Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headers/ORY install

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2003, 12:58 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Headers/ORY install

Well, just bought some pacestter long tube headers and the ory pipe. Is there anthing special you have to do for the install? Will be (try) doing it at the house and any little tips help. Heard the starter and the plugs have to be removed.. Is that it? Thanks. Or if anyone knows of a website that will take you thru the steps?? The car is a 99 TA.
Old 09-30-2003, 01:48 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Headers/ORY install

How long has it been since you changed the plugs and wires? Now is the best time to get that done since you'll have to take a couple plugs out to get your headers in. I didn't have to take my starter out but I did have to disconnect the steering linkage and remove the A/C and dip-stick. You can re-use your stock bolts no problem just put some threadlock on them and you might also want some high-temp gasket maker to go between the headers/gasket/block. Good luck and remember it's always easier if you have a friend to help out.
Old 09-30-2003, 01:54 PM
10 Second Club

Yea, i bought all new NGK plugs and MSD Wires. WAs going to replace all that too when i make the header swap. Anyone know a website?
Old 09-30-2003, 02:49 PM
Teching In

I recently installed Pacesetter headers with ORY pipe. I had to remove the plugs, oil dipstick, and steering linkage. Also, there's a square block (approx. 1"x1"x.75) on the drivers side of the engine block. I had to cut approx. 1/2" off in order to get the header to fit.
Old 09-30-2003, 02:56 PM
10 Second Club

how long did it take?
Old 09-30-2003, 03:01 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i couldnt remove the steering shaft on mine so i grinded down the block tab. i have jet hots. just reuse the old bolts and gaskets if there in good condition. a big thing is just gettin your car high enough to allow the headers to go in, and lining up the Y can be a bitch.
Old 09-30-2003, 03:10 PM
Teching In

If you dont want to grind anything down or mess with the steering shaft just loosen the bolts that hold the motor mount to the frame and jack the engine up a couple of inches that will give you enough clearance.
Old 09-30-2003, 03:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

My buddy and I used brute force and shoved my Hooker LTs right in there. It may take a while, only took us 35 mins to get em up there. Just keep in mind, once they are in, you are gonna pop the hood and see bling bling!
Old 09-30-2003, 05:18 PM
Staging Lane

The driverside is the hardest side. I removed the steering shaft instead of cutting on the block. On the Pass side I installed the new plugs before I put the header in and that saved some time. Expect between 3.5 and 5.5 hours.
Old 09-30-2003, 05:29 PM
11 Second Club

just unbolt your motor mounts and jack it up a little and they will slide right in with out removing your steering shaft or cutting the block. and you dont have to remove the starter
Old 09-30-2003, 06:57 PM
TECH Veteran

I got the Pacesetters on a GP here I was completely done start to finish in 3hrs 45 mins. (I am lucky to work at a shop), that also included a few minutes of hearing it with open headers. . I DID NOT have to do anything but grind about 1/8th inch of the spot on the block, less than a minute.The passenger side slid in like butter. I know some people will disagree but the Pacesetters are the bomb!
Old 09-30-2003, 09:53 PM
Staging Lane

Tip from Lane at Lane's performance as related to me ... with the car on ramps, take the tranny mount crossmember off, and let the engine "droop" down on it's mounts. According to Lane, the headers will just "slide right in" ...