Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is an E-cutout my best bet?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 04:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Is an E-cutout my best bet?

My car came with QTP LTs, ORY, magnaflow catback with the canons. Which is great for a DD i bet.

If i did it, i probably would of went true duals since it isn't a DD. Better sound and louder, right?

Everything usually comes down to money and i'd like to increase the sound without spending too much, but i don't think a cutout will sound all that great. Youtube videos just kinda give you an idea.

So what should I do, swap it all out for an x-pipe and true duals, or just save some money and get an E cutout at the axle or two after the headers? I'd imagine that'd be the most expensive.

Probably just gonna get the E cutout at the axle, but please share your opinion.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:17 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would put the cutout rite under the rear seat. Mine isn't a dd either and i got one the loudness gets old after awhile especially going down the interstate so its nice to be able to quiet it with the flip of the switch
Old 12-22-2008, 09:21 AM
12 Second Club

so you want to get an e-cutout to save money over td's? why not just sell your exhaust and get some td's using that money? If you offer a trade up on the boards I'm sure somebody is wanting something quieter and will trade you a td setup, maybe not straight but probably close. If it's not a dd then I would just get td's. Mine was a dd for over a year and I had td's on it, they weren't bad at all.
Old 12-22-2008, 02:16 PM
TECH Addict

A cutout sounds bad ***. It doesn't sound great like TDs do tho. Save money and get the electric cutout. With TDs you cant control how loud/quiet you are. With y pipe and a cutout you can.
Old 12-22-2008, 05:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

So if i have a y-pipe i can put a cutout on one side of the pipe. I was thinking about that, and it just didn't seem like that would be a good idea. One header has free flowing exhaust and the other header doesnt'...

I was thinking about swapping exhaust systems, but then i'd have to tear out my exhaust and package it and ship it and then install the new one, sounds like a little bit of a hassle.
Old 12-22-2008, 05:06 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BlkBird2000
A cutout sounds bad ***. It doesn't sound great like TDs do tho. Save money and get the electric cutout. With TDs you cant control how loud/quiet you are. With y pipe and a cutout you can.
+1!!

I had TD's and went back to a traditional setup with an ORY and an e-cutout. I much prefer this setup...I get total volume control. I run an SLP Dual/Dual which sounds great by itself, and when I want to be wild, I open the cutout all the way. Sounds amazing with the cam. However, you can crack the valve open little by little and each time you bump the button, the car gets slightly louder. It's awesome and gives you just about every option as far as volume goes.
Old 12-22-2008, 05:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

where did you put your cutout?
Old 12-22-2008, 06:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

cut-outs sound like dumptrucks
Old 12-22-2008, 09:12 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by allbaugh_04
So if i have a y-pipe i can put a cutout on one side of the pipe. I was thinking about that, and it just didn't seem like that would be a good idea. One header has free flowing exhaust and the other header doesnt'...

I was thinking about swapping exhaust systems, but then i'd have to tear out my exhaust and package it and ship it and then install the new one, sounds like a little bit of a hassle.
If you are going with one cutout put it on the straight length of pipe that goes from your y to the catback. There's a little cubby hole back there that works good.