Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How can I get this thing running?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 10:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How can I get this thing running?

So I bought a ls1 parts car for the motor and tranny and I want to hear it run.. Problem is no keys and no title. Let me first say NO the car is not stolen so don't think your helping me start a stolen car. Is there a write up on how to hot wire a camaro? I know the VATS **** has to be bypassed but whats my best bet to get this thing running?
Old 12-03-2008, 09:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

bump for myself, should I just try and buy a complete key and ignition?
Old 12-03-2008, 09:47 PM
Launching!

since you bought it don't you have some sort of bill of sale??? if so go down to the dealership show them that and the vin and try to get them to make you a key
Old 12-03-2008, 09:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by beezer1519
since you bought it don't you have some sort of bill of sale??? if so go down to the dealership show them that and the vin and try to get them to make you a key
Yeah I do have a bill of sale, but I believe the dealership needs to see a title to give you keys.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

you should be able to start it but it will only run for a few seconds. without knowing the specific resistence for the key it would be hard to guess at resister values. they have a DEI bypass kit used for remote starts that could work. its adjustable by a turn dial. when you install it into a car for a remote start you put the key in the ignition. then you find the wires for the VATS system (they are in a bundle maybe yellow runing down the steering column and if i remember correctly one wire is bare) and connect a multimeter to it to read the key's resistence going to the computer. then you hook your multimeter to the DEI bypass box and read its resistence. you turn the small dial on it until it matches the reading you got from the key. then following the instructions you hook it into the car so when the box is supplied with power it intercepts those VATS wires and gives the computer the correct resistence so that its fooled into thinking the key is in the ignition so the car can be remote started. basic remote start wiring colors can be found by searching. you would want to take the hot wire and splice it to the ignition 1 and ignition 2 wires then when you apply the hot to the starter wire the motor will turn over. you would want to then release the connection on the starter wire to disengage the starter but leave the connections solid to the main ignition wires(prolly two seperate wires im not sure without looking at a diagram) hope this helps. the DEI box number for bypassing VATS that i use is PLJX. just do a search for that and you will see it.

Last edited by 01ssreda4; 12-04-2008 at 09:59 PM.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
you should be able to start it but it will only run for a few seconds. without knowing the specific resistence for the key it would be hard to guess at resister values. they have a DEI bypass kit used for remote starts that could work. its adjustable by a turn dial. when you install it into a car for a remote start you put the key in the ignition. then you find the wires for the VATS system (they are in a bundle maybe yellow runing down the steering column and if i remember correctly one wire is bare) and connect a multimeter to it to read the key's resistence going to the computer. then you hook your multimeter to the DEI bypass box and read its resistence. you turn the small dial on it until it matches the reading you got from the key. then following the instructions you hook it into the car so when the box is supplied with power it intercepts those VATS wires and gives the computer the correct resistence so that its fooled into thinking the key is in the ignition so the car can be remote started. basic remote start wiring colors can be found by searching. you would want to take the hot wire and splice it to the ignition 1 and ignition 2 wires then when you apply the hot to the starter wire the motor will turn over. you would want to then release the connection on the starter wire to disengage the starter but leave the connections solid to the main ignition wires(prolly two seperate wires im not sure without looking at a diagram) hope this helps. the DEI box number for bypassing VATS that i use is PLJX. just do a search for that and you will see it.
wow, i appreciate you typing all that out, i really hope this works! thanks
Old 12-04-2008, 10:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

well its not will it work ha ha. i know it will. i installed remote starters for a living for a while. but some people arent good with electrical and some just plain dont like it. you need to know how to work or be familiar with a multimeter and it would really help you you knew some basic circuit knowledge. at any rate the wires are so blatently looking you in your face after you pull the knee panel off the drivers side its just rediculous. your hot/igns/accs main wires are huge compared to anything else under there they stand out like a sore thumb. the airbag wires may be wrapped in yellow also so dont confuse those with the VATS wires running directly to the driver key. the VATS are by themselves and i dont know what color they are wrapped in but trust me you can find them along the steering column.

edit: also, the DEI unit i quoted above i never got to use personally as the last time i did one of these on a VATS equipped vehicle it was a previous design bypess by DEI that was slightly different

Last edited by 01ssreda4; 12-04-2008 at 11:13 PM.
Old 12-04-2008, 11:07 PM
TECH Resident

the problem with that is you dont have the key to get the resistance off of. you would have to try all fifteen settings, one at a time, disconecting the battery for 10 min to reset the vats each time you tried the wrong one. can be done just time consuming. your best bet would be to find someone local with tuning software to turn the vats off. all you would need to do is a half hotwire to get the key to the on position, not have to crank it over, and you should be able to disable the vats via hptuners or such. good luck
Old 12-04-2008, 11:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

okay I will try and let you guys know the results. thanks
Old 12-04-2008, 11:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

what about another computer pulled from a car with a set of keys to go with it and swapping it into that car for the start-up?
Old 12-04-2008, 11:58 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually came across a VATS bypass on ebay for like 70 bucks yesterday. I dunno the quality or not (they look well made) or if it would be beneficial to you or not but just an idea to get you going. I would think you can just splice in the bypass and then hot wire it.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Red96TA
I actually came across a VATS bypass on ebay for like 70 bucks yesterday. I dunno the quality or not (they look well made) or if it would be beneficial to you or not but just an idea to get you going. I would think you can just splice in the bypass and then hot wire it.
Ya I just looked and I found some VATS disable chips for like $30. Not sure how they work but i might as well give it a try
Old 12-05-2008, 10:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

they should be 30 to 40. guessing the mystery key's resistence is the part im not sure about exactly bc i have always had keys to verify with when doing remote starts.