Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems starting

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 08:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems starting

I have an '02 Trans Am and recently have been having problems starting, but only every once in a while. Sometimes it will start right up but if it doesn't start it will not even try to turn over. Its not the battery or alternator because ive tested them. If I mess around with it long enough i can get it to start so Im thinking it might be something with the ignition. I was wondering if anyone has had this problem too and what they came across?
Old 12-07-2008, 08:27 PM
11 Second Club

There are two little wires in the ignition that will get pulled, wear or tare over time. Also have had your vats checked out?

Matt
Old 12-07-2008, 11:59 PM
Launching!

If sometimes it just cranks right up with no preblem at all then sometimes it doesn't do ****. Not even a click click click click then you might wanna check to see if you battery terminals are clean. Sometime they get caroded and you could have problems starting. If they are clean then maybe scrape into them to make sure it's metal to metal touching and no type of coating or film. Sometimes there will be a coating and you can't even see it.

If that doesn't help then might wanna check to see if your body ground it good. If it's good then check your power cable going to the starter. and the ignitions wire that's on the starter also.

These are just a few "FREE" things to look at before taking it somewhere. You can either buy terminal cleaner or just use veniger, if you don't have any vinigar soda will actually work because of the acid but would suggest venigar or terminal cleaner.
Old 12-08-2008, 12:30 AM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Starter Solenoid going out possibly..
Old 12-08-2008, 11:42 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the same problem when I first bought my car. It turned out that the nut that connects the cable to the battery was a little loose, it was more than hand tight but it wasn't competely snug. I tightened it up and never had the problem again. Next time it won't start check your dome lights and radio, if they won't turn on then you've got some problems connecting to the battery.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:34 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by the_merv
Thats what i was thinking.....

I had the same issue with this. Starter was the problem. Good Luck
Old 12-08-2008, 08:48 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah I will check the battery over good but i dont think thats going to be the problem. Because when it will not start the lights and radio come on just fine.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:10 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by the_merv
Originally Posted by downtown_ss
Yeah I will check the battery over good but i dont think thats going to be the problem. Because when it will not start the lights and radio come on just fine.

You might be able to jump it with a screw driver by going accross poss n neg. on the starter. Just touch the screw driver accross both next time it wont start (on the starter). Also can bang the **** out of it and see if the bendix will jump out and catch.

Only do this after you've checked everything else out very thuroughly.