

i did mine in the garage with jackstands and a floor jack.
Old 11-29-2008, 10:20 PM
Teching In

Alright thanks guys. What good (other than keeping me legal) are the A.I.R. and E.G.R. sensors?
Old 11-29-2008, 10:33 PM
On The Tree

AIR pumps air to the cat to warm them up and the EGR pumps unburnt gas back into the system. so basically, not a damn thing
Old 11-30-2008, 11:42 AM
TECH Resident

Yes it is very easy to do in your garage with just the normal tools, especially if you have a helping hand. Just make sure you get it up high enough. I put the rear on ramps and the front on jackstands. I also just end with the race style headers and deleted my air and egr system. Your going to throw codes anyways bc your getting rite of you rear 2 o2 sensors so if you don't need the emssions stuff just get rid of it. I think they are easier to install with them systems removed. I would get some new oem gaskets or re use you old ones. I also did polymotor mount will i was at it and didn't have any y-pipe banging issues at all. You will also need some o2 extenstions or some bosch rear covette o2 sensors. I also reused my stock bolts and i have not had any problems yet.
Old 11-30-2008, 12:53 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

It's very simple to do a header install in a driveway when I had my SS we changed 3 sets as my combo changed. the key is to get the car high enough to get the header perpendicular to the ground. then slide it in and rotate it into position. I jusy did a set on my C5 those are better done on a lift what pain.
Old 11-30-2008, 03:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can be done in the garage, with a jack and a set of stands, just have to get it high enough to slip the headers in
Handy tool to have is a 10 mm racheting box end wrench (aka geardrive wrench)
Old 11-30-2008, 03:52 PM
12 Second Club

Well its not a f-body but we did ours in our stone driveway. (gto) Good luck...